Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So much for floating over potholes ... And I do all I can to avoid them.

In NYC this is a way of life but more disappointing when you sell a car floating over ping pong balls on your sales pitch.

Eric

·
Registered
215 Posts
I've never seen my Sport float over a pothole. While I like the suspension system on this car, the pothole detection in my experience is pure mythology.

·
Registered
529 Posts
While I think it's a marketing point for Ford, most people may have a skewed perception of what it is supposed to do. My understanding of how this works is that when a pothole (depression) is detected, it stiffens the damper to the stiffest setting to avoid a full extension. However, there is still some sort feeling/motion into the abnormality as the entire portion of the car is going to drop (laws of physics).

"The new Fusion V6 Sport substantially reduces the harsh impact potholes often deliver," said Ford engineering expert, Jason Michener. "Our new pothole mitigation technology works by actually detecting potholes and ‘catching’ the car’s wheel before it has a chance to drop all the way into the pothole."

I have noticed that it is better at avoiding the jarring and harsh impacts, but I do still feel potholes. A hole large enough is going to cause damage regardless if the dampers stiffen or not.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Unfortunately it's hard to test unless you've got another Fusion without pothole detection that you can drive over the same pothole back to back for comparison. I certainly can't say for certain that it doesn't work, but I did expect it to have more of a noticeable difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts