• Could be better, but I'll live

Votes: 32 24.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Ronan, and I'm a data analysis freak.... phew got that off my chest:laugh:

Driving background:
  • 108 Mile roundtrip commute to work
  • 98 miles of work commute are highway
  • I average about 100 miles per week city driving
  • I use ONLY 93 Octane Shell Vpower
So, starting with my 07' GP GXP I tracked my fuel mileage to a 'T'. Last year I created a spreadsheet with a bunch of data points, calculations, and graphs to track my 14' FuSE... I ended with a 26.46 MPG average over 3 years. My driving style is cruise control on the highways when I can and spirited driving in the city.

I'm doing the same thing with our 16' Sierra and now the 17FuSpo. I'm currently at 2634.8 miles logged and have an average MPG of 22.38. The published numbers are 17/20/26, so my 22.38 falls 2.38 MPG above the combined rating. I'll be honest and say that the I have not gone to extensive lengths to conserve fuel so far, as I am enjoying the car.

So far, considering my commute mileage is 90% highway (some horrible stop and go thought), I am fairly pleased with the fuel economy. I will likely spend some time over the next few months toning down the spirited driving to see if I can bump the numbers a bit and stretch my fuel a little longer.

What are others experiencing?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I expect the relatively small displacement (for a V6) to provide decent mileage on the highway, probably close to the 26 mpg rating. Like other turbocharged cars I've owned, I expect that mileage in "normal" driving will depend heavily on your right foot. A rich mixture is one way to discourage detonation. The more lead-footed among us may see mileage approach single digits -- the EPA cycle doesn't include heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more lead-footed among us may see mileage approach single digits -- the EPA cycle doesn't include heavy acceleration.
That is correct. I guess, I was surprised at the overall MPG I am achieving based on how heavy I hit the pedal. I will try and get a better understand of my highway MPG and report back

·
Registered
101 Posts
Think I'm at 22.6 mpg overall last I checked. Only done about 680mi. Quite a bit of highway obviously, but with some spirited driving mixed in. Using 87 only so far.

Live 2 miles from work, so mpg isn't much of a concern. Fun per gallon is what matters :D.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm actually pretty surprised.

I've had a bit of a heavy foot, and with the engine break in, I've been trying to keep the trans out of 5th and 6th gears... and I've averaged 18.5 in mostly city traffic. I was honestly expecting worse.

I'm sure there's quite a bit of room for improvement too.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Live 2 miles from work, so mpg isn't much of a concern. Fun per gallon is what matters :D.
Well I envy you.... My wife has a 3 mile commute. I still cherish the FPG (fun per gallon)... just like to keep track for comparisons.

I'm also curious to see how 87/93(91) impacts mpg.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Well I envy you.... My wife has a 3 mile commute. I still cherish the FPG (fun per gallon)... just like to keep track for comparisons.

I'm also curious to see how 87/93(91) impacts mpg.
Yea I grew up and worked in SoCal for most of my life. Can't handle the traffic/commutes anymore. 1-2 hours each way every day is crazy looking back. And I was on call 24/7, sometimes had to make those commutes 3-4 times a day...f*ck that place.

Thankfully had take home company vehicles with free gas at least.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have a 40 mile commute to work every day. about 4 of those miles is city driving.

I kept track with my 2010 fusion sport for a while to get a baseline and see what the difference between the calculated value the car reads out vs actual, and I will do the same with the new one when I get it. I will post whatever I have if this thread is still going by then (it probably wont be cause I still have plenty to wait).

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 40 mile commute to work every day. about 4 of those miles is city driving.

I kept track with my 2010 fusion sport for a while to get a baseline and see what the difference between the calculated value the car reads out vs actual, and I will do the same with the new one when I get it. I will post whatever I have if this thread is still going by then (it probably wont be cause I still have plenty to wait).
I plan to keep it going and see everyone's analysis, those willing to do it.

Just to give a little teaser of what I've got going on:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I plan to keep it going and see everyone's analysis, those willing to do it.

Just to give a little teaser of what I've got going on:
I just use the fuelly app. It tracks everything. But seeing that I am an engineer, your setup is very nice.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just use the fuelly app. It tracks everything.
I use fuelly as well... I just had some spare time at work... :|.... and whipped up this doodad. Plus, if there is a metric or stat I want, I just code for it.

But seeing that I am an engineer, your setup is very nice.
And yes... as an engineer... you should yearn for data and analysis :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm getting 25.7 and that's checked manually. On board computer reads 25.9 so it's pretty close. My driving is mostly highway at 60-65mph.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hahaha... You using both feet on the gas?!?! 😳😳😳
😂😂😂 Its a lot of city driving down here, man. And when I do have a stretch of road I-... well... you know... Let's just say, if you want to break the tires loose you need to brake later into the apex then floor it for a nice sweeping slide. (TC off, Sport mode on) 😈

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
😂😂😂 Its a lot of city driving down here, man. And when I do have a stretch of road I-... well... you know... Let's just say, if you want to break the tires loose you need to brake later into the apex then floor it for a nice sweeping slide. (TC off, Sport mode on) 😈
I'm too much of a baby to ride her that hard yet...one day I'll I'll take the training bra off her

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm at roughly 1500 miles and about 2/3 city driving. I'm at roughly 18 total. I did have one lengthy highway road trip, and it was reporting around 26. But when I do my own calculations, I'm typically in the 17-22 range. Not great, and definitely worse than what I was expecting. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts