Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does the gearing in the Sport kinda suck? First and second pull hard, but then it feels like it just gives up in third.

Anybody else have the same experience? Is it something that just needs time so the car can learn?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've got about 1300 miles on mine, and it seems to have gotten better, but it is still sluggish. I'd be curious to see the HP and torque numbers from a dyno graph to see whats going on.

3rd gear has been my gripe since I drove it home.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I feel this may be exactly why we're not seeing the 0-60 numbers we want. If we could get to 60 in second gear or if the initial thrust in third gear was better, the times would probably be significantly better IMO. Second to third gear transition under hard acceleration seems to be its Achilles heel. I don't find this to be that much of an issue in daily driving though. if I'm cruising around at say 40mph in third gear(using paddle shifters) a touch of the gas gives good thrust.

·
Registered
529 Posts
if I'm cruising around at say 40mph in third gear(using paddle shifters) a touch of the gas gives good thrust.
Second that. It almost feels as if it was programmed to protect trans/AWD system. I also find that WOT isn't as aggressive as I'd like it to be.

I'm hoping an engine and trans tune fixes these problems. I'll even go out on a limb and say that a minor increase in HP and Torque numbers over stock would be fine as long as they can tune up the shifting and throttle response.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just made a post in the Sport vs beemer thread on this issue. Wasnt sub'd to this thread so i didnt know anyone replied. Yay for the auto sub option!

Anyway, I really hope there is something that can be done about this 3rd gear atrocity. It kinda makes me sad. If only it were 0-40 times everyone drooled over...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Wow, that's really unfortunate that it doesn't get to 60 in second gear. For as much as I despise the garbage can Aisin 6-speed in the Five Hundred (its the main reason I'm getting rid of an otherwise good car), its geared pretty much perfectly, with 60mph hitting just before the shift into 3rd, where the car then kind of bogs down a little, as 3rd gear starts the more econo-mode taller gearing (there's no 1:1, but rather there are two overdrive ratios)

I'd venture to guess that if the first two gears were just a shade taller, like in the Five Hundred (they're only just taller than the FuSpo), the car would have a much more respectable 0-60, if it could hit 60 in 2nd, or if 3rd were shorter. I'm kind of surprised at just how short the first two ratios are after looking them up, considering the power and especially the torque the engine is making. Those short gears don't give it a chance to build up some more considerable forward momentum before bogging it down, even more so considering the reported heft of the car. The gearing has physics working against more spirited acceleration (times), and I'm guessing its a rather large factor in the 0-60 gripes.

This is just the assumption I would make based on my couple years of mechanical engineering before architecture. There may very well be more factors in this mix.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wow, that's really unfortunate that it doesn't get to 60 in second gear.
On the other hand, some of the cars that Ford compares itself to (from torque perspective) have more gears and don't hit 60 mph in 2nd gear either, yet they seem to be posting good 0-60 times.

The fewer gears you have, the more they are spaced out, and hence the larger rpm drop from one gear to the next, which may push the engine outside of best power band.

It's more of an academical discussion at this point, but does Ford have another (better) trans in the house that they could potentially put into the FuSpo?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Isn't the 6F55 the beefiest transversely mounted transmission that FoMoCo has to offer? And isn't a 9 Spd auto in the works? I was considering buying out my lease, but if they throw a 9 speed in there in the next 3 years I'd be pissed.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing i find odd is that the difference between 3-4 is drastically smaller than 2-3. 1-2 shift drops to 4800, 2-3 drops to 4500, then 3-4 barely drops below 5k. 3rd gear is way screwed considering it needs 3rd to hit 60, and 3rd is the main passing gear. Why u do dis, ferd? Why?! :'(

·
Registered
142 Posts
Isn't the 6F55 the beefiest transversely mounted transmission that FoMoCo has to offer? And isn't a 9 Spd auto in the works? I was considering buying out my lease, but if they throw a 9 speed in there in the next 3 years I'd be pissed.
9 speed is kinda overkill but would do wonders for fuel economy. As it is, the cars revs real high even in normal, light driving. If you could keep the revs below, say, 3500 at all times, I think we'd see a fairly significant jump in MPG. That could also allow them to cruise below 2000, which would be crazy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts