Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 515 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanted to share what I made for our cars as we all know how terrible the stock intercooler is. I was seeing over 205 degrees air temps on IAT2 sensor after a quarter mile run. I knew this had to be remedied.

So I made an intercooler using the best core out there made by Garrett turbochargers. I made this intercooler so it will fit in the stock location without any removal of the grill shutters or cruise control. Simply remove stock ic and install new IC. After testing the new IC out the car is an animal in the top end and doesnt fall on its face like before when the computer would pull timing due to high air temps. After a quarter mile pull im only seeing about 130 degrees on IAT2. A huge difference of over 70 degrees!!!!

Here is some pics:

Here is a log of a pull to about 105 mph:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Wow, nice work! So this bolts up to OEM piping as well? Or did you have to modify that?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Connects to stock piping. I made the end tanks from 1/8" aluminum, cut and bent them then welded them onto the Garrett core. This is a completely custom ic design. I made mounting brackets that mount where the stock ic bolted up. It really is a direct fit install with absolutely no modification required.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to mention the throttle response and mid range power is much better now since this IC flows so much better.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I too would be interested in this... Dying for an Intercooler, and though I know CPE is working on one the want is real right now. ANYTHING but stock would be better at this point lol.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I've heard their IC will not fit in the stock location without removing the grill shutter and possibly the active cruise control. To me this was a big deal as I dont want to lose any of those things. Another thing I can tell you is that the core they are using is not as good as the Garrett cores. If you do some research you will find that there is a reason why Roush, Saleen, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ford SVT, GM, McLaren and more choose them for their intercoolers. Garrett cores are hands down better than Treadstone, Bell, and chinese intercooler cores.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From what I've heard their IC will not fit in the stock location without removing the grill shutter and possibly the active cruise control. To me this was a big deal as I dont want to lose any of those things. Another thing I can tell you is that the core they are using is not as good as the Garrett cores. If you do some research you will find that there is a reason why Roush, Saleen, Mercedes-Benz AMG, Ford SVT, GM, McLaren and more choose them for their intercoolers. Garrett cores are hands down better than Treadstone, Bell, and chinese intercooler cores.
I sense you could make some $$ if you're willing to put in the work, I for one would love to throw some money at you for one of these.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm willing just trying not to cause trouble with the forum rules....

I can even install the IC if you're willing to drive to NM.

PM me

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is a picture of the stock core vs the Garrett core. You can see how many more fins there are on the Garrett core which is one reason why it cools so much better.

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
I'll continue my question here are not to crap up your other thread. So mounted I assume it would look something like this:

·
Registered
785 Posts
The sport does not have grill shutters. I don't have adaptive cruise control, so if that space could be used for a larger IC it would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,135 Posts
LINK to Garrett's core sizes. The one darkstar used is rated to 600hp. Core weight only is 13.8lbs.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'll continue my question here are not to crap up your other thread. So mounted I assume it would look something like this:

Pretty similar. I'll post a picture installed on my car.

The sport does not have grill shutters. I don't have adaptive cruise control, so if that space could be used for a larger IC it would be awesome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Yes looks like a bigger core could fit more forward of the bumper, there is no more room for a taller ic core 8" is max.

LINK to Garrett's core sizes. The one darkstar used is rated to 600hp. Core weight only is 13.8lbs.
Garrett way underrates their cores, this core will support more like 800.

1 - 20 of 515 Posts