Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone on this forum has upgraded from a Focus ST to a Fusion Sport? I want more space and well the auto with more luxury. Also one other question does anyone know if there have been any changes on the 2018 vs 2017's?

Thanks in advance,:)
Dan

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
No changes from 17 to 18, and there are a few who have jumped from the ST to the Fusion Sport... at least one.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
As mentioned, no changes I could find. Maybe some color add or delete, but I could not find the actual ford guide
that shows the official changes. Been shopping at many dealers, and even drove one 18, but could not visually
tell any difference.

Handling will be big downgrade, but a fact for car that weighs over 4k lbs and uses a relatively small tire (section width).
But ride quality is so much better, it's not even close.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I went from a 2013 ST:

To a 2017 Sport and couldn't be happier:

The ride quality alone was enough to win me over. Now that I have better tires, Livernois tune and a few extra goodies, I don't even miss my ST

Reactions: Bmckee40

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Now that I have better tires, Livernois tune and a few extra goodies, I don't even miss my ST
Yeah. I was amazed at what an upgraded rear bar and redrilled front bar
Front sway bar
did on my 2.0 AWD did for handling (and thats with just stock tires). Night and day.........

Hoping the Sport responds the same.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah. I was amazed at what an upgraded rear bar and redrilled front bar
Front sway bar
did on my 2.0 AWD did for handling (and thats with just stock tires). Night and day.........

Hoping the Sport responds the same.
I have the rear sway bar and the difference is subtle. Impact harshness has increased more than perceptible cornering differences. Although it's more detectable for the seat of the pants in regular than sport mode.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have the rear sway bar and the difference is subtle. Impact harshness has increased more than perceptible cornering differences. Although it's more detectable for the seat of the pants in regular than sport mode.
Yeah, sport rear bar is larger than regular, so I'm told, so
upgraded bar might not be as much of an upgrade.

What I really noticed on my 2.0 was how much it cleaned up
the reverse roll when you do a 1 cone slalom run (super quick left/right).

Sad to hear you did feel it was that much of an upgrade.
I already own the bar, so of course it is going on.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a slightly modified focus ST, traded it in for the fusion sport. I had FMIC and stratified e30 tune. It was a fun and quick little car. But it was so small inside, less comfortable ride and not luxorius at all (ST1) cloth seats.

I miss having a manual sometimes and missed the crazy low end torque. But I'm about to tune the fusion and it checks off most of the boxes: fast, comfortable ride/seats, some luxury, a lot of bang for the buck, smooth, more spacious, awd and still decent hwy mileage.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Another ST to Sport owner here. Main reason for me was the backseat room. Kids are getting taller and they just always seemed to prefer the Wife's crossover to my hatch. I do miss the nimbleness of the ST and the manual trans every once in a while, but the Sport is an excellent trade off for those who want more room but don't want to drive a drab and lifeless sedan. Plus, just like the ST, this car responds well to a tune 😁

·
Registered
33 Posts
I went from a 2014 ST (base with sunroof) to a FFS (fairly loaded) for almost the same reasons you stated in considering your move (space, luxury, auto) -- and it was a great move for me. I really like the "sleeper" aspect of the FFS vs. the FoST too. And, the power and ride quality are awesome. Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I also traded in my Focus ST for a Fusion sport.

At first, I sort of regretted it. The handling and braking in the ST blows the Fusion out of the water and I really dislike automatic transmissions. The Focus was also so much quicker feeling (raw power), especially being a modified car running an e30 tune.

With that said, on the upside, I really appreciated getting into something quiet and smooth riding for a DD and the AWD system is amazing in the colder climates. The interior, sound system, looks, sound deadening, etc of the Fusion are also on a whole different level. It's also nice having something that blends into the crowd opposed to being an advertisement for street racing.

Once I got my tune perfected, I have no more complaints about power (I'm sure this car would smack the **** out of my old Focus at this point) and the shifts are good enough for the time being, so that's not something I really complain much about anymore. I'm looking forward to a big brake upgrade and possibly some suspension work in the future.

If I had one major gripe, it's the lack of aftermarket support at this point. I'm holding out hope that some companies come to our rescue sooner than later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Went from a 2013 mustang to the sport! It was a performance package 3.7 automatic with a drop and virtually all the suspension components replaced by Steeda, Koni and BMR.

The sport won't out handle the modified mustang but in sport mode it's not that bad!
It shines on the acceleration from a dead stop compared to all power going to the rear wheels where with a 93 octane race tune the mustang would catch rubber up to 3rd gear. The best 0-60 I got in the mustang was 4.9 seconds with basically a tune and 3.31 gears. The sport is most likely as fast or faster because it puts the power down with no traction loss.

I'm only at 600 miles so I think with a tune I'd be much quicker in the 1/4 than my mustang because I can put all the power down with no wheel spin

·
Registered
30 Posts
2016 ST with the ST3 package to FFS. I loved the little car but the ride was a little to aggressive for me. Fun car to drive and to show off in. It is more of a head turner than the FFS, but the ride... I not bashing the ST, Its just not for me.

I LOVE the Fusion Sport. Ride alone sold me, and its pretty quick stock.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The OEM wheels are 8" wide, so I think 245 is the theoretical limit. That's what I'm doing on my next set anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I moved from a 14 ST3 and I miss the direct feel and aggressive breaking in performance situations, however most of what made the ST great also made it a relatively uncomfortable daily driver. The Sport is actually faster in most daily driving situation with the exception of mountain roads but the ST's direct feel and lighter chassis was more confidence inspiring. The Sports effortless AWD acceleration, fit and finish, active noise canceling and adaptive suspension make for one **** of a Grand Touring style car where as the ST was more competent in sports car situations.

My $.02

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I wouldn't say it's better in every way... The Focus ST is lighter and more nimble, and gets more than 18MPG city.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts