Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
UP FMIC, Steeda CAI, 93 Unleashed Tune
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently installed the UP FMIC and got a 93 tune from Torrie and I love how much those 2 things really changed the car, but I want more! I'm thinking about maybe installing CRP Turbos (40.6mm) and the UP 3" catted downpipes, along with the BBK 65mm throttle body, but I am not sure if its worth it to spend that much to upgrade the car. Or if any other mods would make a difference and wouldn't cost a ton. It is my daily driver so I want the car to still be reliable, but more power would be great too. I appreciate any and all ideas and opinions.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
524 Posts
So I recently installed the UP FMIC and got a 93 tune from Torrie and I love how much those 2 things really changed the car, but I want more! I'm thinking about maybe installing CRP Turbos (40.6mm) and the UP 3" catted downpipes, along with the BBK 65mm throttle body, but I am not sure if its worth it to spend that much to upgrade the car. Or if any other mods would make a difference and wouldn't cost a ton. It is my daily driver so I want the car to still be reliable, but more power would be great too. I appreciate any and all ideas and opinions.
All the guys I know of running top drag times and peak dyno pulls have larger turbos. As I understand the stock 2.7 turbos are small and while punchy, they lack top end grunt. As far as exhaust goes, from what I'm aware of exhaust only really starts to help or matter with larger turbos and more airflow, so you'd be good to change those too. You may also look into the MKZ turbo retrofit which has become quite popular on our cars.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
All the guys I know of running top drag times and peak dyno pulls have larger turbos. As I understand the stock 2.7 turbos are small and while punchy, they lack top end grunt. As far as exhaust goes, from what I'm aware of exhaust only really starts to help or matter with larger turbos and more airflow, so you'd be good to change those too. You may also look into the MKZ turbo retrofit which has become quite popular on our cars.
Everything @DarkArkAngel said is true. I just want to add that the stock turbos are good up to about 400-450 crank HP. They're rated at 200 each, so 400 totally in spec, you can push to about 450, beyond that I've seen guys take them over 500 on stock turbos but you're way, way outside the operating margins by that point so I don't recommend it. Just depends how much power you're trying to make.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My only thinking of not doing the MKZ turbo swap is that they aren't too much bigger than our stock factory turbos and if I'm already spending the money to have them swapped out, I'd rather go with something a little bit bigger and better with CRP.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
My only thinking of not doing the MKZ turbo swap is that they aren't too much bigger than our stock factory turbos and if I'm already spending the money to have them swapped out, I'd rather go with something a little bit bigger and better with CRP.
The other thing to consider is this is your daily driver. Just remember the bigger the turbos, the longer it's going to take to spin them up and make power, and we already see the difference with people on here reporting the MKZ turbos have a lot more top-end, but they lose performance on the low end to get it. In normal driving, most of the folks I've seen who've driven both think the stock 2.7 turbos are actually better for just regular daily driving because of the low-end power you get with the stock turbos. But there's no question on the high end the MKZ turbos (and probably even more so with custom aftermarket turbos) would open it up at the top. So you have to think about what you really want because it is a trade-off to some extent. If you're tracking it, definitely upgrade the turbos. For daily driving, I'm not sure I'd do that myself, but everyone's situation is different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other thing to consider is this is your daily driver. Just remember the bigger the turbos, the longer it's going to take to spin them up and make power, and we already see the difference with people on here reporting the MKZ turbos have a lot more top-end, but they lose performance on the low end to get it. In normal driving, most of the folks I've seen who've driven both think the stock 2.7 turbos are actually better for just regular daily driving because of the low-end power you get with the stock turbos. But there's no question on the high end the MKZ turbos (and probably even more so with custom aftermarket turbos) would open it up at the top. So you have to think about what you really want because it is a trade-off to some extent. If you're tracking it, definitely upgrade the turbos. For daily driving, I'm not sure I'd do that myself, but everyone's situation is different.
I didn't even think about that at all, that's definitely something to remember.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You can make them light sooner with tuning to a point, but anytime you change the AR your gonna loose some bottom end. Back in the day when I had my 7.3 SD, we would take the stock .84 AR housing off and go with a 1.15 from a E van. Truck would pull like a freight train up high, but you would loose a little bottom end. 450 HP and 900 lbs of torque is fun in a 8000 lb truck. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
You can make them light sooner with tuning to a point, but anytime you change the AR your gonna loose some bottom end. Back in the day when I had my 7.3 SD, we would take the stock .84 AR housing off and go with a 1.15 from a E van. Truck would pull like a freight train up high, but you would loose a little bottom end. 450 HP and 900 lbs of torque is fun in a 8000 lb truck. :)
I think an important difference is 438ci displacement and being a diesel it could tolerate a little loss down low. With our puny 162ci displacement the lost low end response makes me sad sometimes. But then I’m cruising at 85 on the highway and just squeeze the throttle gently and it leaps up to 110, pressing me back in the seat and my sad goes away!

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package, 33k miles; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
524 Posts
I think an important difference is 438ci displacement and being a diesel it could tolerate a little loss down low. With our puny 162ci displacement the lost low end response makes me sad sometimes. But then I’m cruising at 85 on the highway and just squeeze the throttle gently and it leaps up to 110, pressing me back in the seat and my sad goes away!
What I'd truly love to see is a DIY implementation of Volvo's air system that stores air for WOT events then injects the air into the intake when needed, almost immediately spooling the turbos and helping remove lag. Or if they could figure out electric turbos (I'll even take electrically assisted).

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you're still on the stock all seasons, move to a decent summer tire. Let's youget the extra power down and makes a difference if you're not moving in a straight line. Does make a difference to handling and corner speed confidence.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you're still on the stock all seasons, move to a decent summer tire. Let's youget the extra power down and makes a difference if you're not moving in a straight line. Does make a difference to handling and corner speed confidence.
Yea I do have Continental Extremecontact DWS06's and they have made a big difference

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What I'd truly love to see is a DIY implementation of Volvo's air system that stores air for WOT events then injects the air into the intake when needed, almost immediately spooling the turbos and helping remove lag. Or if they could figure out electric turbos (I'll even take electrically assisted).
I had to look this up because I’d never heard of it. It’s literally a mini-air compressor and tank mounted on the engine! The mechanical part would probably be easier if there was any room whatsoever in our engine bay. I imagine that it could be pretty stone-age controls, right? The compressor keeps the tank filled based on a pressure switch and the tank discharges based on a vacuum switch? Even in the pictures and videos I looked at, there’s no massive ribbon cable or sensors stuck all over the thing. Could it be that simple? It could probably be replicated with air ride components if the compressor is up to the duty cycle. Then again - if I had no turbo lag I’d probably be constantly stabbing the throttle for thrills and I’d need a huge tank…I could imagine my wife and girlfriend complaining if I stuck my old 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor in the back seat! Haha!
Font Automotive tire Machine Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
I had to look this up because I’d never heard of it. It’s literally a mini-air compressor and tank mounted on the engine! The mechanical part would probably be easier if there was any room whatsoever in our engine bay. I imagine that it could be pretty stone-age controls, right? The compressor keeps the tank filled based on a pressure switch and the tank discharges based on a vacuum switch? Even in the pictures and videos I looked at, there’s no massive ribbon cable or sensors stuck all over the thing. Could it be that simple? It could probably be replicated with air ride components if the compressor is up to the duty cycle. Then again - if I had no turbo lag I’d probably be constantly stabbing the throttle for thrills and I’d need a huge tank…I could imagine my wife and girlfriend complaining if I stuck my old 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor in the back seat! Haha! View attachment 29751
Someone with more money than me has to get on this 😂 I think it'd be a sick system.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I had to look this up because I’d never heard of it. It’s literally a mini-air compressor and tank mounted on the engine! The mechanical part would probably be easier if there was any room whatsoever in our engine bay. I imagine that it could be pretty stone-age controls, right? The compressor keeps the tank filled based on a pressure switch and the tank discharges based on a vacuum switch? Even in the pictures and videos I looked at, there’s no massive ribbon cable or sensors stuck all over the thing. Could it be that simple? It could probably be replicated with air ride components if the compressor is up to the duty cycle. Then again - if I had no turbo lag I’d probably be constantly stabbing the throttle for thrills and I’d need a huge tank…I could imagine my wife and girlfriend complaining if I stuck my old 30 gallon Craftsman air compressor in the back seat! Haha! View attachment 29751
Would like more details. Is it just trying to spin up the turbo vanes faster, or actually trying to create enough extra air for the engine to be in boost and essentially spin the turbo faster by default. I still don't understand the holdup on electric turbos. You could get 400 HP out of a 2.0, 30 years ago. Imagine instant boost on even a 1.5/2.0 engine, let alone 2.7/3.0.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't thing we'll ever see any of the American car companies doing anything with this because of the big push to get people to drive electric junk.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Would like more details. Is it just trying to spin up the turbo vanes faster, or actually trying to create enough extra air for the engine to be in boost and essentially spin the turbo faster by default. I still don't understand the holdup on electric turbos. You could get 400 HP out of a 2.0, 30 years ago. Imagine instant boost on even a 1.5/2.0 engine, let alone 2.7/3.0.
The big issue with electric turbos as I understand it currently is they need tons of juice to work, more than you'd ever get from an alternator. However I think with a 48V mild hybrid you could definitely look into the system. Also reliability is a big concern with these as well, since the motors driving the impellers are under some serious stresses.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The big issue with electric turbos as I understand it currently is they need tons of juice to work, more than you'd ever get from an alternator. However I think with a 48V mild hybrid you could definitely look into the system. Also reliability is a big concern with these as well, since the motors driving the impellers are under some serious stresses.
I'm only talking a small electric turbo to have boost until regular turbo kicks in. Couple seconds, and really only out of the hole.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
All of this sounds really cool but the main problem I see with it is LSPI. You'd be pushing a lot of boost there at the beginning before you spin everything up, so your motor RPM would be low (sub-2000 even probably there at the very beginning) and you'd be in prime range for LSPI, and that's bad business right there. You don't want to get into a lot of boost at really low RPMS like that. That may be another reason they haven't done it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
All of this sounds really cool but the main problem I see with it is LSPI. You'd be pushing a lot of boost there at the beginning before you spin everything up, so your motor RPM would be low (sub-2000 even probably there at the very beginning) and you'd be in prime range for LSPI, and that's bad business right there. You don't want to get into a lot of boost at really low RPMS like that. That may be another reason they haven't done it.
I hear ya, but if the engine is designed to take that abuse from the get go, could be OK.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
I hear ya, but if the engine is designed to take that abuse from the get go, could be OK.
That's true, if it was designed by Ford that way it would be made to handle it! But I think like someone else said, our domestic car makers are done making ICE designs now because electrics are being forced on us. I heard Ford has maybe one more ICE engine in the works and who knows if that'll ever see the light of day.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts