Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Anyone out there with videos of what their car sounds like with just an "H" pipe installed? Everything else with the exhaust still stock. Please share if so. I'm choosing "H" pipe over "X" pipe because I'm wanting that deeper tone and would prefer not to lose lower end torque/power.

I've been researching for awhile now from facebook groups, to youtube videos, to forums to see if anyone has just an "H" pipe installed on their fusion sport and haven't had much luck. I'm wanting to give my 2017 fusion sport I just got a little rumble without spending hundreds. But if I must, then I will go with an exhaust/muffler kit as long as it's not crazy loud.

·
Registered
875 Posts
It’s possible the H pipe config isn’t very common due to the extremely limited space in the tunnel. IIRC to accomplish what you’re after, the correct length for the bridge is also related to the pipe diameter. As in, it can be too wide to be effective in pulse attenuation and flow distribution, or it can be too narrow as to be more efficient as an X pipe. One thing is certain; exhaust system engineering is complex and fascinating but also subject to a lot of debate if done on the back of a napkin, so to speak. When Lotus was leading the industry in noise-cancellation through sound wave manipulation before the advent of digital methods, I read some stuff that I had to reread three times then phone a friend with a PhD to explain it to me! Good luck!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Balance pipes are not good for turbos.

·
Super Moderator
1,312 Posts
Personally wouldn't bother with X or H on turbo car. Straight is the way to go...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

@Oreo You recommend straight pipes replacing the resonator or replacing the "water tank" mufflers? Do you happen to have a video of how it sounds? Also would like to make sure there is no drone.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I just received a email from burns stainless steel exhaust company , there thoughts are it is not needed nor do they think there is any performance gain to be had by adding the x-pipe or h-pipe also they added there might be a slight tone change if either pipe was added

Reactions: DexGonGiveItToYa

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
imo it comes down to what you like for sound I run no rear muffler with turn downs at the rear axle that is the sound I prefer but to each his own

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
yes around 80 mph on the free way but it is not bad and I did keep the stock resonator

·
Registered
721 Posts
Someone stated that our resonator is a form of X-Pipe. I replaced my resonator with the MagnaFlow 11385 which is a X-Pipe Muffler with no baffles, just straight through.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
There is a custom exhaust thread here , I would look in there for some ideas also there are a few sound clips as well , might steer you in the right direction

·
Registered
875 Posts
Dex, when my OE resonator inexplicably split open like a potato chip bag, I took the opportunity to have a local exhaust shop install an unresonated X-pipe to replace it. Cost me $60.00 and inside the car it sounded like driving a UPS truck. Terrible resonance & drone. That was with otherwise completely OE exhaust. I drove it like that for a grand total of 12 days before ordering the MagnaFlow resonated X pipe and having it installed. That corrected the problems, made a nice deeper tone inside the car, and did absolutely nothing for the sound outside the car. Two years later I now have a full downpipes back 2.5” custom exhaust that set me back $1200 as a custom shop had to hand bend and fab every inch of it. It still has resonance but no drone. IMO there’s no inexpensive way to make a 165 cubic inch twin-turbo V6 sound like anything other than what it is.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts