Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't recommend it. But you'd have to disable the rear O2 sensors otherwise you will get an error code. It will also make your exhaust smell horrible.
Horrible how? My Tbird just smelled like gas (idled rich when cold). More specifically that leaded goid stuff. It was a 4.6L 2V with kooks 3/4 length headers and 2.5 inch dual exhaust. Miss that car sometimes.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Horrible how? My Tbird just smelled like gas (idled rich when cold). More specifically that leaded goid stuff. It was a 4.6L 2V with kooks 3/4 length headers and 2.5 inch dual exhaust. Miss that car sometimes.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
It's only "horrible" to people who don't own classics or were not around when a good bulk of cars didn't have cats.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm sure it is subjective, but my nose is very sensitive to smells. So to me, an off-road exhaust system on a well-tuned fuel injected car smells like used engine oil being burnt. On my Ducati which runs an off-road Termignoni race exhaust, it reeks of gas. It's fuel injected but it is old-school Alpha-N and closed-loop O2 system for low throttle stuff complete with shower head injectors.

But on a nicer vehicle like a SHO or Fusion Sport, I'd prefer a cleaner exhaust system. I did run the off-road X-pipe system on my Mustang GT for awhile and loved the sound and extra power, but the smell during the summer wasn't always the best. On the Fusion Sport, you'd get some power and make it sound more like a ricer, so my recommendation is to not do it. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
34 Posts
With the Turbo Buicks we Always Gutted the Stock Cats, and it was Proven over time (20+years lol) to be worth 2 mph (1/4mi) Every time! I would like to try gutting rather than New Downpipes as the Stock pipe diameter is Optimal for our Small turbos...

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I am looking for some stock downpipes as I would like to try this , with all this covid 19 stuff going on I have plenty of time tools and lifts at my fingertips

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
If any member has a set of stock downpipes laying around let me know I would like to purchase them

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am still looking for some stock down pipes if any members want to sell them in the interest of science lol

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm messing around with turbo lag right now. Oddly enough the stock tune has 100ms delay built into the turbo (says delay for turbo when boost is commanded) and its set to 100ms (only .1 second) but still... I set it to 16ms (.01 second) and im sure its in my head but it really did seem to improve response

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm messing around with turbo lag right now. Oddly enough the stock tune has 100ms delay built into the turbo (says delay for turbo when boost is commanded) and its set to 100ms (only .1 second) but still... I set it to 16ms (.01 second) and im sure its in my head but it really did seem to improve response
I'd think this would do two things:

1. Increase responsiveness. You wouldn't think it would make much difference with less than 1/10 sec difference, but I bet what it's really doing for you is keeping your turbos spun up pretty much 100% of the time, or close to.

2. Decrease turbo life, because it's keeping your turbos spun up probably close to 100% of the time. Which is why I think they have that delay in there in the first place (well, that and CAFE probably).

But whether or not the lifespan difference matters, I can't say. I'm not sure what the actual lifetime is on a turbo. I imagine it's pretty long time, so may not be an issue at all. But I bet it does get more "snappy" with that down at 16. That's pretty cool!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just had another thought on this though..... Would this maybe reduce the need for brake boosting for those who go to the track? Because your turbos would be pretty much ready to rock instantly at all times. I know there's still a little spinup but I bet the reaction time is faster after this.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Based on my own experiences there seems to be some torque limiting safety nannies that intervene when you go 100% WOT from a stand still that cant be disabled. My guess is Ford engineers wanted to protect the transmission/ PTU from premature failure

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
THIS!! Once in a while, some magic combo gives me what that engine is capable of.
But it is very rare. I don't think it is the engine as much as it is the controls

·
Registered
394 Posts
If anyone here is interested in catless downpipes upgrade but dont want to pay $1200 for the ultimate performance offering there may be a new affordable option coming very soon. I heard about it on the FB group. They are in development now. (2.5 inch diameter stainless steel, no catalytic converters) As soon as I know more I can keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
THIS!! Once in a while, some magic combo gives me what that engine is capable of.
But it is very rare. I don't think it is the engine as much as it is the controls
My 2018 Explorer N/A 3.5 has a delay as well. I suspect it has to do with the trans/PTU as well. I can power brake but as soon as the vehicle moves, it just bogs off the line until over 3k RPM. My 2014 SHO didn't have this problem.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I received a email from ultimate performance today , they are not going to build 2.5 inch down pipes any time soon

21 - 34 of 34 Posts