Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed a puddle of black oil under car. It flows right down onto the engine oil drain plug so i thought it was that. But looking up you can see it at the shaft seal on the tranni. Guess i call dealer tomorrow morning. My first American car since the 90's.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there done that....make sure they replace the bushing as well !!!
Thanks. The older bulletins call for the shaft, bushing and seal to be replaced. It must be a bad finish grind on the shaft that causes it to fail.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just noticed a puddle of black oil under car. It flows right down onto the engine oil drain plug so i thought it was that. But looking up you can see it at the shaft seal on the tranni. Guess i call dealer tomorrow morning. My first American car since the 90's.
OK i'm getting drips of oil too in my garage... Was wondering what it was.. I guess a trip to the garage for myself as well. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
The axle shaft seal in our fusion had to be replaced 2 weeks ago. Car only had 600 miles on it. It was in the shop for over a week while the dealer had to wait for the seal. Needless to say I called the Ford Motor Co. and told them I was not happy. They say they couldn't do anything for me as it was being taken care of under warranty. The service manager told me the metal seal was rough and it was causing the leak. They also said the oil pan gasket was leaking as well as the oil drain plug so they replaced all that as well. I love this car and I still love Ford but this left a bad taste in my mouth

·
Registered
296 Posts
With 600 miles on it I am surprised it was only a bad taste in your mouth. That's terrible. A seal that has been noted to leak is one thing but the oil pan. Come on Ford workers in Mexico get ur **** together.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At 1800 miles, I just had my oil pan replaced due to leaking earlier this week. I was getting a small oil puddle while parked and a burning oil smell coming through the vents. Hopefully no more issues surface, because I really like this car.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I am getting mine replaced some time next week. Dealer is ordering parts, said the leak wasnt bad enough to worry about driving right now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quick visual inspection by the dealer in response to my complaint of a burnt oil smell in the cabin, found a potential leak from the oil pan. They cant say if the seal is gone or a crack exists in the composite pan. Will know more on Wednesday when it goes in. The leak is so minimal that I haven't found anything on the driveway as of yet.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just did my first oil change (2nd for the car) and my PTU is leaking at 4200 miles. I know it's not the oil pan because the leak is coal black. The engine oil was just dark honey colored. Taking it in Monday.

·
Super Moderator
1,606 Posts
Just did my first oil change (2nd for the car) and my PTU is leaking at 4200 miles. I know it's not the oil pan because the leak is coal black. The engine oil was just dark honey colored. Taking it in Monday.
Just got my car back on Monday for this. Needed a new PTU as the bearing where the passenger-side axle shaft plugged into the PTU was shot. Everything had to come out to get to the PTU... 6500mi. I noticed the exact same coal black fluid on my drain plug during my 2nd (at 5,000mi) oil change.

Reactions: dlm1984

·
Registered
104 Posts
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but if not, it's very interesting. Not necessarily the review, but the car itself. This guy was another you/tube reviewer who actually put the car up on a lift to check it out and wouldn't you know it, there was a leak from the engine area AND the rear end. At 8,000 miles. Is this that common? I keep saying it but I'll say it again...my '10 has 199,912 miles on it and it has never leaked a thing. Guess they don't make em like they used to? Maybe I'm just lucky. I'm definitely in the market relatively soon for one of these- just hope they get these issues ironed out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Which is tolerable if you are under warranty (although of course, very annoying) but if I have 50k on mine and this happens...and they have to rip the entire rear drivetrain out to fix it like the pic above, that will cost a fortune. It's too bad- I hear about these seals needing replacement a lot on new Fords. And engines needing replacement- just saw one of the goofs I follow on you tube with an RS had to have his engine replaced. Don't mean to start a tirade...just For the first time in 25 yrs I'm starting to lose a bit of confidence in the brand. Hoping it's just that you mostly hear the bad on the forum and the actual numbers of these problems are relatively small.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With 2500mi on the odometer and the weather being nice i figured i'd do the first oil change myself.

I crawl under the car to find this.

So, instead of doing anything myself I made an appointment for a trip to the dealership. Yippee!
Appears to be coming from the CV shaft seal.

Is the grease seeping from the carrier bearing normal?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
.just For the first time in 25 yrs I'm starting to lose a bit of confidence in the brand. Hoping it's just that you mostly hear the bad on the forum and the actual numbers of these problems are relatively small.
Me too, and I bleed Ford blue big time. But I've had issues with all 5 out of 6 of our new Fords since 2014 (2 mustangs, 2 fusions, and 2 escapes). My next car might be BMW or Kia , neither of which I think are ultra reliable either, but I don' think they are worse and Ford abandon me on perf sedans, so what other choice do I have. I did buy 8 yr 125K extended warantee...........

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Qualitee... Job #1

We've owned Fords for over 30 years, and Ford has taken a huge step backwards in terms of overall quality. The best Fords I ever owned were my 2000 Crown Vic and 2007 Mustang GT. Even though they were relatively decontented and made with "cheap feeling" materials, I never had a problem with them. The Crown Vic (made during Jack the Knife Nasser years) after 17 years of daily driving was rattle-free and problem-free.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Drove our 2000 Crown Vic (commercial taxi package “long” wheelbase - and yes, I ordered it that way on purpose, and yes, I owned a total of 5 over my life) to 230,000 miles. It was pretty clapped out by then but when I spun it out and hit a bridge abutment backwards at about 30mph, I was still able to drive it to the junkyard!

I think the quicker product cycles have hurt overall quality. They built the Panther platform for I think 20+ years? And for several models of vehicles. The Fox platform same way. Every Fairmont, LTDII, Granada, Mustang, even Lincoln’s went on a Fox platform. These days a platform lasts 10 years maybe? And if it does last, how much has it been updated and monkeyed with?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Sorry - shouldn’t have highjacked the thread. My bad.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts