Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't doubt the bimmer is much more nimble, but I suspect what you are experiencing with the speed is the torque management. The Sport's peak torque is at 3k and it makes pretty respectable numbers below that. The problem is that the car is electronically limited on the launch, so it takes a moment before it lets you have what you're asking for. With a tune that reduces the effect of the TM you can actually brake boost the launch. The stock tune wont let you build any boost until you're moving. I'm on rev. 2 of a custom tune that doesn't even have any boost added yet and it's a HUGE difference from stock. This thing will be an animal when this tune is finished.
That's good information. I hadn't really considered an aftermarket tune. A quick search doesn't seem to reveal very much for this car yet though, but I might be looking wrong; I don't have any experience in that area. Is this just something you are doing yourself, or having done locally?

Launch Control on the 335 is one of my favorite features. I mean, I hardly use it because I'm too old to be drag racing at lights, but when I get to play with it, I enjoy it. Be interesting to see how well it worked on the Fusion once it was possible.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I'm not tall, and I don't have kids, so maybe I'm just looking at the wrong car entirely!
It's a family sedan chassis with a sport engine/trim, which means it's a family sedan first. There are expected sacrifices to be made when going big on the car. If you don't need/want a family sedan, I think there are better options out there.

That being said, I love the quickness and handling of the FuSpo and really have no complaints. Maybe it's because I'm coming from an SUV so my expectations are less... or that I have a Stage 3 tune so the car is running even better than when I got it... or that I didn't get a moon roof so the center of gravity is lower and the car is lighter... but I think it handles great and I think it's just splitting hairs when people are making comparisons.

I like driving the S4, handled great. I wasn't aggressive enough on the test drive to really tell a difference in it being much better than the FuSpo. But because I'm so tall, it felt too much like I was driving a go-kart, so I went with something bigger.

The "track" I go to is Lower Wacker in Chicago at night. 2 lane tunnel with lots of turns, occasional cars, blind corners, etc. I brake launch at the first light and go WOT for as long as I can before easing into some of the sharper turns. The car handles it better than the bat-mobile did in the Dark Night.

Reactions: subrandom

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
That's good information. I hadn't really considered an aftermarket tune. A quick search doesn't seem to reveal very much for this car yet though, but I might be looking wrong; I don't have any experience in that area. Is this just something you are doing yourself, or having done locally?

Launch Control on the 335 is one of my favorite features. I mean, I hardly use it because I'm too old to be drag racing at lights, but when I get to play with it, I enjoy it. Be interesting to see how well it worked on the Fusion once it was possible.
Livernois and Unleashed both have tunes and are reputable Ecoboost tuners. I'm getting a custom datalog tune from a member of the Ecoboost Performance Forum that has a good rep tuning other ecoboost cars. His results are on par with the major tuners, but he does it more as a hobby I think.

·
Registered
80 Posts
0-60 is a worthless benchmark, whats more important is the 1/4 mile times and the mph. The BMW is running 106-108mph which is quite a bit faster than the FFS. The FFS is heavy compared to the 340i and the 8 spd. auto in the BMW is a gem. You need to go drive one and see how that thing bangs gears.

Dave

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
0-60 is a worthless benchmark, whats more important is the 1/4 mile times and the mph. The BMW is running 106-108mph which is quite a bit faster than the FFS. The FFS is heavy compared to the 340i and the 8 spd. auto in the BMW is a gem. You need to go drive one and see how that thing bangs gears.

Dave
0-60 is only worthless if you don't value it as a benchmark. If you are a quarter mile racer, than obviously that is the benchmark you would value most. If you are into hypercars, then the full mile might be the only thing you care to look at. If you are a stoplight racer, 0-60 is a good bench to go by. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that; YOUR opinion. I have no idea why trap speed in the quarter should be any more important than any other measure of speed.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Dave
0-60 is only worthless if you don't value it as a benchmark. If you are a quarter mile racer, than obviously that is the benchmark you would value most. If you are into hypercars, then the full mile might be the only thing you care to look at. If you are a stoplight racer, 0-60 is a good bench to go by. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that; YOUR opinion. I have no idea why trap speed in the quarter should be any more important than any other measure of speed.
I have to agree with BOT here. I don't care much about 1/4 mile results because I don't drag race. The only thing I do is have fun on the streets. So either its messing with someone at a light, or just accelerating hard entering the freeway or something like that. All I really care about is getting to freeway speed, yeah the rest of it is nice too and its nice to know what types of numbers people are putting up, but I don't really care about any of the numbers as long as I am happy driving the car and don't have issues getting to speed or passing someone.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have to agree with BOT here. I don't care much about 1/4 mile results because I don't drag race. The only thing I do is have fun on the streets. So either its messing with someone at a light, or just accelerating hard entering the freeway or something like that. All I really care about is getting to freeway speed, yeah the rest of it is nice too and its nice to know what types of numbers people are putting up, but I don't really care about any of the numbers as long as I am happy driving the car and don't have issues getting to speed or passing someone.
Ditto.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The 5-60 mph rollout is probably more important to me. I rarely do pulls from stop, mostly just like the feeling of punching it from corner to corner, or blasting the 3 mile, winding farm road the back way home. The GTO is wonderful for this, just pulls like syrup from 3500 rpm to 6000. I'm hoping that, when the weather clears up a bit, I can have the same kind of fun with the FS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Guys I definitely see your point, but I have driven both the 340i and the FFS and the 340i feels much faster, mainly because of the tranny. The way the tranny just bangs shifts and you get to 60 so quickly with either car that its after 60 that you really feel the power. Don't get me wrong I love the FFS, I just wish they put a proper tranny in the car. The BMW is at a minimum $14k more than a base FFS, if it wasn't I would get that. They lease pretty well and the biggy..you can get a 6MT still.

dave

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just realized I understand the comparison vs. the 340i, but the real performance twin of the BMW and the Ford is the 330i, which can be had for quite a bit less money than the 340i. However, its not quite as quick as the Ford and after 100mph it gets its ass kicked.

Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think we would all agree that the tranny in the BMW is better. American manufacturers have lacked in this area for sometime, but look to be catching back up. Tuning of the transmission is also an issue in the Fusion. It could have been set to shift better.

I still don't get the comparison between a 3 series and the fusion. They are very different sized cars. I believe the fusion is a good 8 inches longer. Making it heavier.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I think we would all agree that the tranny in the BMW is better. American manufacturers have lacked in this area for sometime, but look to be catching back up. Tuning of the transmission is also an issue in the Fusion. It could have been set to shift better.

I still don't get the comparison between a 3 series and the fusion. They are very different sized cars. I believe the fusion is a good 8 inches longer. Making it heavier.
all transmissions suck.. thats how i feel lol

81 - 92 of 92 Posts