Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I’ve been looking at the fusion sport because I wanted something more comfortable for road trips but still almost as fun as my Focus ST, so I’ve been thinking about selling the ST! The sport has so many fun bells and whistles as well! I’m curious as to what kind of turbo noises they can make, my ST makes some fun ones! Their is some great threads in this forum!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve been looking at the fusion sport because I wanted something more comfortable for road trips but still almost as fun as my Focus ST, so I’ve been thinking about selling the ST! The sport has so many fun bells and whistles as well! I’m curious as to what kind of turbo noises they can make, my ST makes some fun ones! Their is some great threads in this forum! View attachment 28072
That's a really sharp FoST you have there! The FFS is a really fun ride in my opinion, but probably much more refined and less "throw you around" than the ST is. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing is totally your call. You can also obviously make either car move faster with mods like a tune, for instance, although either of these cars are pretty quick straight from factory.

You asked about turbo noise. The FFS is a really quiet car. It's part of the "refined" I mentioned above. But you can hear a little bit of that when you really get into it. I guess if you wanted more sound though, you could things like add a BOV to the FFS. That's not going to do much one way or the other for performance but it will give you some more audible feedback. Other options would be things like looking at the exhaust, for instance.

I think both are great cars but they're just different. If you're ready for something a little bigger, more refined, and more comfy but still really quick, with a really nice feature set, the FFS is a great car.

Welcome to the forum btw. :cool:

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Hello and welcome you have a very nice FoST

Reactions: Engineer

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
The turbo sound is one thing I was most disappointed with the FuSpo. I test drove a 2.0 escape a long time ago, and could hear the turbo a little bit, which I loved. It reminded me of my big turbo Thunderbird Turbocoupe. Then I got the Sport, and have yet to hear any whistle whatsoever.

I plan to do a custom intake and exhaust eventually with the hope of getting a bit more singing.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
252 Posts
Hey guys, I’ve been looking at the fusion sport because I wanted something more comfortable for road trips but still almost as fun as my Focus ST, so I’ve been thinking about selling the ST! The sport has so many fun bells and whistles as well! I’m curious as to what kind of turbo noises they can make, my ST makes some fun ones! Their is some great threads in this forum! View attachment 28072
I think you'll find that the choice mostly will come down to what you value most. The FuSpo is very quick, very comfortable, and very quiet. It is capable of handling itself in the curves (particularly in sport mode) but very quickly can become overwhelmed, particularly in stock iterations (some members here have added Steeda rear sway bars that I am told improve handling considerably). In comparison to your ST, you will be exchanging your superior cornering ability and sportier ride for a quicker, softer sedan.

I don't believe you'll regret switching, but do keep in mind that these cars are different beasts.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think you'll find that the choice mostly will come down to what you value most. The FuSpo is very quick, very comfortable, and very quiet. It is capable of handling itself in the curves (particularly in sport mode) but very quickly can become overwhelmed, particularly in stock iterations (some members here have added Steeda rear sway bars that I am told improve handling considerably). In comparison to your ST, you will be exchanging your superior cornering ability and sportier ride for a quicker, softer sedan.

I don't believe you'll regret switching, but do keep in mind that these cars are different beasts.
@DarkArkAngel makes a really good point here (and one that I hadn't realized, to be honest). I got curious after saw this, and looked up the 0-60 on the FoST. That's a quick car, no doubt, but the straight-line performance of the FFS is substantially higher. I didn't realize how much faster our cars were than the FoST on straight lines until I saw that. In a corner, obviously, the ST is going to be able to turn quicker, but if you're growing into more of a desire for a Grand Touring / highway cruiser type car, the FFS is hands down the way to go between these two. Hopefully that helps some.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If you like to play "let's diagnose the next problem/leak/issue..." then the Fusion Sport is your future ride!!

If I could go back in time I'd just keep the 2014 SHO. It was a much better car in almost every way possible.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you like to play "let's diagnose the next problem/leak/issue..." then the Fusion Sport is your future ride!!

If I could go back in time I'd just keep the 2014 SHO. It was a much better car in almost every way possible.
There are still some around if you're really wanting one: 2014 Ford Taurus SHO for Sale (with Photos) - CARFAX

We didn't have a SHO but we did own several Tauruses prior to the Fusions. They were nice cars but I actually liked the earlier generation, the one that was more mid-sized, rather than the larger one that came along later. Both were really nice, I'm just more of a larger mid-size sedan fan, as opposed to a large-sedan fan. The Fusion (or the earlier Taurus, circa early 2000s) was about the right size for me.

But I still consider my FFS to be a substantial upgrade over any of those cars, as nice as they were.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The 2011-2019 D3 Taurus was the 500 before the name change. Has nothing to do with the old Taurus other than Mullally changing the name. The day I saw the first 500 is when I understood it was to replace the Crown Vic. The SHO I had and the Explorer I have really don't handle or drive as poorly as one might think. The Fusion Sport is the opposite and is deceptively heavy for such a tiny car. Then again I had my Crown Vic for over 17 years and that was more like a land barge

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
252 Posts
The 2011-2019 D3 Taurus was the 500 before the name change. Has nothing to do with the old Taurus other than Mullally changing the name. The day I saw the first 500 is when I understood it was to replace the Crown Vic. The SHO I had and the Explorer I have really don't handle or drive as poorly as one might think. The Fusion Sport is the opposite and is deceptively heavy for such a tiny car. Then again I had my Crown Vic for over 17 years and that was more like a land barge
[/QUOTE
I feel that I have rarely met someone on a car forum who hates the car the forum is about so much. 😂.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Just remeber. He seems to have had some issues with his car so that means all of then are trash despite that contradicting almost all other owners.
Just remember I'm not the only one with some of the same issues with the Fusion Sport. There are others that have been just as or more frustrated with the Fusion Sport. This isn't the only online community for Fusion Sports. Best of luck!

·
Registered
938 Posts
The FFS gets up to speed fast enough to be illegal anywhere in North America within seconds. Unless you're racing, it's probably fast enough for most drivers at stock (actually, probably too fast for some folks). Heavy or not, it has no problem moving the weight it has. You do feel the weight when cornering quickly but the car does all right even in most everyday cornering situations. If you're rally racing you'd be better off with a Focus or Fiesta, but for a great all-around family sedan with a lot of luxury and performance, I give it very high marks.

I know some of the weight is things like the fact it has a very durable V6 engine. Honestly, I'm okay with it having a little more weight to get a good, solid V6 instead of some little 4-banger. A 6 was one of my requirements when I went looking for a car. So I knew I'd pay some in weight to get that. I'm okay with it. I'm also okay with added weight for AWD, and for 401A, etc. I don't have a full breakdown of what all the heavy items are but I'm sure there are reasons for them.

I wouldn't call the car "tiny". Honestly in my opinion it's on the larger end of midsize. I've had people tell me they thought it was a large car and I had to tell them it's actually considered a midsize. Regardless of how it's classified though, it's a great size for me.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
It’s slower than the SHo stock vs stock and is a tiny car. I can’t fit properly with a racing helmet but I can fit fine with room to spare with a helmet in the SHO and Crown Vic and Mustang and Cobalt. Etc

The Fusion Sport is the same weight as a 98-02 Crown Vic to put things into perspective.

out of all the cars I’ve owned used or new in the past decades even a Dodge K car, the Fusion Sport has by far the most number of problems even though it has a fraction of the mileage thus far.

·
Registered
938 Posts
It’s slower than the SHo stock vs stock and is a tiny car. I can’t fit properly with a racing helmet but I can fit fine with room to spare with a helmet in the SHO and Crown Vic and Mustang and Cobalt. Etc

The Fusion Sport is the same weight as a 98-02 Crown Vic to put things into perspective.

out of all the cars I’ve owned used or new in the past decades even a Dodge K car, the Fusion Sport has by far the most number of problems even though it has a fraction of the mileage thus far.
Some of that might be legal requirements, though, right? I mean, you're comparing a car from two decades ago with one from today. But today we have air bags, probably heavier impact bracing, I'm sure there are a number of things I'm not even aware of that add weight. I'm sure if you were to build a 2000 Crown Vic using today's requirements, it would weight more than the original 2000 Crown Vic did. Not saying there's nowhere they could lighten the FFS (I'm sure there is), but I just think the car isn't so overweight as some say. And that it does a better job, given it's power/weight ratio, than some give it credit for, is all.

I can't say much about reliability since I haven't owned it a long time yet. I have my own peeves with the car; I'm not a fan of the plastic oil pan. I don't like the random stalling thing (although I haven't had that in a long time and I think that was, in my case, likely either an impure fuel thing, or a bad battery). And obviously there are the issues with the very early 2017s, although most of those are probably resolved by now. Those didn't affect my 18 though. I'm not saying the car is perfect. But it's, for the money, far and away the best option I had, for me, for the way I use the car. I don't regret it a bit. Although I do hope they stop with the plastic oil pan thing in future cars. And it would be really nice if they came out with a gasket for ours, but I don't think they will because R&D on a car that's EOL doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
No one is questioning WHY the Fusion Sport weighs as much as a Crown Vic. I am just pointing that out to put things in perspective. The modern day Crown Vic would be the 13-19 Taurus SHO which weighs the same as a 2003-10?11? Crown Vic or a MKZ 3.0 AWD so overall not too bad. The 3.5L EcoBoost on the SHO just makes gobs more torque at a lower RPM than the 2.7L EcoBoost. The 2.7 isn't bad, especially if you're someone getting into a Fusion Sport without having tried any of the other EcoBoost V6 vehicles with a tune. But looking at my datalogs, it is clear as day why the 3.5 is better in terms of power output and its not just a simple matter of displacement or turbo sizing. The 3.0 in the Explorer ST and MKZ/Conti has far more power output and if anything I'd pick the 3.0 engine over the 3.5 due to the timing chain and internal water pump issues

I used to think the SHO's interior is a bit cramped (around my knees and the center console does feel huge) but again, with a full faced racing helmet I can sit in a proper/safe racing position in the SHO, Mustang GT, Cobalt SS (which is a compact car BTW), and Explorer. In the Fusion, the seat has to be all the way down on the floor with the seat-back in a reclined position. This allows me enough head clearance to drive but I have to drive Detroit-style almost fully reclined/lazy-boy style.

The new Explorer ST still uses a plastic oil pan but somewhere Ford changed the gasket design on the 2.7/3.0 plastic oil pans to use a pressed-in gasket, but I saw photos of an Explorer ST's plastic oil pan leaking and saw the RTV they were using. Whatever the case, there are still some reports of leaks on the 3.0

So to answer the original author's question - if you are dead set on a Fusion Sport I recommend you look at a MKZ 3.0 AWD or a Continental first. They are simply better cars than the Fusion Sport with better everything (headlights, etc...)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Speaking now to the OP:
My car is at 116,5++ miles now and it’s no better or worse from the standpoint of problems than any of the dozens of Fords me or my family have owned over the past 40 years. My job requires me to go to very inhospitable places in all kinds of weather and I highly recommend the FuSport to anyone who asks me. Never lets me down.
To other points made:
I’ve owned several Crown Vics (‘87, ‘89, ‘91, ‘94, ‘00) and otherwise largest sedans Ford offered at the time (‘67 Galaxie, ‘77 LTD) and the Crown Vic was a freak of nature. I had one Police Interceptor go 89k before it needed shocks and brakes!! No offense to anyone but IMO it’s unfair to compare the Panther platform cars, engineered solely for the U.S. market and built for, what? 25 years or more? in a steady progression of improvements. I think those days are ancient history. Never again will Ford build a car “just for me” for multiple decades that I could repeatedly just go back and trade the old one for a new & improved but familiar replacement. Now it has to satisfy multiple markets around the world, a panoply of safety and fuel economy standards, and a pace of development through obsolescence that is head-spinning considering how insanely complex vehicles are now.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My Fusion Sport has exhibited more problems during the first 10k miles than the other vehicles at 50k-100k+ miles. The only one that comes close is the 81 Thunderbird with the 302 V8. It was my dad's hand-me-down and it'd have problems every so often not unlike the Fusion Sport. If it wasn't one thing it was another. My old Dodge K-car was a POS but you could feed it garbage and it would still run just fine. Suck in water into the engine, and have the water freeze the engine the next morning, but be able to start once the ice melted inside the engine and keep on trucking? Check.

The Fusion Sport would pop its tire on small potholes and leak a bunch of different fluids. I never figured out what it dumped out all over the undercarriage but it stopped and never did it again. Overall not a big fan and if I had to do it again, I would not. I do respect the things Ford had to do to fit that 2.7 into the Fusion though and it is a sleeper.

And I'll say this again: EcoBoost is great when everything works right. When something goes wrong, it can go really really wrong and you'll start playing "let's diagnose this problem/leak"

·
Registered
588 Posts
“And I'll say this again: EcoBoost is great when everything works right. When something goes wrong, it can go really really wrong and you'll start playing "let's diagnose this problem/leak"”
...I can’t argue with that! Diagnosis of these engines is a challenge. That’s one reason I was so happy to see Ford bringing back pushrod V8s. Not that they’ll ever find their way into a nice mid-sized sedan, but I’m really tempted to drop a 6.8 into a good used Crown Vic!!

Reactions: DarkArkAngel
1 - 20 of 32 Posts