Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mixed feelings. Just call it a Fusion Sport coup. Or a Fusion GT. I don't see enough changes to call it a Thunderbird.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
Just a fantasy.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a fantasy.
Oh yes. Very much so. I think this was just click bait, but still... When I saw Thunderbird and was actually a Fusion Sport front end, I had to look.
But now I know what a Fusion Sport coupe would look like. 👍

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sad part is, I bet it would sell pretty good, if it handled / road good, and have good power. Like the MKZ 3.0 in 400 trim with AWD, and a six speed shifty gear box. :)

Reactions: BlueDust

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately it is a non-starter. But if Ford did bring back the platform, and went more upscale, a name change would make sense.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just taking a two-door version of a four-door sedan and slapping a Thunderbird emblem on it doesn’t work for me. Sorry, I’m one of those purists who despises “emblem-eered” models. Others who don’t mind are free to buy what they like, it’s none of my business, but they wouldn’t get my cash for anything less than a uniquely designed personal luxury coupe. And that’s never going to happen in todays Ford.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

1966 Thunderbird hardtop. 390 ci. 4 bbl.
17,000 original miles, unrestored.

·
Registered
927 Posts
…and I want to get a letter like this from the V.P. & General Manager of Ford Motor Company!
Font Paper Paper product Document Letter

·
Registered
927 Posts
…and I want my dealer to give me a personalized dash plaque like this!
Is that too much to ask? Ha!
Handwriting Font Line Rectangle Material property

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
Just taking a two-door version of a four-door sedan and slapping a Thunderbird emblem on it doesn’t work for me. Sorry, I’m one of those purists who despises “emblem-eered” models. Others who don’t mind are free to buy what they like, it’s none of my business, but they wouldn’t get my cash for anything less than a uniquely designed personal luxury coupe. And that’s never going to happen in todays Ford. View attachment 29151
Nice ! Is that yours ?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
It actually belongs to my wife. I’m just its caretaker and mechanic. We bought it in 1994 from the original owners estate.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
927 Posts
Nice looking T-Bird! Here is one that looked like mine (except mine was a lot more beat up).

1975, 460 big block, threw a 4-barrel Holley in myself with weak springs, installed it out on the street in front of our house.

Then I tore the drive shaft out of it (failed U-joint) coming off a stop light with too much enthusiasm. :ROFLMAO:
What you had was the last of the “big” ‘Birds. In ‘76 they “downsized” them (in ‘70s perspective). Truly land yachts! My wife owned a ‘77 Town Landau that was her dads company car until he gave it to her in ‘82. We kept that car until ‘89 when we had our first kid.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Window Steering part
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
281 Posts
It actually belongs to my wife. I’m just its caretaker and mechanic. We bought it in 1994 from the original owners estate.
A tough job , I know , but I can see your doing a great job ! We need to start a "My Old Cars" thread !

·
Registered
927 Posts
This is my 1991 Thunderbird Super Coupe and her 1966 Thunderbird Town Hardtop. Bear in mind her car is only 52” tall to the roof! Stock suspension and tires on both.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle
I think it was pedestrian safety and other crash mandates that brought the cowl heights of cars so high. But any FWD platform seems to have a very high cowl height, despite a lot of excellent work by engineers and designers that really hide it well. If there was ever another T-bird in the future, I’d pray that it was a purely RWD platform (perhaps a stretched Mustang chassis) that could do justice to the design ethos.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
927 Posts
All three of our T-birds are/were truly personal luxury coupes. Especially the ‘78 (I typed ‘77 in error above). You could get on the highway and just cruise along for hours! Smooth, quiet, roomy, comfortable, and strong enough to pass at will. Even the Super Coupe wasn’t really a “performance” car first; it was a luxury car with excellent power & handling.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
From the article @Engineer linked…
“If we had to guess, we'd say the new Thunderbird will either be an all-electric sports car or a larger SUV to sit above the Mach-E in Ford's lineup.”
From the guy who was “meh, whatever” about the Mustang Mach E name when he reads the above quote… “Oh, HELL NO!!!”
Haha! Kind of surprised in myself for how I reacted to that!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Just taking a two-door version of a four-door sedan and slapping a Thunderbird emblem on it doesn’t work for me. Sorry, I’m one of those purists who despises “emblem-eered” models. Others who don’t mind are free to buy what they like, it’s none of my business, but they wouldn’t get my cash for anything less than a uniquely designed personal luxury coupe. And that’s never going to happen in todays Ford. View attachment 29151
VERY nice!!!

My 59, w/optional 430 MEL

·
Registered
927 Posts
@OX1 - Fantastic car!!! We considered selling/trading our ‘66 for a ‘58-‘60 model a couple times because those are my wife’s favorite body style. What stopped us the two times we had a chance was the 352 engine. Finding a factory 430 is extremely hard. You’ve got a real gem there!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts