Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting sick of waiting in hopes that vendors will make parts for these cars. I've been doing a little digging and I've found quite a few shops near me that do custom exhaust/metal fabrication and have done some really neat setups with other cars.

Anyone have this done before? I assume that it shouldn't cost most than a few hundred dollars per pipe, at least according to prices from other vehicle message boards I've found. I was thinking 3" stainless w/highflow cats...

Do you think it would be worthwhile to have something fabricated opposed to waiting for a bolt on solution? Spring is almost here and I'm getting impatient lol.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
249 Posts
I dunno if the turbo being bolted directly to the block raises any difficulty in the fab work.

I salute you in getting out there and trying, I've been dying for parts since the summer of 15 when I got my Edge Sport and just last week I ordered the very first set of springs ever made for the car period. Pretty cool knowing I bought the very firs set ever, but ****! I'm tired of waiting on parts and being in Hawaii makes it REALLY hard to take my car to someone for some RandD

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like some down pipes sometime I think. With a good tune and pipes you're looking pretty deep into the 12's.
That's what I'm thinking. I have some feelers out to a few shops, so we'll see what they say. If I find a shop, maybe they can create a template for other people here than want some fabbed up?

I dunno if the turbo being bolted directly to the block raises any difficulty in the fab work.
I sort of doubt it, but I haven't looked at it too closely either. Maybe a little harder to reach if anything? I feel your pain about the aftermarket. Back in my TBird days, we had to get creative with our mods as most of the performance community ignored us lol

Have you thought about just gutting the stock cats and go from there.
I need cats in my state, unfortunately. Besides, I'd like to be able to swap it all back to stock in the event I want to sell it in the future. As the old saying goes, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right :)

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
My fear is that its going to be a royal pain in the a$$ and once you go catless, you wont want to go through the hassle again.
Too bad its not set up like infinity since they used v band clamps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I expect the aftermarket will eventually step up to meet demand, but I expect it will take a long while for something like that. Fitting for an AWD V6 car is probably going to be difficult - is there even a DP that fits the 2.0 AWD cars? Since these are a performance oriented car, I think it will receive a little more attention than that.

My guess would be that materials total 300-450 per piece, plus 4-6 hours of labor to remove, build, fit, weld and install. At $75/hr, that's another 300-450. So, $1200 to $1800 for the pair, plus if you want to extend the 3" stainless pipes to feed the resonator...

Any updates? I know it's only been a couple of days, but now I'm impatient. :p I want to know how close I am!

Reactions: qwerty3089

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol no updates yet. Not sure if the shops I put feelers out to are busy or what but I'm still waiting on replies/quotes.

I have another local shop that does exhaust stuff only, so I may give them a ring a little bit later as see if it's something they'd be interested in tackling. Unfortunately with the latest snow fall here, I wont be looking to have this done for another few weeks at the earliest.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
If it's performance you're after, I would start on the other side. There are spots on the rear charge pipe that, when I grab it, my finger tips touch around it. I don't have big hands, and I'd guess those spots are no more than 1.5 inches in diameter. I'm pretty sure the tiny charge pipes are the reason for the lackluster high RPM power. Some decent 2" charge pipes and bigger intercooler would make the turbo lag worse, but I bet they would shave a heavy chunk of time off your ET.

Reactions: qwerty3089
1 - 9 of 9 Posts