Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Fusion Sport, but this is tough to watch. The SHO's 40 HP advantage should not make this much difference, especially considering it weighs 361 pounds more than the Sport, and has a 30lb/ft less torque. Obviously there are plenty of variables at play here, but that SHO is pulling hard right where the Sport falls off a cliff. I am still at a loss as to how/ why Ford left so much performance on the table with the FS. I suppose maybe they were worried that nobody would buy the SHO if it wasn't faster than the FS, but that just doesn't make much sense to me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think we are all scratching our heads on what happened with the FuSpo factory tune... It is someone mind boggling.

·
Registered
100 Posts
A SHO owner replied in the comments he thinks it's a tuned SHO vs a stock FS. He says his SHO did not shift that fast until he had it tuned.

"are you sure the Taurus here is stock? the shifts sure look fast for stock to me. mine were a lot slower and tended to hang pre tune."

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw that, but the posted 0-60 time for the SHO matches what many instrumented tests have shown. Usually this guy tests cars off the lot he works at, but who knows. I am still hoping Ford gives us an ECU flash Christmas present. I did some poking around, and it's not unprecedented. Still, you guys with tunes are really tempting me despite the fact that my Sport is a lease. ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
That video of the Sport was one a salesperson did when the dealer first got the car. I would not give it much credibility. I want to see instrumented numbers with fuel and environment conditions.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine is a lease... I threw all caution to the wind... My rebuttal will be... FoMoCo royally screwed up the tune, so we fixed it.
I actually filled out an official report with Ford's Customer Relationship center regarding the performance issue, just for the heck of it. I got the expected form letter type response which basically told me to make an appointment with my dealer to have them diagnose the problem. Maybe I can slip my service technician a fiver and have him write "We discovered the vehicle has a sh*tty tune." on the service report, so Ford can fix the issue with a free Livernois tune.

·
Registered
94 Posts
IMO as nice as the SHO is, I rather get an SRT Charger. Sport is as far as I would go with the Fusion. Taurus... i'm not sure, but there's no denying the SRT is just about near the top in its segment.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That video of the Sport was one a salesperson did when the dealer first got the car. I would not give it much credibility. I want to see instrumented numbers with fuel and environment conditions.
I was wondering if it was the same video he did before; I didn't bother to go back and compare the two. A properly broken in car would likely do better, but I've got 2000mi on mine and that falloff going into 3rd gear is still pretty much as it is in the video.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think the mileage on that FS is about the same as his previous video. The SHO has much more mileage, so not new, and may have been tuned. I pulled out a stop watch and compared and kept getting .4-.6 sec more than he claimed. I never believe much from this guy.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was wondering if it was the same video he did before; I didn't bother to go back and compare the two. A properly broken in car would likely do better, but I've got 2000mi on mine and that falloff going into 3rd gear is still pretty much as it is in the video.
This speaks to both of the issues at play here --

One: the factory tune isn't great. Perhaps Ford will see poor sales numbers, and decide to ECU flash before instrumented tests of the car come out on carmag sites. I really doubt they're worried about cannibalizing against the Taurus SHO. The Lincoln MKZ would be the more interesting comaprison.

Two: a tune will go a long way on the FuSpo, but breaking in the car might help, too. I can't imagine that we're only going to see 5.6 0-60 times from stock.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just confirmed that this is the same Fusion Sport video as this guy posted before, so this is just a comparison of two previous videos. I thought it was a new test when I posted. I should have known!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Honestly, I dont understand all the complaining of the stock tune. The car is a very capable 13.6 to 13.7 second quarter mile car from the factory, how are you people not impressed with that? Its ****ing mid size family sedan. Did you want a low 13 second car? Should Ford have built a family sedan fusion that trounces over the base model mustang and keeps pace with the GT? A stock Subari STI runs the quarter mile in [email protected] and that is a purpose built rally/race car. I think you guys need to temper your expectations of what a mid size family sedan should do. Most Taurus SHOs are running low 14s barely touching the 13s stock.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Honestly, I dont understand all the complaining of the stock tune. The car is a very capable 13.6 to 13.7 second quarter mile car from the factory, how are you people not impressed with that? Its ****ing mid size family sedan. Did you want a low 13 second car? Should Ford have built a family sedan fusion that trounces over the base model mustang and keeps pace with the GT? A stock Subari STI runs the quarter mile in [email protected] and that is a purpose built rally/race car. I think you guys need to temper your expectations of what a mid size family sedan should do. Most Taurus SHOs are running low 14s barely touching the 13s stock.
I agree completely. I am not buying my fusion to be a monster. I am buying it for an every day driver. And an every day driver that can run mid 13 second quarter mile is awesome for me. I have plans for other cars in my future that will be the monsters that can only be driven on sunny nice days, but the fusion is my every day car.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I agree, however, the consensus is the car has a factory tune that does not match and utilize the published performance numbers. And there very well could be buyers out there that want a low 13 second sedan, produced by one of the big 3 American auto makers, there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I admit to a certain amount of inconsistency in my opinion of the Fusion Sport's performance. On the one hand, I completely agree with you. The stock performance is quite strong all things considered, and when you combine this with all of the car's other great attributes, you end up with a very impressive overall package for the price. I never expected this thing to run with Mustang GT's in its stock tune, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it every day. On the other hand, there is something mildly frustrating about knowing there is so much untapped potential in the vehicle. For example, imagine if Ford had used the 5.0 V8 from the Mustang in the Fusion Sport, and achieved the exact same performance we're getting now. Your points above would still be objectively true, but I doubt you'd be truly happy with the car given the way it *should* be performing. It just seems like Ford left more than the usual amount of performance on the table with this stock tune, and the reasons why are still unclear.

All that said, I would still recommend the Fusion Sport and don't regret buying one at all. I don't see anything else for the price that can touch it as a total package.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The fact that it's called a "Sport" and not an ST or RS or GT or SHO speaks to the priorities of this car. It is a compromise among performance, power train reliability, and fuel economy. Which is exactly what their target customers (including me) are looking for. They may have dialed it back a bit as insurance against early power train failures, and perhaps will address that in the future with a software update. Or not.

Many of you are willing to sacrifice other attributes for a quicker quarter mile. That's fine, and Ford may decide that there are enough of you out there to introduce a more performance-focused version in the future -- perhaps when the SHO fades into history. That's simply not what this car was intended to be. As far as I'm concerned, it accomplishes its intended mission very well.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The fact that it's called a "Sport" and not an ST or RS or GT or SHO speaks to the priorities of this car. It is a compromise among performance, power train reliability, and fuel economy. Which is exactly what their target customers (including me) are looking for. They may have dialed it back a bit as insurance against early power train failures, and perhaps will address that in the future with a software update. Or not.

Many of you are willing to sacrifice other attributes for a quicker quarter mile. That's fine, and Ford may decide that there are enough of you out there to introduce a more performance-focused version in the future -- perhaps when the SHO fades into history. That's simply not what this car was intended to be. As far as I'm concerned, it accomplishes its intended mission very well.
My problem is: why advertise 325 hp/380 tq if there's no way you can ever USE said stats? The only place that one seems to get the full power is tied to a dyno or maybe climbing a mountain at 100 mph. For the purposes of accelerating, it's a much lower number. So, you get bragging rights for the numbers, but you can't back them up? That's frustrating for me. Audi's S4 or even the S3, OTOH, appear to be sandbagging-the performance is actually much better than the numbers would lead you to expect. That's a philosophy that makes sense to me!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As far as I'm concerned, it accomplishes its intended mission very well.
I think the Fusion Sport accomplishes a certain mission very well, and it's the mission that I was also the target audience for. The thing is, we don't really know what Ford's mission for this car is. Their early marketing certainly leads one to believe that they were expecting better acceleration performance, and the complete lack of recent communication and instrumented testing doesn't exactly paint a picture of confidence in a car that they feel is fulfilling its intended mission. That may be just lousy marketing, but I expect there is more going on behind the scenes with this car.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I 100% agree with the sentiments above. This is not Ford's answer to German performance sedans. It is the answer to the V6 Camry, accord, etc. There was a demand from customers for a more powerful (V6) fusion, because the 2.0 just doesn't match the V6 competition, as much as they might have tried to make it. I for one decreed multiple times over that I would not buy a fusion, since they were 4 pot only. And then, to my (and customers like me) relief, Ford gives us a new sport, who's predecesor was made to accomplish the same goal, (substitute the 3.0 'tec from that generation for the 2.0 in the 13+). Done deal. The car is what it is, and it fits just where Ford intended. Could they have done more with the pwr/trq this car makes. Absolutely, but that wasn't the goal in the first place. Be happy with how much car you got, for the money you paid.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts