Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Car and Driver 10 Best Cars of 2017 issue in the mail yesterday. The Fusion Sport didn't make the 10 Best list, but it was considered and is featured in a couple different places in this issue. It is featured in a article called, "The Retreads", where they test new versions of models that failed to win 10 Best in previous years. The Fusion Sport is also featured in an article titled, "Hard Act To Follow', where they compared it against the new Audi A4. They posted identical 0-60 times and the Fusion Sport beat the A4 in the quarter mile by a tenth of a second.The author liked the A4 better, but the A4 also cost more than $54,000.

The twin-turbo 2.7-liter V6 that powers the Fusion Sport along with the F150, Edge Sport, Lincoln Continental, and MKX is mentioned as one of Car and Driver's 10 favorite engines of 2017. I think this is a pretty big honor for this engine especially considering the other engines on this list. The list includes the Audi/Lamborghini 5.2-liter V10, BMW turbo 2.0-liter inline-4, BMW turbo 3.0-liter inline-6, Chevrolet 6.2-liter V8 (LT1), Dodge supercharged 6.2-liter V8 (Hellcat), Ford 5.2-liter V8 (Voodoo), Mercedes-AMG twin-turbo 4.0-liter V8, and the Porsche 4.0-liter flat-6.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I checked out the A3 & A4 and when optioned up simalar to what I got in my FFS I couldn't find any for under 50K.

Shawn S

Reactions: ike

·
Registered
181 Posts
That's awesome. For 35K it is a fabulous car. To me it is the equivalent of a Torino GT Cobrajet back in the day.
"Back in the Day" I had a 1970 Torino GT. I agree whole heartedly.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yeah, I thought that A4 comparison article was a bit weird. I was cross shopping the new A4, so I'm pretty familiar with both cars. I don't mind that the author liked the A4 better; it's a great car, and for an extra $10k it ought to have some advantages over the Fusion Sport. What I found strange was the overall tone. The article was written as if the Fusion Sport were the $50k car, and he was disappointed that it wasn't better than the $40k car. The whole time I was saying to myself "Well yeah, it costs $10k less dude."

The fact that an article like this is even being written is a win for Ford though. For them to be drawing comparisons to German sports sedans at much higher price points is quite an achievement.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agreed- the one page article was written strangely- it was like the primary intent was to put the Fusion down. He kept mentioning how the FuSpo felt slower than its 0-60 time indicated. As mentioned though it was nice to see it compared to a German sedan. My 2010 Sport would never have made it to that article in the 2010 Ten Best. This car can only get better.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Reactions: D&D and 1153

·
Registered
215 Posts
Another thing that came to mind when reading the FS/ Audi A4 article was how important the transmission is in this whole equation. While I have no doubt that Audi underrates their 2.0t, it still needed launch control and a 7 speed DSG to equal the Fusion Sport's acceleration. With a more competitive transmission the Fusion Sport could be a legitimate sub 5 second 0-60 car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Another thing that came to mind when reading the FS/ Audi A4 article was how important the transmission is in this whole equation. While I have no doubt that Audi underrates their 2.0t, it still needed launch control and a 7 speed DSG to equal the Fusion Sport's acceleration. With a more competitive transmission the Fusion Sport could be a legitimate sub 5 second 0-60 car.
I wholeheartedly agree! The new 10 speed from the F-150 would be a great upgrade for the Sport

Reactions: 1153 and D&D

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree! The new 10 speed from the F-150 would be a great upgrade for the Sport
Even the tranny in the current F-150 would be a nice upgrade. Too bad they won't fit. I'm guessing it will be a few years before the transverse 10 speed gets into cars.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
Also, other than 3rd gear being too tall, the 6 speed is fine. The powerband of the ecoboost is so broad that you dont need a whole bunch of gears to keep it in its sweet spot. If Ford wasn't so incredibly conservative with the tune (power falls off hard at high rpm and torque management kills the launch) and the tranny was better at shifting gears, the sport would almost certainly be in the 4s. A mild tune to correct some of what Ford did to neuter this car is all you need for 4s.

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Registered
215 Posts
The new 10 speed is for longitudinal applications only, but a new 9 speed transverse was also developed along side the 10 speed. So the 9 speed is a good bet eventually.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.moto...e-gmford-transverse-nine-speed-automatic/amp/
Yes, I think the next generation Fusion will get this transmission, perhaps for the 2019 model year. Given that the current Fusion represents a mid-cycle refresh, we're due for a more extensive revision in the 2019-2020 time frame.

I also agree with Bot in that the current transmission isn't altogether bad. Hopefully the ratios on the new transmission aren't biased too heavily in favor of mileage, and Ford builds in enough robustness to eliminate the need for so much torque management.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
The tranny they name in that article is actually rated lower than what we have now. That's not to say they wont have higher rated versions, but I'd take the 6f55 over the 9t50. If Ford put a 9f65 that shifts like a Ferrari in the 2019 Torino 3.0L Cobra Jet, I might think about giving my FuSpo back when the lease is up.

Reactions: Kevin74

·
Registered
263 Posts
The tranny they name in that article is actually rated lower than what we have now. That's not to say they wont have higher rated versions, but I'd take the 6f55 over the 9t50. If Ford put a 9f65 that shifts like a Ferrari in the 2019 Torino 3.0L Cobra Jet, I might think about giving my FuSpo back when the lease is up.
Whoa, what is this Torino Cobra Jet that you speak of ?:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts