Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went and looked at the 2018 Genesis Sport, and I must admit, I'm impressed. It's a LOT better loking than the kia IMO, and it seems like a very high end sedan in terms of luxury. Obviously it's in an entirely different price bracket than the Sport, but if I were in the market for a 50k+ car, the Genesis would really make it hard. I haven't driven one yet since it was 7am when I went to peek at it, but I intend to drive one soon to quench my curiosity. I wasn't a fan of the blue in the photos I've seen, but in person, ermagerd, it's beautiful. Performance wise, I'd guess it's pretty close to the MKZ despite having less power due to the 8 speed tranny and probably better torque distribution. The Genesis is primarily rwd, has a lateral engine as opposed to our transverse engine, and it has 275x35-19 tires out back! It also has 245s in the front. This car is going to stir things up in the luxo-sport class I bet.

I'll update you guys after I take one for a spin.

Interesting note: The engines are manufactured in Alabama.

Attachments

·
Registered
451 Posts
That's a nice lookin' car!

I had a Genesis Coupe for almost 6 years and loved every second of driving it. Sad I had to get rid of it due to lack of 4 door. Only had 65k miles

It felt luxurious inside. Even though it was never in the same bracket as the Genesis Sedan (Coupe 30k'ish price point fully loaded), I could only imagine how much nice the Sedan is going to be.

Definitely let us know how it is. No way I'm test driving one as I just got my Sport a month ago :p

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love the car, but to me it just wasn't worth the cost. If I could have made myself believe that it was worth the extra 20K over the FuSpo, I would have looked into it more, but I just couldn't justify it.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't really looked at the Genesis sedan before Genesis Motors, but, judging the book by its cover, the Genesis Motors version may well be worth 15k more. Again, further investigation is required.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Please tell me those aren't caliper covers. Its hard to tell from the one pic. Overall, the car looks great, but I need to see the rear to make a final decision..

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please tell me those aren't caliper covers. Its hard to tell from the one pic. Overall, the car looks great, but I need to see the rear to make a final decision..
Nope. Those calipers are beefy. That's another thing that surprised me. At least I think they are...

She's got a nice rear, too. Can't believe I forgot to take a shot of the most important part!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The genesis is Hyundai's luxury line of cars. The Koreans really stepped up their game.
Yeah. Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, to the point that on the surface the G80 appears to be every bit as good as it's German competition. The question is how it stacks up when it comes to what's underneath. What turbos does it use? What kind of quality are the electronics? How will the upholstery hold up? How long will it take to develop annoying squeaks and rattles?

Those are what will end up determining how much they really stepped it up. I'm not saying those things are going to be problems. Just things you have to ask when considering the underdog.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Cant say i have been a fan of previous years, however i do like the front on this. The grill has some aggression about it.

Ironically i think that the rear ends have looked similar to the fusions in the past, so would be interesting how this one compares.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah. Kia and Hyundai have come a long way, to the point that on the surface the G80 appears to be every bit as good as it's German competition. The question is how it stacks up when it comes to what's underneath. What turbos does it use? What kind of quality are the electronics? How will the upholstery hold up? How long will it take to develop annoying squeaks and rattles?

Those are what will end up determining how much they really stepped it up. I'm not saying those things are going to be problems. Just things you have to ask when considering the underdog.
Considering Samsung and LG are both Korean electronics manufacturers, I'd expect nothing short of excellent electronics from the Genesis... The Koreans know their electronics.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Considering Samsung and LG are both Korean electronics manufacturers, I'd expect nothing short of excellent electronics from the Genesis... The Koreans know their electronics.
Americans know their cheeseburgers, but that doesn't mean all cheeseburgers in America are excellent. Lol

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think it's time to realize that Hyundai and Kia are really the new Toyota. Their quality isn't much of an issue anymore

Reactions: G82FS

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
It all depends on the product line since Ive gone through 3 LG phones in less than 2 years so Id say QA is luck luster.

·
Registered
331 Posts
It all depends on the product line since Ive gone through 3 LG phones in less than 2 years so Id say QA is luck luster.
Phones as with cars, and TVs, sound systems, etc... There are always going to be lemons that make it through QA. There are also always poor models that have issues in their design... The hope is, you avoid both. :D

I've had a few LG phones in the past, and never had a single issue with any of them. Samsung also had the unfortunate battery issue on an otherwise great phone. Even companies with the best technology mess up occasionally. Hopefully the G80 Sport is as good as the price tag shows it SHOULD be.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Again, I'm not in any way implying or suggesting that quality is in question for any particular reason. I'm just saying that I would want to investigate much more before dropping 50 Gs on a brand that isn't reputed to be of the highest quality. Not because I doubt it per-se, but because I'm not confident in it. The few Hyundai I have had experience with were older models and were pretty much disposable. I'm pretty sure Hyundai still has those "Buy one get seven free" types of sales. Not very confidence inspiring.

For the record, my made in China ZTE Axon pro has been flawless. Every bit as reliable as my Galaxy S3 that came before it. Country of origin says nothing about quality to me. Every country is capable of building quality. It depends entirely on the company making it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is the Genesis G 80 the Sedan version of the Kia Stinger, or is that another model? One good thing about Hyundai/Kia is 5 yr./60,000 miles Bumper to Bumper Warranty, and 10 yr./100,000 mile Power train warranty.
If you drive a lot, best warranty in the business.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts