Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally had some time to give a go at the turbos. Got all the bolts off the front turbo except one... the 2nd bolt for that exhaust that's closest to the front of the car. What in the hell. Tried crowfoot, extensions, hitting it from different angles, there's just no room and the exhaust flares out so I can't fit a socket on it because one side of the exhaust is butted up against the bolt. I can get leverage on it from below with a standard wrench but there's no room to move it to break it loose. Went in expecting it to be hell then I was surprised how smoothly all the bolts were coming off then the last one has to be complete hell. Anyone who's been here, any advice?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
very interested in this as it is my next mod and would like as much info as possible before I get started , keep us updated

·
Registered
694 Posts
After doing the downpipes myself on the garage floor, I vowed to let someone else handle moving forward lol. Should have my new turbos in about 7 days, just going to let the dealership install them for me. No shame, those downpipes were a pain in my ass to get in. Best of luck, what turbos did you go with? MKZ or custom?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MKZ, honestly once it was up in the air besides being in awkward positions, so far I was able to remove all the piping and manifold side bolts with mostly ease except this one bolt. The main issue is the AC line is right in front of it so unless I disconnect the line I have no direct attack at it. If I can't break it loose tonight I'm gonna say screw it and drain the AC just to disconnect the line so I can break this bolt loose.

btw assuming they're the same , hose clamps = 7mm, turbo/exhaust bolts 15mm, heat shield bolts 8mm, torx = t45,

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
all data says to remove the a/c compressor for turbo replacement

·
Registered
694 Posts
I also have an all data login if you need anything.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, R n I the freon and pull the suction hose for the pump. I looked at the nuts on the front turbo for the down pipe and thought, that's not gonna be fun. I,m just lucky I can remove the freon , and put it back later after it's all back together since I work in a shop with a 1234 machine. I just need to finish with the mods on mine, and they'll be ready to go on it. I,m not gonna upgrade my down pipes right now, maybe later if something presents it's self.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anything need removed for the rear turbo? While it was up in the air I removed the torx and hoses but figured the manifold bolts I'd need to get at from above. Im gonna pull at least the ac hose today and see if thats enough to get that bolt off

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Only thing I see on all data for rear turbo is remove sway bar end links , not sure why thou calls for 3.5 hours labor on rear turbo

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front turbo is donezo. I only had to remove the ac line didnt touch the compressor. Getting the turbo out of there was probably the toughest part haha I was trying to play turbo tetris without damaging anything. Now that the front turbo is done only have a few bolts left on the rear and then ill swap that one out. Comparing the 2 wow...the mkz inlet looks so much larger in person compared to the fuspo...

·
Registered
74 Posts
If the inlets are bigger on the compressor housing, is the intake hose also ?

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
how did the turbo come out from the top or bottom on the rad side ?

·
Super Moderator
1,259 Posts
If the inlets are bigger on the compressor housing, is the intake hose also ?
i
No exterior dimensions are the same just internal is different.

·
Registered
74 Posts
i
No exterior dimensions are the same just internal is different.
Oh good, I was wonder if I was gonna have to order some new ones for a MKZ 3.0 if they were bigger at the compressor.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
how did the turbo come out from the top or bottom on the rad side ?
Top. I was able to wiggle it through the airbox area. Obviously put the new one in the same way.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Found my mkz turbos today 1k miles on them 285 each plus bs fees lol cant wait

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I see why they said to remove the end links at least for drivers side (but it's not needed)
There's a catalytic mounting bolt that you remove from under the car then 2 10mm bracket bolts that you need to get at from the drivers side wheel well with the tire off (obv) but I didn't need to change anything up, just snake the extensions through

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
did you have to remove the downpipes or just unbolt them

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Remove. You need the room imo. Btw the turbo manifold bolts the 2 flange nuts have to be removed, then the exhaust, THEN the last turbo manifold bolt (for both turbos). The exhaust is in the way of the third manifold bolt so you can't take it out until the exhaust is separated from the turbo

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
1 more question did you have to remove the heat shield on the rack/pinion assembly another all data request

1 - 20 of 27 Posts