Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to install a GFB DV+ on a 2019 yet?

I removed the solenoid and it appears to be a revised part - the body of the solenoid is round instead of squarish (as I've seen in pictures others have posted) and the plunger is already spring loaded and from what I can tell it looks riveted together. Instead of the rounded off dome in the center of the plunger I have a metal cap like piece. As best as I can tell the plunger is either metal or some very hard plastic and is very well attached to the rest of the part.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has seen this?

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the plunger and spring don't separate (with relative ease) then yes the design is different from the 17'/18' as you point out. If the plunger/spring don't come out, it would be tough to remove the inner ring needed to fit the DV+.

Two options...
1. Purchase an old style solenoid you can add the DV+ to (~$100, and confirm it is compatible)
2. Get a TurboSmart Kompact which is a whole solenoid replacement.

I'd personally go with option #2, as your investment to get the DV+ working is > $250, and the TurboSmart starts at $205 for the plumb back version, and $250 for the VTA version. Both give very similar performance but the DV+ was a much less expensive option if you had the old solenoid design. You'd also have the OEM solenoid to re-install if needed with no modification.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the confirmation. This unit definitely doesn't pull apart like that. I was actually able to remove the inner ring (it slipped over the plunger without too much trouble) but it didn't really reveal any new information regarding the solenoid construction. I'm fairly certain I would need to cut off the center cap/rivet holding the assembly together if I wanted to disassemble it further.

My primary motivation in installing the DV+ was to rectify the issues with the design; seeing as this revised part seems more robust than the older units I'll keep it stock and see how it performs. I guess I'll see if the vendor will RMA the DV+ as it appears to be incompatible with the 19s,

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the plunger and spring don't separate (with relative ease) then yes the design is different from the 17'/18' as you point out. If the plunger/spring don't come out, it would be tough to remove the inner ring needed to fit the DV+.

Two options...
1. Purchase an old style solenoid you can add the DV+ to (~$100, and confirm it is compatible)
2. Get a TurboSmart Kompact which is a whole solenoid replacement.

I'd personally go with option #2, as your investment to get the DV+ working is > $250, and the TurboSmart starts at $205 for the plumb back version, and $250 for the VTA version. Both give very similar performance but the DV+ was a much less expensive option if you had the old solenoid design. You'd also have the OEM solenoid to re-install if needed with no modification.
What turbo smart part number is #2 above?

We are allowing the return on the GFB as it was never installed for David. We also just want to figure out what is going on, as ford doesn’t even show his solenoid part number is a valid number. It references the old part number used on 17/18 years.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. This unit definitely doesn't pull apart like that. I was actually able to remove the inner ring (it slipped over the plunger without too much trouble) but it didn't really reveal any new information regarding the solenoid construction. I'm fairly certain I would need to cut off the center cap/rivet holding the assembly together if I wanted to disassemble it further.

My primary motivation in installing the DV+ was to rectify the issues with the design; seeing as this revised part seems more robust than the older units I'll keep it stock and see how it performs. I guess I'll see if the vendor will RMA the DV+ as it appears to be incompatible with the 19s,
Would mind posting a couple more pictures.
Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up talking to Aaron at length last night about this and we are both scratching our heads. He indicated his 19 uses the 'standard' solenoid, so obviously not all 19's use this revision. Its unclear why this one is different.

You can see the solenoid is round, and at least when I search the catalogs I cant find any references to this part number.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I ended up talking to Aaron at length last night about this and we are both scratching our heads. He indicated his 19 uses the 'standard' solenoid, so obviously not all 19's use this revision. Its unclear why this one is different.

You can see the solenoid is round, and at least when I search the catalogs I cant find any references to this part number.
Possibly end of life stuff Ford does. I got my 14 Stang GT right at the end and they used an ABS
module that only responded with the first aftermarket scan tool (I got) or FORSCAN, if you tell it, it is a 15 Escape.
Something Ford's IDS would know, through the VIN.

I did later get a high end Autel, that seems to know which ABS I have (many years later, so it was somehow updated I guess).

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Ford changed the bypass valves for 19-up on a lot of their vehicles. Honestly, this is a mod that isn't really mandatory at all.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Possibly end of life stuff Ford does.

Yeah, this is my guess too. I'll be curious to check in 6 months or a year and see if this PN starts showing up on other Ford vehicles. I figure I'll run it for the time being and if it's problematic I'll address it then.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Since this topic is being discussed on the FB page I thought I would chime in. My 2019 also has this same diverter.

Reactions: 19sport

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Wish I had seen this thread sooner....

I actually bought the GFB diverter and attempted to install it without success. Feeling a little stupid I brought it over my performance shop and they confirmed it is not compatible. I called up a friend who has a stock 17 FFS and is not a car enthusiast whatsoever to come by and we ended up just installing it on his car - took a whole 10 minutes if that from start to finish.

I did end up removing the air return tube so it would air to atmosphere, since it's pointless pushing hot air into your system from a performance point of view.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What turbo smart part number is #2 above?

We are allowing the return on the GFB as it was never installed for David. We also just want to figure out what is going on, as ford doesn’t even show his solenoid part number is a valid number. It references the old part number used on 17/18 years.
TS-0223-1066

·
Registered
201 Posts
I was curious about this as well as I found out the '19's were different. I can't wait to pick up my car and see if it's the old or new version.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
My honest to goodness 2 cents: Just keep it stock and don't bother with it. There's nothing really to be gained. If your stock diverter is somehow leaking then it was faulty. They are made in Germany and also used on VW/Audi GTDI applications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts