Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a slight hint of the musty smell if the AC was used in the previous drive cycle. I have sprayed Lysol by the intakes under the wiper area and changed the cabin air filter. I am also using the AC in recirculation mode to minimize the outside humidity entering the evaporator. I would like to check if the AC's drain is clogged but am unable to locate it
while looking under the car or in the engine compartment.
I think performing this last procedure will eliminate any remaining issue that may cause the smell to reoccur. Has anyone done this before? Hopefully, it's relatively easy to access and clean.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You should probably take it into the dealership. AC compressor is on the passenger side in front of the wheel.

Check out one of my posts about downpipe install, I have pictures of it

·
Registered
618 Posts
A/C compressor has nothing to do with weather the drain is clogged or not, what usually happens is at some point during the winter a spider will take up residence in the drain. They basically plug the hole, and so when you go to use the A/C after the winter the water doesn't drain out of the heater box. The drain is over towards the middle of the car on the right side. Dead give away that's it's clogged will be that fact your not seeing any water on the ground under the drain on a hot humid day with the A/C running full blast. Easy way to check it, is just park it in the drive way, with the A/C on. wait a bit and look under the car for a wet spot, and really on a really hot day with high humidity you should see a steady drip from under the drain.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately, my Tracy Lewis catch can is mounted on the passenger side firewall. so I can't see if the drain is accessible from the top. I'll look for the tell tale wet spot since we're going to have high humidity this weekend and hopefully, that'll lead me to its location.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
281 Posts
A/C compressor has nothing to do with weather the drain is clogged or not, what usually happens is at some point during the winter a spider will take up residence in the drain. They basically plug the hole, and so when you go to use the A/C after the winter the water doesn't drain out of the heater box. The drain is over towards the middle of the car on the right side. Dead give away that's it's clogged will be that fact your not seeing any water on the ground under the drain on a hot humid day with the A/C running full blast. Easy way to check it, is just park it in the drive way, with the A/C on. wait a bit and look under the car for a wet spot, and really on a really hot day with high humidity you should see a steady drip from under the drain.
Where is the drain if it is plugged?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts