Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just my 2 cents, but the Explorer ST doesn't have adjustable suspension and it is fine. The ride's actually very good and the handling is amazing for a 4800 lb SUV. The 10 speed shifts so much faster than our 6-speeds like night/day difference... all assuming the Explorer ST you get is built properly. The massaging seats are amazing as well.
As the guy in the FFS who always gets stuck behind someone in a huge SUV who has to slow down to like 10MPH to take a corner, your words give me some hope that not all of those SUVs are terrible. Maybe. I don't know, I just don't know that I'd ever want one, but you never know I guess. Certainly the way people drive them, they act like they'll roll over at the drop of a hat. So I wait for them to turn then punch it and go around them immediately.

·
Registered
284 Posts
How did you confirm that?
Long story short, gassed it firmly on a 180 degree sweeping entry ramp. Got a little courageous and things started exceeding skill levels. As I was washing out, rather than lifting off, accelerated more. AWD kicked in, fronts offloaded and had to put in a bit more wheel. At that point the brake came on front inside for a fraction of a second, twice. Felt like ABS without feeling it in the pedal. Heart in throat at that point as wheel pulled more into the turn. At that point the car turned in and the bend started straightening out.
Only done it once. Not doing it again. Figure I worked out the limit. Best to wash off speed before the turn and drive out rather than going in hot and running out of ability.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Long story short, gassed it firmly on a 180 degree sweeping entry ramp. Got a little courageous and things started exceeding skill levels. As I was washing out, rather than lifting off, accelerated more. AWD kicked in, fronts offloaded and had to put in a bit more wheel. At that point the brake came on front inside for a fraction of a second, twice. Felt like ABS without feeling it in the pedal. Heart in throat at that point as wheel pulled more into the turn. At that point the car turned in and the bend started straightening out.
Only done it once. Not doing it again. Figure I worked out the limit. Best to wash off speed before the turn and drive out rather than going in hot and running out of ability.
Well, until it is datalogged with a high end scanner that actually proves it, I'm remaining not convinced.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Well, until it is datalogged with a high end scanner that actually proves it, I'm remaining not convinced.
Fair enough. Was thinking about this some more. What I think I may have experienced is the ESC. If its different to "torque vectoring", then my mistake. Researched it a bit more and found that, according to Ford, brakes can be applied if car senses a potential spin out based on steering angle and body yaw. This certainly matches what I experienced.

Found a clip which link is below.
Its not a log but anecdotal information that suggests its possible.

Reactions: lyee

·
Registered
100 Posts
Honestly, you're half right. A lot of companies use brakes to create an "electronic LSD" of sorts. It's all marketing. In reality those are hardly different from just stability control kicking in.

This goes back to what I was saying before - our AWD system isn't great. There are many much, much better systems out there that use better differentials, transfer power much more effectively, etc. And yet... the AWD in my Sport deals with 99.99% of situations perfectly fine, I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quite frankly, I have zero interest in the Explorer. I don't know why it's always brought up on this board.
Perhaps subconsciously hoping that Ford will have something in the 400hp range to replace the Fusion Sport since they’re “out” of the car-building business. I’m personally looking for a local low-mileage FuSport wreck to scavenge the drivetrain from, because I’m not giving up my Fusion until it rots in half.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
246 Posts
Ford did offer something like that - the MKZ.
Well I guess, but they did it concurrently with the FuSport not as a progressive development. And now it too is extinct. My thought was that many folks are looking down the road for their replacement vehicle and are praying that Ford can/will build an CUV or SUV that will be nearly as satisfying as the FuSport.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well I guess, but they did it concurrently with the FuSport not as a progressive development. And now it too is extinct. My thought was that many folks are looking down the road for their replacement vehicle and are praying that Ford can/will build an CUV or SUV that will be nearly as satisfying as the FuSport.
I'm not. I'm wanting a luxury sport sedan that will be more satisfying than the FFS. That's what I want, by the time I ever replace this car. If I can't have that, I guess I can fall back to buying a luxury sport coupe maybe (assuming that's an option still then). But I'm not terribly interested in an SUV, personally. Although it does sound like the Explorer ST is a fun ride, from the description @metroplex gave of his.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Unfortunately I get it - I have no idea what I'd replace my Sport with right now, this side of an E63 or Panamera Turbo. Really hope this car lasts me a long time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I’ve already informed my wife that I’m building my next car. I hope to be retired by the time my FuSport is a basket case, and I’ll be able to chose when and where I drive. I’m going to start with a Crown Vic/Mercury Marquis and turn it into a Shawnski. If Ford won’t build me a luxury sport sedan then I’ll do it myself, dammit!

Reactions: Fozzy

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It would have to be a full electric to get a low enough center of gravity to handle as well as my sport does now. There is nothing you can do to an explorer that will make it come even
close to the transient maneuvers my sport can now pull off (in sport mode and the stiffer strut setting really helps a lot, after you control body roll with big bars). It's night and day vs stock.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All this handling talk makes me miss my Miata. Pretty much nothing could keep up with it on tight backroads... until the next uphill :LOL:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts