Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For anyone wondering can you run a GFB DV+ VTA (9458) in a FFS, this is the thread for you!

TLDR:
Does it fit? It fits.
Does it woosh? It wooshes.

So one day I was surfing the web and was wondering if GFB makes a VTA version of their oh so popular DV+ (9358). I was looking around and stumbled upon the 9458. I wanted to confirm that both the 9358 and the 9458 were the same part profile so I sent an email to GFB asking for some information. They responded with exactly what I expected. Both the 93 and 94 share the same bolt pattern, the only difference is that the height of the 94 is about 30mm higher then the 93. As long as there is enough clearance, then the 94 would fit. So I took the chance and ordered a 94. Today I went out to install the 94 to see if it would fit in the FFS engine bay. To my excitement, it does! It sits barely above the engine cover and below the brake fluid reservoir cap. I slowly closed the hood and checked the height and I believe there is a small gab between the top of the electrical connection and the hood liner. I can provide updates in a few weeks to see if it happens to rub against the hood liner but as of right now it seems that there is enough clearance for it not to rub.

I did take a video of it, though I don't think the quality could be much worse in this day and age but its better then nothing. Car is stock, the only mod is the GFB DV+ VTA. I have a Borla system ready to put on it as soon as I get some free time and want to tackle that.

Attached are the photos of the comparison between the 9358 (had on the car before) and the 9458 along with the manual for the 9458 if anyone was interested. I also want to note that it seems like only after I push the car over 3K rpm, it starts to build enough boost to activate the solenoid. I think this means you can cruise around at low speeds without it going off every second which is nice. I haven't driven it yet as I am STILL waiting for tags. Once I start to put more mods on I'll start a build thread. Thanks for checking out my post!

Update 12/02/2020: Finally got tags for my car and was able to drive it, for me it’s the perfect amount of bov sound. Doesn’t kick on till 2500-3K RPM while driving on the highway, you can blip the throttle anytime to make it go off, and when cruising around town it doesn’t go off at all. You can hear it in the cabin and it sounds great, with all the sound deadening in the FFS it is quite pleasant. Sometimes if you get lucky and have enough boost and hit a good downshift you get a nice long air release from anywhere between 3-5 seconds or until you get back on the throttle. All in all I am very happy with the 9458 DV+ VTA, highly recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
The only purpose of this is to make extra noise. There's zero performance to be gained from this. There's a Steeda adapter that does the same thing as well. I didn't want to modify the stock bypass valve which is over $100 if you needed a new one. So I went with a Turbosmart recirculating diverter. I noticed zero change in performance. Someone on the Edge ST forums did numerous tests at WOT between stock and the GTA, and saw zero gains in acceleration/performance.

The woosh sound is fun for a few days. I had a K&N hot air SRI on my 09 Cobalt SS. Everytime I left off the gas, it made a very loud woosh due to the proximity of the turbo with the air intake. It attracted every Lancer Evo and WRX to try and race me on the street. I went back to the stock airbox and got rid of the annoying sound and it gained performance from getting cold air into the intake versus hot engine compartment air.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think the GFB is different from other BOV spacers, and the 9358 is silent/full diverter if not wanting the sound, but it and the 9458 are faster acting and more durable than stock.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
There will be zero performance benefit from going with a GFB anything, other than PFFFSSHH sounds with the vented version spacer/valve/anything. It's not anymore faster acting, durable, or more sealing than stock. Maybe versus an old vacuum diaphragm, but we have electronically controlled diverter valves, similar/same as what later model Audi/VW is using. If the aftermarket GFB and Turbosmart diverters were sealing better then you'd see a benefit in 1/4 mile acceleration. I never felt a single difference going with an aftermarket diverter versus stock. If you are boosting over 21-22 psi you're just pumping heat with the stock turbos or MKZ turbos.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Going for the pfffssshh sounds is about the same as all the people performing the ridiculous chair foot mods on the 3.5 Eco. Lol

·
Registered
2017 Shadow Black Ford Fusion Sport
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This looks cool, anybody else running the 9458, and any codes on stock tune?
It is very pleasant, it only goes off if you are ripping it or if you want to blip the throttle to make it go off, otherwise I don’t hear it at all for 99% of my commute to/from work. I have not received any codes due to the fact that it reused the stock solenoid. The car, electronically at least, knows no difference. They are extremely well designed and I recommend either DV+. These are not like a chair foot/spacer mod which only operate in either a "dump all" or "don't dump" state. That is why they can be annoying/go off all the time. The DV+ is a progressive system, they have some videos about it on their website if you are interested in learning more. They both only vent after a certain psi is achieved, one internally venting(9358) and the other venting to atmosphere(9458).

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I’ve read all about it when it was a really popular mod. Not useful other than to get noise with the vented version. But if your wallet is feeling too heavy or is burning a hole in your pocket go for it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I machined my Steeda VTA BOV to accept the GFB DV+ and went to Fastenal for longer bolts.
I wish I could attach the video of me pulling a 1/4 mile run with my BOV shpftiing between every shift as it dumped boost to try and save the transmission!

Reactions: anotherfusion

·
Registered
452 Posts
I run the the GFB T9358. No noise, but does let the boost off slower, thus less lag if you have to get back on the go button right away. Not much for "Whoosh!" sound.

Reactions: anotherfusion

·
Registered
757 Posts
I run the the GFB T9358. No noise, but does let the boost off slower, thus less lag if you have to get back on the go button right away. Not much for "Whoosh!" sound.
There are timers in the PCM control for that too, if I remember correctly. It's in the Airfow section, under the Turbocharger settings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's not anymore faster acting, durable, or more sealing than stock
Regarding the DV+ T9358 - I was considering this because it's exactly same as stock, with the added benefit of replacing plastic valve parts with metal. It doesn't produce any sounds /not a BOV.

I saw that many folks on this forum have this upgrade, and to me it seems to make sense - you're replacing factory plastic with metal. Is that really not worth it?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Regarding the DV+ T9358 - I was considering this because it's exactly same as stock, with the added benefit of replacing plastic valve parts with metal. It doesn't produce any sounds /not a BOV.

I saw that many folks on this forum have this upgrade, and to me it seems to make sense - you're replacing factory plastic with metal. Is that really not worth it?
No, because there's nothing really wrong with the factory plastic model. If we have vacuum rubber diaphragm diverters, maybe it would be worth it if re-lubing the metal piston wasn't necessary. A lot of the LNF owners that switched from the diaphragm to a Forge metal piston BPV found they had to relube the piston. GFB and Turbosmart both say that there's enough oil being recirculated on the Fords that it wouldn't be necessary.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts