Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't seen too many people discuss the Fusion Sport pothole detection tech. How is everyone finding it ? Compared to prior vehicles without it, do you feel that much of a noticeable difference ??

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't think it works like the magic they advertize, but I do think it works respectably. I tested it out the day I got it over a sunken sewer access plate on the street over from mine. Cars, including mine, bang over it all the time, since it doesn't look like much until you're on it. This car pretty clearly from a suspension and auditory perspective didn't crash down into it like usual.

HOWEVER. The qualifier for this is that my Five Hundred, and my old Taurus before it, were not the quietest when it came to outside noises, and they were a fair bit more softly sprung than my sport.

All I know is that my Sport manages to be a more smooth and quiet ride while also being a better handling car as well, which I assume must be at least partially attributable to the adaptive dampers and pothole detection.

One more thing, while I'm on the subject, for its size and purpose, the Five Hundred handled better than any large car had a right to, especially given its towering-for-a-sedan height.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm not sure how much difference it makes, my 16 Titanium seemed to handle to bumps pretty well. Seems like a lot of complicated heavy components that could have been accomplished with decent struts, shocks and springs, just my 2 cents. I just hope it isn't a long term reliability item.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well from the Koni sport struts and swift spring I had in my MS3 this combo is amazing. I don't know if I wanna mess with the suspension in the future. Works great in my book

·
Registered
868 Posts
I pay attention to it ALL the time since work takes me through industrial districts and I still try to avoid them all of course, but I can't say if I notice a difference or not. I guess I'd have to take another "non sport" fusion through the same terrain back to back to really tell.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The only time I noticed it working was in a parking lot with quite a few pot holes about 1 foot wide. I was going about 15 mpg and it was noticeable compared to my 2012 Fusion. I drive this lot several times a week so I know the holes. (There is an area that is hard to miss.) I also noticed it on some RR tracks I take most days. Seem to smooth them out but that could also just be the suspension doing a better job.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It would be difficult to make a fair comparison as to how well the pot hole detection works compared to a fusion titanium which would be closest in weight and most similar (or maybe the Platinum). There are too many factors to make a fair comparison.
vehicle weight,
How much weight is up front an in the rear,
speed when the pot hole it hit,
compare using the same pothole at the same speed,
etc.

I have not looked but there is probably a fuse for the system.
Maybe driving on the same road, over the same hole at the same speed with the system active and the fuse removed, system not active? Try to feel the difference.
But, is that even a fair comparison because the struts used in the FFS are made to be powered and be activated through electric pulses. Removing the power from the system may make the struts operate totally different than when they are powered???

Not trying to over analyze but it seems the primary purpose of the system is to make the care handle better and change how it handles in Sport mode. It seems that the pot hole detection portion is something that probably is a side effective to the primary purpose of the system (and a marketing effort).

Reactions: Fuze and 1153

·
Registered
624 Posts
Can't say I ever noticed the system in action as advertised over a pothole. Doesn't mean it doesn't work. I have definitely noticed it in action cornering hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The key word to remember about this pothole tech is 'mitigation'. It is designed to mitigate the impact when driving over a pothole or pumps etc. not to eliminate or avoid impact. I replaced my 13 Fusion Titanium with my present FS, and it definitely handles potholes and bumps noticeably better than the Titanium, especially in the crater ridden NYC area.

The FS is also a quieter car even though I did also find the Titanium quieter and ride quality better than many of its competitors.

I also find the 2 ride modes in the FS more distinctive than 3 modes in the Lincoln MKZ btw.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quite interesting reading through all of the comments. If fuse 36 would take it off, I guess that does seem to be the best way to test it back to back. The main thing I guess is that it does do something, it's just a matter of if you really notice it doing something ? I guess once it's comfortable that's all that really matters ?

Sorry, I've been away for a little bit so I'm trying to catch up now lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Active suspension is one of the largest reasons I chose the 2017 Fusion Sport over the 2017 Fusion Titanium. I am very happy with my choice.

I have not driven through a pot hole yet, but I have driven over railroad tracks, speed bumps and washboard dirt (for a picture). Active suspension makes each of these much better. The washboard was much, much better.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Doesn't work. I still hit potholes ALL the time...

J/K

Reactions: elronino

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I can't compare it to a new fusion without it, but compared to my 2010 fusion sport, bumps are less intrusive. No potholes, but looking at railroad crossings, etc.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Active suspension is one of the largest reasons I chose the 2017 Fusion Sport over the 2017 Fusion Titanium. I am very happy with my choice.

I have not driven through a pot hole yet, but I have driven over railroad tracks, speed bumps and washboard dirt (for a picture). Active suspension makes each of these much better. The washboard was much, much better.
Yeah, I drove mine on a gravel road the first weekend I had it and could see washboard, but not feel it.

Reactions: jtk500 and elronino

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Yeah, I drove mine on a gravel road the first weekend I had it and could see washboard, but not feel it.

That's a pretty big thing. Washboard dirt is extremely treacherous, at least in my experiences with older vehicles. But that's the other thing, I haven't driven anything up to time like these to make that comparison.

But if it could make that washboard feeling close to non-existent, that says a lot about the suspension and how this system works out.

Thanks guys !

·
Registered
447 Posts
I feel it but its not as magical as they advertised .. its more like a different way of stabilizing the car on in even road.. wether its better that normal shocks is debatable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have to say, when I test drove one..I really liked this feature. Felt like a whole different Fusion!

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
That was my reaction re: my 2015 Fusion SE versus the Sport--much lighter feeling car. Although the discussions about the Steeda strut (which I'm going to try) made the feel lighter too.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Obviously my comment posted to the wrong thread. Sorry. But I do have a comment which I wrote to the dealer and Ford Customer Service re: pothole detection: Originally advertised to not drop the tire at all into the pothole; currently advertised to not drop the tire "Entirely" into the hole. A big shift in ability. Mine doesn't work well on DFW roads and I will have my new dealer look at it. Cockerdogs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts