Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
“And I'll say this again: EcoBoost is great when everything works right. When something goes wrong, it can go really really wrong and you'll start playing "let's diagnose this problem/leak"”
...I can’t argue with that! Diagnosis of these engines is a challenge. That’s one reason I was so happy to see Ford bringing back pushrod V8s. Not that they’ll ever find their way into a nice mid-sized sedan, but I’m really tempted to drop a 6.8 into a good used Crown Vic!!
I want to see a modern version of the 7.5L big block. I loved my 7.5L in my old 75 T-Bird. That car was a piece of junk by the time I owned it (it was long-since worn out and hadn't been cared for very well before I bought it), but that engine was a total tank. It just wouldn't quit.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Engineer - That’s the 7.3 liter Godzilla motor. I’ve watched vids on the inter webs of people stuffing the 7.3 in Mustangs of various platforms, and bolting blowers on them already. Unbelievable power and torque results!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Engineer - That’s the 7.3 liter Godzilla motor. I’ve watched vids on the inter webs of people stuffing the 7.3 in Mustangs of various platforms, and bolting blowers on them already. Unbelievable power and torque results!
Wow 789 crank HP with a supercharger:

I'm pretty sure that's getting up into the newer, reduced NASCAR horsepower levels (what's actually allowed on the track I mean, not what the cars would really be capable of if they didn't have restrictor plates and all that garbage). Pretty awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
I feel that I have rarely met someone on a car forum who hates the car the forum is about so much. 😂.
You should have followed me on the Tacoma forum...

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
934 Posts
You should have followed me on the Tacoma forum...
@BOT_ROCKET what I want to know is, has your driving improved since getting rid of the Toyota? ;)

I'm convinced that there is something about Toyotas that makes people terrible drivers. They all drive really slow, can't corner worth a crap, and are just incredibly annoying. Like every single one of them. Anyone driving a Toyota.

Honestly I'd be afraid to drive one, even in an emergency. I value my driving skills too much. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
As for metro's complaints; there are lemons of all makes and models. The SHO might make more torque at a lower rpm, but the FuSpo makes more torque at a higher rpm, and the FuSpo makes enough torque at a low enough rpm to make traction a concern. The Sport is lighter than a SHO, and the fact that it feels heavier is ok in my book because the Taurus I drive at work feels light in a cheap car kind of way, unlike my Fusion, which feels solid. My Foxbody Mustang is a thousand pounds lighter than either, it "feels" lighter, but that doesn't equate to good handling, not stock anyway. I would be very interested to see how the FuSpo and SHO compare on a track, despite how they each may "feel."

As with any first year model, expect more lemons in the earlier production cars.

Reactions: DaMiFo and Engineer

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
@BOT_ROCKET what I want to know is, has your driving improved since getting rid of the Toyota? ;)

I'm convinced that there is something about Toyotas that makes people terrible drivers. They all drive really slow, can't corner worth a crap, and are just incredibly annoying. Like every single one of them. Anyone driving a Toyota.

Honestly I'd be afraid to drive one, even in an emergency. I value my driving skills too much. :cool:
I don't mind Toyota, per se, but the Taco is just so tremendously overrated. The lack of power was my main gripe. I'm sure I'd be ok in a supra or Land Cruiser (or their lexus equivalents).

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't mind Toyota, per se, but the Taco is just so tremendously overrated. The lack of power was my main gripe. I'm sure I'd be ok in a supra or Land Cruiser (or their lexus equivalents).
Although, to be fair, I think the Supra is actually a re-badged BMW. That's what I've heard, anyway. Those are pretty fierce, though.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
246 Posts
I always read about Tacos and their famously underpowered drivetrains. Always thought the solution might be for them to just buy 2.7 EcoBoost from Ford and jam them in there. 😂 Then they'd be better Rangers.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
246 Posts
My Fusion Sport has exhibited more problems during the first 10k miles than the other vehicles at 50k-100k+ miles. The only one that comes close is the 81 Thunderbird with the 302 V8. It was my dad's hand-me-down and it'd have problems every so often not unlike the Fusion Sport. If it wasn't one thing it was another. My old Dodge K-car was a POS but you could feed it garbage and it would still run just fine. Suck in water into the engine, and have the water freeze the engine the next morning, but be able to start once the ice melted inside the engine and keep on trucking? Check.

The Fusion Sport would pop its tire on small potholes and leak a bunch of different fluids. I never figured out what it dumped out all over the undercarriage but it stopped and never did it again. Overall not a big fan and if I had to do it again, I would not. I do respect the things Ford had to do to fit that 2.7 into the Fusion though and it is a sleeper.

And I'll say this again: EcoBoost is great when everything works right. When something goes wrong, it can go really really wrong and you'll start playing "let's diagnose this problem/leak"
By the way Metro, you're profile name wouldn't happen to be related to a city sized autobot would it?

·
Premium Member
1,012 Posts
Although, to be fair, I think the Supra is actually a re-badged BMW. That's what I've heard, anyway. Those are pretty fierce, though.
I guess I was thinking about the Supra that has a lexus cousin, but the new BMupra would be fine, too. I wouldn't say it's a rebadged bimmer, though. It was a collaborative effort, so they're each a mashup of eachothers parts.

·
Super Moderator
1,521 Posts
Wow this thread went off the rails rather quickly.

Anyways... As some has said, whether you like the Fusion Sport compared to a Focus ST can go one of two ways:
  • If you think it's like a bigger & faster ST, it's not. It's just not what it's about, and you will be disappointed.
  • If you like the ST but want something that's a little more 'grown-up' while still having a lot of fun, then the Sport is exactly what you want.

As for reliability, yeah all cars have their issues and their unhappy owners, but there are way more happy trouble-free owners than those who think they're hot garbage... by far. The Sport is way more comfortable on road trips or commuting, but still very fun (if it has garbage all-season or touring tires, get those off and get a set of handling-focus tires. It makes a massive difference). If you like the exhaust sound of the Focus ST, you'll be fine with the sound of the Sport with an aftermarket exhaust. For other sounds, you really won't hear much without a BOV or some other mods.

If you're worried about performance, mine has been through two non-competitive / car enthusiast level track days and has kept pace with Focus ST's easily. The Focus' lighter weight but FWD evened out with the heavier Fusion with our AWD and more power very nicely.

Good luck with your decision!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts