Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got a chance to drive the MKZ AWD with 3.0 today, and it's quite a bit more sprightly than the FS in stock trim. When you get on it, it just GOES. I'm not happy with the transmission, though. Using the sport paddles the shift from 1-2 gets hung up for about a second. And if you've used the paddles, then the next time you do the 1-2 run, hard it'll do the same thing. Doesn't matter if you short shift with the paddles... even if you shift at 5k, it'll hold on to 7k and then hang.

The other weird things are that it has the same nasty hole between 2-3 that the Fusion Sport does. And it won't shift down from 4-3 above 60 mph even though it'll run out to 80 mph in 3rd? I think all this thing needs to be a monster is a little transmission tweak. No apparent torque management here!

·
Registered
104 Posts
I agree. I got to ride shotgun in one a few days after I drove a FuSpo and it felt significantly faster. Like you said- it just went! We got to try that torque vectoring out too- slid the back end out while accelerating onto a banked road (annoyingly when I test drove the FuSpo the salesman insisted that it had torque vectoring- I didn't argue the point any further than disagreeing with him once - not worth it) Fun car but my friend driving complained about the tranny too. I'd consider one if they didn't cost 50 grand.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
156 Posts
I love the MKZ it's a sweet Lincoln no doubt. But yes I agree it's just too expensive. I'll have just as much fun building my sport and leave some cash in my pocket.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yea...I was considering the AWD MKZ but it was SO outrageously expensive. FuSpo gets my loins tingling at a fraction.

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
14 Posts
I considered the MKZ before I ordered my Fusion Sport. Despite what the auto mags might say in terms of the MKZ, there are few luxury cars of that size that gives you that much amenities and performance (3.0) at that price, especially the standard features.

However, despite their similar genetics both cars have very different appeals. I chose the Sport bcs I was looking for a Sporty sedan that offered a combination of performance, technology and price. I leased my Sport but a 3.0 MKZ with the tech I wanted was about $70 more per month and included other tech packages and a luxury oriented look I was not interested in. For example, the Sport's suspension and handling is all I want, I don't need a comfort mode or care about luxury stitching etc on the interior.

The 3.0 MKZ has more hp than the Sport but I didn't feel a big difference and the MKZ had a noticeable torque steer under hard acceleration that I don't feel in my Sport. However I did not drive the MKZ with the torque vectoring driver's pkg which would have cost even more. In addition, even though the Sport is very quiet on the road, to me it had a nicer exhaust growl during acceleration than the MKZ. Again both cars appeal to different tastes.

Bottom line. The Sport lives up to its name if you want 'sport' and the Lincoln lives up to its name if you want luxury and also to look like luxury when you pull up at a social/professional event or if looking classy is important to you. Opt for the 3.0, and you can add a little kick to the luxury every now and then.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I wanted to like the new MKZ but I still think it just doesn't justify the cost. It is impressively well equipped, but in that price range there are a lot of other very strong choices. One of my main gripes is the styling; I wish they had done more to incorporate the new Lincoln grille into the overall design rather than just grafting onto the existing design. It still looks like two separate cars to me. I'm sure this will be reworked in the next revision, but I often have this problem with FoMoCo refreshed vehicles. I think it's in the company bylaws that they cannot touch anything but the front and rear clip on a mid cycle refresh, which means the results often look like two different ideas stapled together. The middle section of the Ford Expedition looks like it has been exactly the same since the 90's.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I wanted to like the new MKZ but I still think it just doesn't justify the cost. It is impressively well equipped, but in that price range there are a lot of other very strong choices. One of my main gripes is the styling; I wish they had done more to incorporate the new Lincoln grille into the overall design rather than just grafting onto the existing design. It still looks like two separate cars to me. I'm sure this will be reworked in the next revision, but I often have this problem with FoMoCo refreshed vehicles. I think it's in the company bylaws that they cannot touch anything but the front and rear clip on a mid cycle refresh, which means the results often look like two different ideas stapled together. The middle section of the Ford Expedition looks like it has been exactly the same since the 90's.
I agree but the problem is it's incredibly expensive to change sheet metal and stamping dies, which is why they have "refreshes" and remodels.

Don't worry about the expedition, wait for the 2018 MY expedition, I promise it will blow you away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree but the problem is it's incredibly expensive to change sheet metal and stamping dies, which is why they have "refreshes" and remodels.

Don't worry about the expedition, wait for the 2018 MY expedition, I promise it will blow you away.
I definitely realize the costs involved and don't expect mid cycle refreshes to be complete redesigns. I just think that sometimes the updates could be more compatible with the previous design. A lot of people complained that the 2107 Fusion refresh didn't change much design wise, but I was happy that they left what I think is a very successful design intact.

I hear you on the Expedition; I've seen spy photos as well as the Lincoln Navigator concept. It's good to see that vehicle getting more of a ground up redo than another freshening.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree. I got to ride shotgun in one a few days after I drove a FuSpo and it felt significantly faster. Like you said- it just went! We got to try that torque vectoring out too- slid the back end out while accelerating onto a banked road (annoyingly when I test drove the FuSpo the salesman insisted that it had torque vectoring- I didn't argue the point any further than disagreeing with him once - not worth it) Fun car but my friend driving complained about the tranny too. I'd consider one if they didn't cost 50 grand.
Your Fusion salesman was probably referring to brake based torque vectoring. Not the same, I know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I love my MKZ. It gets with the program in sport mode. I have the drivers package and the torque vectoring is definitely noticeable. When you are powering around a corner you can feel it trying to turn the car. You will get some torque steer and even a little four wheel drift when you hammer it from a stop. Overall, I'm very impressed with the car. The only thing it needs is better brakes. It's got a lot of go, just not enough whoa.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The expedition spy photos that I have seen cannot be much further from what the next gen actually looks like. The F-150 front end is a far cry from what the 2018 expedition will be.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The expedition spy photos that I have seen cannot be much further from what the next gen actually looks like. The F-150 front end is a far cry from what the 2018 expedition will be.
I am happy to hear this and look forward to the unveiling. The Expedition deserves a fresh approach. Let's hope they do something similar with the Explorer after that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
For my opinion, the new MKZ looks so much better than the old one (and that drivetrain) that if I had the money I'd probably definitely get one. That old front end looked like a silly salvador daly mustache. It's a little slab sided but that's the style for big american sedans, right?

·
Registered
215 Posts
For my opinion, the new MKZ looks so much better than the old one (and that drivetrain) that if I had the money I'd probably definitely get one. That old front end looked like a silly salvador daly mustache. It's a little slab sided but that's the style for big american sedans, right?
That old grille just never seemed to come together even after several iterations. Taken by itself I prefer the new grille, although I would have preferred something more original instead of the Jaguaresque design. I still think overall the MKZ looks like two or three different design ideas grafted onto the same car.

All that said, the 3.0 is a great engine and they cram a ton of features into these things for the price. With the right incentives I would consider one, but I think the next revision will probably show this car really come together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think Lincoln should have an engine choice for the AWD models between the 240hp 2.0 and the 400hp 3.0 . (The FWD 3.0 is 350hp.) The normally aspirated 3.7 or preferably the ecoboost 2.7 from the Fusion Sport would be a good fit and and cheaper upgrade to the 3.0.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Seems like a throwback to the hot-rod Lincoln days. Maybe someone will do an engine swap of a 3.0 for the 2.7! Maybe Ford will do it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Seems like a throwback to the hot-rod Lincoln days. Maybe someone will do an engine swap of a 3.0 for the 2.7! Maybe Ford will do it.
I don't think we'll see Ford doing that any time soon. They finally seem to be embracing the fact that the Lincoln brand needs to be significantly differentiated from Ford, and made a big deal about the 3.0 being a Lincoln exclusive engine when it was announced. I suppose Ford could start using it after a while, but there would have to be something exclusive in the Lincoln arsenal to replace it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the dealer looking up info for me, it appears that the 3.0 makes 400/400 on 87 octane? At least he can't find any mention of the engine needing premium?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Had the dealer looking up info for me, it appears that the 3.0 makes 400/400 on 87 octane? At least he can't find any mention of the engine needing premium?
it doesn't "NEED" premium, but thats the only way you will get the 400 number.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts