Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I just picked mine up last Saturday. The only thing I hate is that stinking front license plate bracket covering up 25% or so of the intercooler. Does anyone know of or make something to move it off to the side? The passenger side looks like the only place it would work since there is a small heat exchanger on the drivers side. I'm looking for something like the 2008+ Mitsubishi Lancer Evo's have.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I also do not like how the bracket covers the intercooler. I also unfortunately don't really care how it looks off to the side. So what I think I may do is try to mount the plate by itself to the bumper in the center, it covers very
little if any of the intercooler when the plate is by itself. Might rig up a thin rubber spacer or 2 so the actual plate doesn't contact or scratch the paint.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My sales guy told me that the front bracket is shipped with the car and installed at the dealership, so they order it with all their cars. I don't know if that's correct. I suspect they may want it to display their dorky "advertisement" plate. Since I live in one of the 19 states that don't have a front plate, I made sure it was ordered without it, just to be sure,

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone removed it?

Was going to take mine off, figured two small holes would still look better than the plate. Unscrewed the plate, then saw the plate holder has two more rivets or something. So just put the **** plate back on.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Anyone removed it?

Was going to take mine off, figured two small holes would still look better than the plate. Unscrewed the plate, then saw the plate holder has two more rivets or something. So just put the **** plate back on.
LOL. I did this exact same thing yesterday. Dam it! I was afraid I'd F something up trying to get the rivet things off. Anyone do with success yet?

·
Registered
405 Posts
That feeling when you live in a state that doesnt require front plates and everyone else is bitching about how ugly and hard to remove they are... :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
That feeling when you live in a state that doesnt require front plates and everyone else is bitching about how ugly and hard to remove they are...
The catch is that many dealers routinely order cars with the front bracket (a zero-charge option) and put their own dealer "plate" on. It's also common in areas where nearby states require a front plate. And some people want to display some other organization logo plate. I insisted that they not order it and the face of my car is unblemished.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
The catch is that many dealers routinely order cars with the front bracket (a zero-charge option) and put their own dealer "plate" on. It's also common in areas where nearby states require a front plate. And some people want to display some other organization logo plate. I insisted that they not order it and the face of my car is unblemished.
It comes with the car, and they install it at the dealer, so that isn't a big deal. If you are ordering a car, its easy enough to tell them not to install it. Although states where it is illegal to not have the front plate, some dealerships will tell you the plate must be fastened to the front of the car somehow before leaving the lot. That usually means bring a couple zip ties and connect it, and then pull over shortly after leaving and snip it back off.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It comes with the car, and they install it at the dealer, so that isn't a big deal. If you are ordering a car, its easy enough to tell them not to install it...
That confirms what my dealer told me. He said that if it's ordered it comes in the trunk and is routinely installed as part of prepping the car. I didn't count on that communication getting to the guy in the shop who's performing his routine job. I figured if it wasn't there at all they couldn't install it. I also told them not to put their sticker on the back, and they didn't.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I ordered My 17-Sport and told the salesman I do not want the front plate mounted on my car 6 weeks ago.

I received my car Friday night with the front bracket in my trunk. When a dealership receives a car, they have to do a PDI before selling the vehicle. Put gas and oil in car, software install, test, test drive, license plate brackets etc.

The salesman made sure they did not put the front bracket on. I forgot to ask for them not to put the dealership logo on the car. I pealed it off right in front of him. lol

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also told them not to put their sticker on the back, and they didn't.
I wish I had done this. In the past I've taken dealer stickers off in seconds with a hair dryer and glue remover (Good Gone, etc.) but I found out the hard way when I bought my Sport that this dealer's stickers are so thin and weak that you can't peel them off. Combine this with unusually strong glue and you get an hour or so of taking microscopic pieces off the edges of the sticker until you finally have it all gone. It was taking so long that i had to take a few breaks and let the metal cool off since the "Fusion" letters above the dealer sticker were coming loose. Of course, all the work on the sticker left a little dimple in the paint which nobody else would ever notice, but irritates me almost daily.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Picked mine up in Indiana, they don't put front plates on so mine is in the trunk to this day... I also asked them to take the dealership logo off on the day I picked it up. No argument, they had a porter come up front and peel it off.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My dealer tried to talk me in to keeping my front plate off, just leaving it in the trunk with an IOU from the dealer. He said he never has been pulled over for not having his mounted (Illinois). After reading this, I wish I had listened to him, but I had him put it on for the rare instances where my wife might be driving the car. I don't want her to get pulled over.

Although I actually like the look of the car better with the front plate, I wasn't a fan of the face anyway. I doubt I could feel a performance difference, but now I am curious.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I moved mine up

I bought this new license plate bracket and took off the dealer installed bracket.

I was able to move the plate up with the new bracket high enough where it only slightly covers the intercooler and only slightly covers the grille above. The areas where it does cover don't even look like useful areas anyway because there is plastic behind it. Compared the bulky bracket that came with the car, this is a huge improvement. I haven't driven it yet and I doubt I'll be able to tell any difference, but I can sleep easier at night knowing my intercooler isn't blocked.

Attachments

Reactions: RockinZ28

·
Registered
868 Posts
I bought this new license plate bracket and took off the dealer installed bracket.

I was able to move the plate up with the new bracket high enough where it only slightly covers the intercooler and only slightly covers the grille above. The areas where it does cover don't even look like useful areas anyway because there is plastic behind it. Compared the bulky bracket that came with the car, this is a huge improvement. I haven't driven it yet and I doubt I'll be able to tell any difference, but I can sleep easier at night knowing my intercooler isn't blocked.
How did you mount it to the bumper?

·
Registered
868 Posts
The same holes seem to be giant rivets when you remove the "stock" license plate bracket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In my state we don't have to have a front license plate so I wont have to have my front bumper drilled. I will be putting on a motorized retractable license plate like show n go or along that line.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts