Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was just curious if anyone else has ever seen this message, I couldn't seem to find it posted anywhere though.

2017 Fusion Sport, 93 octane tune, if i launch it from a stop I can hardly catch traction, and most times the wheels keep spinning until I let off the gas. If I let them spin too long, they will still not catch, and then on my the dash I get the message "AWD Temporarily Disabled".

I also took it to the track for the first time last night to try it on a prepped surface. On my first launch I just floored it without a brake boost and spun my front wheels almost halfway down the track before I got the AWD disabled message. I can also spin my front wheels (usually they catch after a second or two, but its more than just a chirp) if i stomp it while going anywhere up to about 30 mph.

From what I understand if the car feels the front wheels not grabbing it will send some power to the rear, and then the car should catch. But I can just sit there and roll a FWD burnout instead.

Also not sure if this is related but does anyone else get a decent bit torque steer if they gun it?

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Does it do it if you go back to stock?

No torque steer for me just pulls hard and straight as an arrow...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it do it if you go back to stock?

No torque steer for me just pulls hard and straight as an arrow...
I'll put it back to stock tomorrow and see.

I forgot to mention I got a little orange wrench icon on my dash a few months back that said "see manual" but it hasn't popped up since. Does that just mean it threw a code for something?

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
I'll put it back to stock tomorrow and see.

I forgot to mention I got a little orange wrench icon on my dash a few months back that said "see manual" but it hasn't popped up since. Does that just mean it threw a code for something?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I suspect on a super torquey launch at the track, the fronts spin some and
the programming actually sends less power to the rear (I think it thinks there
is something wrong, as fronts should never spin too much with stock power).

That said, I'm talking way less than 10 feet of wheelspin, so something
must be wrong with your car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright so I pulled out my tuner, and there were no DTC codes, so I would guess I flashed it at some point after I got that error. Not sure what to tell the dealer about that one....

I flashed it back to stock, took it out and took some videos of a few pulls and something definitely feels off. I also noticed this weird either grinding or buzzing noise in my front left tire any time the car is sending power. It's faint but the pedal vibrates a bit when it happens. I took a video but you can't really hear anything unless you listen really close with headphones.

and it looks like I can't link videos, but this is close enough I guess.

From a stop: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1-qKk7sFKVSxTq1pVYRdTBRlXej6hfzvz

From 10mph: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=10F6Id13I20IFMt0rfi00fTIhJOaCuru6

Grinding?: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1-xPiDA8meKTywpseIugZE7maxTFFxKtg

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had that kind of sound from the same side it was the [halfshaft axle assembly (4462AR); bushing - intermediate shaft (PTU bushing) (4462A11)] ...it had to get replaced. I can't get access your videos to hear what you are hearing but from what you said this is what it could be.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
Links fixed...

·
Super Moderator
1,613 Posts
Although mine is on the stock tune, I can't get any front wheel spin at all (even on the garbage Conti all-seasons). I've floored it from a stop or low speed from a corner, and the back end will actually break traction, but never the front (from engine power, at least). I'd definitely get yours looked at.

In our car's AWD system you are correct it does kick power to the back if the front slips (and it reacts pretty fast), but from a stop it always starts with power to all 4 wheels, as well driving at lower speeds or if you get on the gas a decent amount (any speed).

Reactions: ArthurUSCG

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Even at freeway speeds, if you open the throttle towards WOT, it will send power to the rear wheels (no slip required).

On the Explorer, turning the terrain management knob to snow mode sends some power to the rear wheels almost at all times until 55 mph.

BTW even during hard launches on these Badyear F1 tires, I've yet to encounter axle/wheel hop or excessive front spinning. I've managed 1.8x 60' times consistently with the stock street tires. I know what axle hop feels like on FWD and RWD vehicles, and the Fusion Sport seems fine without any drama.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds like your power transfer unit (PTU) is malfunctioning . You should definitely not be experiencing that much front wheel spin or any noticeable torque steer.

Flash it ,back to stock and take it to dealer asao

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got a call from the dealer today after my car showed up.

The sound is gone apparently, and the service tech said he "Couldn't seem to find anything wrong." He told me they won't open the car up, just because I'm saying the AWD system isn't working right. When I mentioned the front wheelspin I was told that it was from the power distribution not being even between the front and back wheels. Uh huh. And then they told me it was my tires causing it. Definitely.

Starting to get frustrated, not sure what to tell them at this point. :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dealer called after my car showed up. Apparently it's not making any noise anymore, and they can't find any reason to open up the drivetrain to take a look. Not sure what else to tell them, but they just make excuses as to why my wheels would spin, and said that just my word something is up with the AWD system isn't good enough. Starting to get frustrated, not sure what else I can tell them. :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts