Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go, just ordered all of this...

Painted emblems (Oxford white with matte black lettering and rings)
Grey center cap inserts
aFe pro dry S air filter
Steeda strut tower brace
Steeda hood strut kit
Steeda rear sway bar
Unleashed tune with NGauge tuner
Oh, and a foldable multi compartment storage trunk organizer and cooler set. Because you have to get groceries too... :)

Looking for a reasonable price on wrapping the chrome and window tint in the North County area of San Diego if anyone knows a good place.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nice, looking forward to seeing the painted emblems

Reactions: Rice

·
Registered
481 Posts
nice! let us know how you like all the mods once installed

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As mentioned in the other thread...

aFe installed. Really easy, just popped the clips on the driver side and pulled it up until i could swap the filters. Didn't need to disconnect anything or even take the cover off completely. Good news, no random paper/sticker in my airbox. Funny thing though, I popped off the plastic cover over the grill to check how easy it was going to be to get at the front emblem. Right in front of the, very small, air intake there was a sticker that was just barely hanging on. I took it off because eventually it was going to get sucked in.

While I was under there I also did the bov mod. This is actually really easy to do, loosen the hose clamp on each end and pull off the hose. BUT, the clamp on one side was twisted so it was almost under the hose so I could barely get a pair of pliers on it to move it around. Word of advice in case you do not know, if you squeeze the clamp far enough it will "lock" into the open position. Ended up taking over an hour to get it off, leaning over the car the whole time killed my back and legs. They still hurt... lol

Removed the front license plate bracket to uncover the intercooler and because it is ugly. Unfortunately it looks like this right now...

I ordered some plugs from www.bumperplugs.com to take care of the holes but those spots above them are from the dealer torquing down the frame screws too far. Suggestions on fixing those? Car looks much better without that thing despite the holes...

We have a gate transponder to get into the complex we live in. It came with a hanger that you are supposed to put on the rear view mirror but it doesn't fit very well up there and swings back and forth so I used some double sided tape and put it on the dash right up against the bottom of the windshield. It's out of the way and still works so win win.

Swapped the center caps. Why they went with blue I don't get, the cost was the same and these look so much better...

Taking these off without damaging the wheel seemed impossible. I tried to use a very thin flat head but the slightest pressure started marking the wheel. I ended up wrapping a piece of electrical tape over the end of the screwdriver and that saved the wheel. I used a new piece for each wheel because the pressure pushed through the tape for each cap.

Debadged the trunk, just too much for me. It's dirty but with rain coming I didn't wash it.

Much cleaner and a bit more stealth. After taking off the ECOboost badge and the red SPORT letters I was left with just the adhesive and thought this would look nice if done in matte black letters. On white at least, might explore that in the future.

When I removed the badges on my G8 it took heat and fishing line followed with a healthy amount of goo gone to get them off and the area cleaned up. With that in mind I started off with heat on the FS badges, this ended up being a mistake. Even though it made getting the badges off with the fishing line easy, the adhesive became extremely sticky and hard to remove. It took a lot of rubbing to get it off. For the other side I didn't use any heat. The fishing line went right through to get the letters off and then the adhesive peeled off like a sticker. There wasn't even any residue but I used a bit of goo gone just in case. Left me with this (little blurry)...

Last bit for the weekend was getting the OBDlink MX and Forscan setup. Really easy but my laptop battery died before I could get any changes made. Going to try again at lunch today. With a fully charged battery... :|

Should be able to do the rest next weekend except for maybe the rear sway bar, might wait for a lift to do that one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where are the pictures already?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice man! Looking good!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Looking real good.
So are the 2 marks above the screw holes indentations. I would think you could fill them in with touch up paint and then clear. If you want an almost blemish free look, it will involve filling them with paint, sanding with 1500 then 2000 grit paper to get it level with the surface. Next you will apply clear, then sand it down with 2000 and finally buff the area.
IF you try this, you can't be aggressive with the clear or you'll sand through it. Also, work with smallest amount a sandpaper to limit the area your sanding. I use a pencil with an eraser on the end and attach the paper to the eraser. I use an old paper punch to get perfect round pieces of sandpaper for the eraser.
Lastly, you could take it to a shop that specializes in rock chips and I bet they'd charge 100 buck or so to do it.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking real good.
So are the 2 marks above the screw holes indentations. I would think you could fill them in with touch up paint and then clear. If you want an almost blemish free look, it will involve filling them with paint, sanding with 1500 then 2000 grit paper to get it level with the surface. Next you will apply clear, then sand it down with 2000 and finally buff the area.
IF you try this, you can't be aggressive with the clear or you'll sand through it. Also, work with smallest amount a sandpaper to limit the area your sanding. I use a pencil with an eraser on the end and attach the paper to the eraser. I use an old paper punch to get perfect round pieces of sandpaper for the eraser.
Lastly, you could take it to a shop that specializes in rock chips and I bet they'd charge 100 buck or so to do it.
Yea I am going to go with the shop option. They are actual holes from the tip of the screws used to hold the plate frame onto the plate bracket. I bet they would even be able to fill the big holes so I can ditch the bumper plugs. Already ordered those though so it would have to be cost effective to do it.

These came in yesterday...

Can't wait to get them on, hopefully tomorrow. Will post pics when done!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Made the following changes using Forscan...

Disabled horn honk on exit with the key and engine running
Changed splash screen on vehicle/entry startup to the ST Performance screen
Fogs stay on with high beams

A few more to go but I wanted to try these basic changes first to be sure I didn't mess anything up.

Loaded Unleashed 91 tune

Wow, wow, wow is all I can say. What a difference! Throttle response and acceleration is dramatically improved and the transmission no longer feels "lost".

Anyone running the Unleashed tune with the VTA BOV mod notice that there is a lot more blow off activity? Before the tune was loaded it would only blow off after letting up from hard acceleration, now it will do it on shifts as well. I assume this is because boost was increased with the tune? But I admittedly know very little about how that black magic voodoo works...

·
Registered
624 Posts
I would love to disable that dang horn honk. Might be worth the trouble just for that.
I was thinking the exact same thing.
It's actually a much bigger issue on my wife's Explorer. It's horn is much louder, heart attack inducing even. I've found that at least on my Sport I can usually, carefully get out of the car and use the keyfob to lock the car and then it won't honk when I walk away. It's not fool proof, and if you forget well.....

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Finally got the painted emblems installed this weekend. What a pain in the a$$ to install but I think they look great! Scratched the rear a little getting the original emblem out so I'll need to have that fixed when I take it in for the license plate bracket holes to be fixed.

Speaking of, got the bumper plugs installed and have to say that it was a waste of $30 ... :(

I also did the strut tower brace, no pictures because its a black bar under the hood...

·
Registered
346 Posts
When my cars is delivered April 9th it will not have bumper holes drilled... bumper plugs work but they are not ideal...

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What's the matter with the bumper plugs? I've had them on a few cars and they always worked out fine. I would have done them again but I like my plates.

You should be able to just touch-up those couple nicks. I wouldn't let a dealer get near those emblems with buffer.
They just don't sit flush enough. I was hoping they would kind of look like sensors and fit in but they look like what they are.

When my cars is delivered April 9th it will not have bumper holes drilled... bumper plugs work but they are not ideal...
If I had ordered mine then there would have been no holes but I got lucky and found it almost exactly how I wanted it equipped at a dealer who was willing to sell at a great price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same dilemma when deciding if I should purchase from bumperplugs.com. For the price after shipping (~37 bucks) I could buy many nylon plugs and the matching touch up paint. I decided not to buy.

Instead I went to Ace and they let me try to fit nylon plugs until I came upon a size I was satisfied with and bought 4 of them. I still haven't even bought touch up paint as the black nylon plugs are so small I can hardly notice them on the blue color.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
In the shop now getting 20% ceramic tint all around... Can not wait to not feel like I am in a fishbowl anymore!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Doing my tint on the 23rd, sadly provincial regulations restrict tint levels on passenger cars so much. Some places only allow 30% reduction on the side windows. I have to account for postings in the Military into less favorable locations wrt tint laws.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts