Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed some aftermarket headlights and I am trying to fine tune some of the quirks as they weren't designed for the sport trim. I've read around the forums a bit on this already, but I still have a few questions before I dive into splicing wires and whatnot. Has anyone found a way to provide permanent power to the DRLs? I've seen the options already posted in the ForScan spreadsheets, but the DRLs in the headlights cutout if the engine isn't running. I'm not sure if this is a Ford programming thing with battery drain, or just the aftermarket lights. My hope is that I can fix this with a few lines of code changes rather than hard-wiring a solution.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I installed some aftermarket headlights and I am trying to fine tune some of the quirks as they weren't designed for the sport trim. I've read around the forums a bit on this already, but I still have a few questions before I dive into splicing wires and whatnot. Has anyone found a way to provide permanent power to the DRLs? I've seen the options already posted in the ForScan spreadsheets, but the DRLs in the headlights cutout if the engine isn't running. I'm not sure if this is a Ford programming thing with battery drain, or just the aftermarket lights. My hope is that I can fix this with a few lines of code changes rather than hard-wiring a solution.
Hi Jacob. Yes, to prevent unnecessary battery drain, the DRL's turn off when the vehicle ignition is turned off. In some cases, even when the vehicle is placed in Park (i.e. my MKZ).

Good luck.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yep, my DRL's turn off when in Park.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a safe option to check what each line of code does on the ForScan? I'm assuming there has to be an option in there somewhere for auto cutoff.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Is there a safe option to check what each line of code does on the ForScan? I'm assuming there has to be an option in there somewhere for auto cutoff.
Hi Jacob. I do not know if there is.

However, I would not be quick to assume there would be an option, since Ford would not necessarily provide a coding option which would encourage dead battery warranty claims.

If anyone knows otherwise, I am sure they will jump in.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The only way I can see such an option being coded into the As-Built data configuration would be if there is some location within the worldwide market for these cars (the North America native market, or Europe, where the Mondeo is) that would use a type of headlights that required power to be provided to the DRLs even in Park. I know of no such situation, although I admit I'm not familiar with non-North-America configurations. But that's the only way I can see that being a possibility. Otherwise, like @bbf2530 mentioned, Ford (and any other manufacturer) would most likely minimize the support costs by cutting power under those conditions.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The only way I can see such an option being coded into the As-Built data configuration would be if there is some location within the worldwide market for these cars (the North America native market, or Europe, where the Mondeo is) that would use a type of headlights that required power to be provided to the DRLs even in Park. I know of no such situation, although I admit I'm not familiar with non-North-America configurations. But that's the only way I can see that being a possibility. Otherwise, like @bbf2530 mentioned, Ford (and any other manufacturer) would most likely minimize the support costs by cutting power under those conditions.
Turns out there is an option, just not in the as-built module. In the BdyCM Module configuration you can switch the DRL Conditions from Option A to Option B and it runs the DRLs whenever the car is using accessory power. The halo lights actually were wired into the parking lights, so simply setting the parking lights to run with the DRLs in the same menu solved everything and they work perfectly in auto.

Edit: Not sure what Option B actually does but the lights stay on after the car is locked so nevermind on that being the only thing to get DRLs in park for now

·
Registered
705 Posts
I noticed something this morning. I always remote start my car in the morning. This morning, it was rather dark. The DRL's were on. Usually, it is rather light out, and they do not come on. So, if the light sensor tells the car that it is dark, it will allow the DRL's to come on remote start. Now, what I don't know, yet, is if when I pushed the "Start" button, did the DRL's turn off.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I noticed something this morning. I always remote start my car in the morning. This morning, it was rather dark. The DRL's were on. Usually, it is rather light out, and they do not come on. So, if the light sensor tells the car that it is dark, it will allow the DRL's to come on remote start. Now, what I don't know, yet, is if when I pushed the "Start" button, did the DRL's turn off.
That’s why I thought they were always on, because I saw them on when I remote started it. I also realized tonight after my low beams turn on the DRL’s turn off… the journey continues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts