Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
He/she is speaking for himself!!!

But I couldn't agree more. And I'll speak for all who chose the Sport over the 2.0. The Sport is a significantly quicker car than the 2.0, handles better, looks better, and for no where near significantly more money. And that's the bottom line. That's why he didn't buy a 2.0.

Most of us feel the Sport could be more, but honestly every car could be more. For now the Sport is what it is, and that's a great car. For those who feel that isn't enough, then go elsewhere. And just because we're happy with our Sports doesn't mean we don't look forward to more performance.
Statement below claims "it is almost impossible to do a 0-60 run in real world driving". He/she certainly was not discussing how much he/she cared about 0-60 times, he/she was discussing why others should not be dissappointed about "1/2 a second", based solely on their own lack of ability to drive 0-60. So no, he/she was not speaking for themselves.

My point was if he can tell me not to care about a certain performance level, I can suggest the same thing to them. It was rhetorical, aimed at anyone who is complaining about those of us who are expressing disappointment.

It is funny how much emphasis we're all putting on a half second of 0-60 time, when it's almost impossible to do a 0-60 run in real world driving.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
i personally have no trouble running a 0-60 where i live, but its not the 0-60 run itself that i am concerned about. Its what the 0-60 represents that i care about, which is a measure of acceleration. Obviously we all want ours to be the fastest car available, but that is never going to be the case unless you have a top fuel dragster. That being said, even the 2.0 would have been considered quite the speed demon in the hayday of muscle cars when a new GTO ran in the 7s.

When it comes down to it, tho, i have to remind myself that my grocery getting, fuel sipping family sedan would run circles around any muscle car made in the 60s or 70s, and most of them in the 80s and 90s.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Speak for yourself, commute is plenty of empty back roads with 50 or 55 MPH speed limit.
Why did you buy a sport instead of a 2.0 AWD?
Let me clarify: I wasn't trying to say "nobody can do a 0-60 run in the real world so why bother worrying about it?" 0-60 is simply one measure of performance, and a 0-60 time that is a half second slower than expected should not be enough to spoil a car that you otherwise love to drive, and I do my Sport. I was clear that I don't find the acceleration performance issues to be irrelevant; you just have to consider the whole car and how you are likely to be driving it.

To answer your question, I got a Sport instead of a 2.0 AWD for the same reasons most people make that choice: The Sport is faster and it handles better.

·
Registered
215 Posts
One more thing: It was not my intention to call out or poke fun at people for caring about 0-60; I was simply offering some perspective from the viewpoint of someone who bought a Sport, has enjoyed it thoroughly, and only after that came across the disappointing 0-60 numbers. If anything, I was poking a little fun at myself for getting would up about it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would like to thank you first adopters out there ... You guys are sorting all of this out so that by the time I get one, it will all be dialed in with a good tune, etc
😉 Also, the way the current owners talk about their cars really makes me want one!!! Glad you guys are having so much fun with them out there. Lastly..in addition to perhaps chocking the engines digitally, I am starting to really be convinced that the lower than expected acceleration is due to weight! I've never read any press where Ford quoted acceleration times- they just continually pushed the torque and horsepower. They simply neglected to mention that with all that additional weight due to more sound deadening, turbo hardware, bigger v6, exhaust, and the most complex suspension they've put in a car ever, second to only the mighty GT350, that it may not post 0-60 times of high 4's we would expect if the same engine shoe-horned into a 2016 titanium. They kinda did the same thing with the 2015 Mustang on a smaller basis. It's one of the few things that makes sense. It's a very different car from a previous 2.0.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
One more thing: It was not my intention to call out or poke fun at people for caring about 0-60; I was simply offering some perspective from the viewpoint of someone who bought a Sport, has enjoyed it thoroughly, and only after that came across the disappointing 0-60 numbers. If anything, I was poking a little fun at myself for getting would up about it.
If I had bought one already, I would be a bit miffed that two other vehicles with the same engine perform so much better
(vs their weight). Maybe it is detuned. I can tell you the throttle response on the womans 14, 2.0 AWD escape, is 100 times better than
my 15 AWD fusion. Otherwise, they are almost identical with same engine/drivetrain and almost identical gearing and weight. It's possible
they detuned it for the fusion, figuring the average sedan buyer prefers "softer" overall, vs the average truck buyer. If someone does fix it
with a tune and turn it into the monster we thought it was going to be, it would be a tough sell for me, as I refuse to give up my warantee
just for a tune.

That said, glad you are enjoying the car. If I didn't have the 15 fusion, I may have considered it anyway even with the shortcomings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
He/she is speaking for himself!!!

But I couldn't agree more. And I'll speak for all who chose the Sport over the 2.0. The Sport is a significantly quicker car than the 2.0, handles better, looks better, and for no where near significantly more money. And that's the bottom line. That's why he didn't buy a 2.0.

Most of us feel the Sport could be more, but honestly every car could be more. For now the Sport is what it is, and that's a great car. For those who feel that isn't enough, then go elsewhere. And just because we're happy with our Sports doesn't mean we don't look forward to more performance.
Well said!

·
Registered
447 Posts
its funny how every car forum is the same.. when a new car comes out folks get excited then get disappointed cause they want more.. no matter how fast or string the car is they want it faster !!!

go on EVO forums and they talk about what wrong with the ego
go on STI forums and they talk about whats wring with it and why its not fast enough lol
go on BMW forums same thing they are all comparing about where the manufacturer shorted them etc..lol

real word on the road the FF sport can hang with a lot of cars that cost almost more money and that in itself is cool.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Ok,ok,ok. Look I agree that someone in Ford marketing my have gotten their pants wet when they were told the Fusion Sports HP and torque numbers. Let's not forget that most of us on this forum did as well. Should they have tried to compare it to the BMW? Probably not. These are marketers, salesman, people who are paid to promote the car. Not car guys/gals. Let's just get over it. The Sport is an excellent car. It is not nor should it be compared to a car that costs tens of thousands more. Although some here seem/claim to be cross shopping these cars, 99% of the car buying public wouldn't even consider it. If one more person says "but Ford told me to compare them", and uses that for a reason why the car sucks...... Come on people. If you want to tell me how the Accord, Camry, Maxima or such are better, than great. These could be valid points, criticisms. I too expected more from the Sport in say 0-60 for example. I don't want this forum to just be showering the Sport with accolades but let's be real.
Completely agree.

I traded up from a 2011 Buick Regal GS with a Trifecta tune. I believe this was a fair cross shop as well.
In my humble opinion when cross shopping a new vehicle... a 4-5 k price differential is acceptable.

Anything more than that is a completely different class of car regardless of 0-60 times. Another 5-6 hundred
and a packing a tune. I will be more than happy to drive my sleeper. BMW/Audi = prick?

Sorry guys, but now I have to post the old classic BMW joke - don't shoot me.

Q: What's the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

A: A porcupine has its pricks on the outside.:D

Reactions: D&D

·
Registered
6 Posts
So, I found this board while looking up information on the Fusion Sport. I just want to add this in here, since there was a lot of comparison to the BWM.

Currently running a BMW 335 xDrive. Lease is up. Considering moving to the 340i xDrive, but the Fusion Sport caught my attention so I drove one.

My impression of the big differences:

1. The Ford was much better equipped at a lower price point ($38.8k out the door, every option checked except like, storage organizers and stuff)

2. The Fusion accelerated nicely, but handled poorly vs. the BMW; it's heavy, and you can feel the heavy in every quick movement. It just isn't as nimble as the BMW, and the steering is kind of dead.

3. The BMW was faster. Faster from a stop. Faster being punched on the highway. It's partly the weight of the Fusion, but more than that I think it's because the Fusion's max torque comes so high in the RPM range. The 335 is delivering max torque at like 1200 RPM. As soon as you touch the gas, it's there. The Fusion has to wind up to it, which hurts it's response time.

4. I don't know that it is, but it FEELS like the Fusion is mostly running FWD, only engaging AWD when it slips. At the very least, it's heavily FWD-biased. This is probably fine if you're normally a FWD driver, but it was a little off putting coming from the BWM.

I might still buy it. I'm at a crossroads. The speed really isn't that important to me, but I do like the balance and agility of the BMW. OTOH, CarPlay, remote start, active cruise, and all that other stuff is either unavailable in the BMW entirely, or very, very expensive.

I'd love to find someone who made the switch and see what they felt about the choice. My local dealer thought I was crazy.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
So, I found this board while looking up information on the Fusion Sport. I just want to add this in here, since there was a lot of comparison to the BWM.

Currently running a BMW 335 xDrive. Lease is up. Considering moving to the 340i xDrive, but the Fusion Sport caught my attention so I drove one.

My impression of the big differences:

1. The Ford was much better equipped at a lower price point ($38.8k out the door, every option checked except like, storage organizers and stuff)

2. The Fusion accelerated nicely, but handled poorly vs. the BMW; it's heavy, and you can feel the heavy in every quick movement. It just isn't as nimble as the BMW, and the steering is kind of dead.

3. The BMW was faster. Faster from a stop. Faster being punched on the highway. It's partly the weight of the Fusion, but more than that I think it's because the Fusion's max torque comes so high in the RPM range. The 335 is delivering max torque at like 1200 RPM. As soon as you touch the gas, it's there. The Fusion has to wind up to it, which hurts it's response time.

4. I don't know that it is, but it FEELS like the Fusion is mostly running FWD, only engaging AWD when it slips. At the very least, it's heavily FWD-biased. This is probably fine if you're normally a FWD driver, but it was a little off putting coming from the BWM.

I might still buy it. I'm at a crossroads. The speed really isn't that important to me, but I do like the balance and agility of the BMW. OTOH, CarPlay, remote start, active cruise, and all that other stuff is either unavailable in the BMW entirely, or very, very expensive.

I'd love to find someone who made the switch and see what they felt about the choice. My local dealer thought I was crazy.
I don't doubt the bimmer is much more nimble, but I suspect what you are experiencing with the speed is the torque management. The Sport's peak torque is at 3k and it makes pretty respectable numbers below that. The problem is that the car is electronically limited on the launch, so it takes a moment before it lets you have what you're asking for. With a tune that reduces the effect of the TM you can actually brake boost the launch. The stock tune wont let you build any boost until you're moving. I'm on rev. 2 of a custom tune that doesn't even have any boost added yet and it's a HUGE difference from stock. This thing will be an animal when this tune is finished.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think you've made an accurate overall assessment. I never drove the 340i, but I did drive a new Audi A4 several times before going with the Fusion Sport. In the end the comparison was similar to how you've framed it: The Fusion just gives you a ton for the money, and that was enough for me to overlook the things that the A4 had for $10K+ more.

Regarding the comment above: I think this might be more of a "feel" thing than how the AWD system is actually working. You can call up a display of how the AWD system is working in the left instrument cluster screen. This shows that the Fusion Sport sends power to the rear wheels even under moderate acceleration. Under normal driving it's often sending half the power to the rear wheel under conditions that could not have induced any wheel slippage. In short, this isn't a "slip and grip" system; they seem to have set it up to engage based on the throttle rather than wheel slippage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Now that some used FS are starting to come on the market, you can buy a 10,000 mile FuSP for $32-34k, vs a 10k Golf R for $39k without lane departure (not available) vs a $43 S3 or a $46 S4. At best, that's almost $14k difference for the same basic package AND true cost to own suggests the difference will balloon to $23k over 5 years. Yeah, the S4 is a LOT more hard-core and will eat an untuned FS for lunch, but at almost 80% more cost over 5 years it's in a completely different category!

Yeah, I've almost convinced myself. Question is, will I be happy enough to sell the GTO, or will I want to hold onto both?

·
Registered
400 Posts
A lot of comparisons are being made with the Audi A4 and the BMW 3-series, with the FuSpo falling behind because it's heavier, less nimble, etc. I don't think that is a fair comparison though. A4 and 3 series are compact cars. Fusion is a mid-size car. Of course the compact cars are lighter on their feet and handle better.

A more accurate comparison would be with an A6. Similar size and weight. I've never driven an A6, but the numbers would suggest it would out perform the FuSpo (at least with a stock tune), but now we are talking more than a $20k+ difference after comparable options.

I would have paid more for an A4, I loved driving it. But I am tall and have kids. I wanted good head and leg room, a large back seat, and large trunk. The A4 didn't have all that. The A6 was better sized but more expensive.

If I had gone with a smaller car, I'd be driving my wife's car more often when I have the kids or hauling stuff. Ford did well, because I get to drive a "fun car" all the time.

Reactions: D&D

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought either the first or near the first FuSpo in DFW relying on FMC marketing hype and articles in the media. I had a 2015 Fusion SE with the 2.0 Ecoboost previously. I was unhappy with the new car for a number of reasons and after about 4 months decided to fix the car to my wants rather than take the big depreciation hit. I'll be happy when the suspension and engine aftermarket comes alive. cockerdogs

·
Registered
176 Posts
I don't think the lower performance we're seeing is due to lack of ability. I'm starting to think that the ECU is doing a lot of it intentionally. I've been able to stretch it's legs a few times, and a lot of the time it feels like it's sandbagging itself with the torque management. I predict your hope will be fulfilled with an ECU flash.

I need to do some digging in the SHO forums to see if they had any of these issues over there. The sport seems to be a mini version of the SHO with a lot of shared bits.
Turn the anti skid control off, this will disable the torque control and use S mode without the paddles, it comes to life just fine ;)

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Turn the anti skid control off, this will disable the torque control and use S mode without the paddles, it comes to life just fine ;)
You can't turn off the skid control, but you can turn off traction control. However, it still doesn't disable the torque management. You need a tune to do that, and even then most tuners don't disable it. They just reduce it's effect.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can't turn off the skid control, but you can turn off traction control. However, it still doesn't disable the torque management. You need a tune to do that, and even then most tuners don't disable it. They just reduce it's effect.
Your right, my bad, it was traction control, not skid control :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
A lot of comparisons are being made with the Audi A4 and the BMW 3-series, with the FuSpo falling behind because it's heavier, less nimble, etc. I don't think that is a fair comparison though. A4 and 3 series are compact cars. Fusion is a mid-size car. Of course the compact cars are lighter on their feet and handle better.

A more accurate comparison would be with an A6. Similar size and weight. I've never driven an A6, but the numbers would suggest it would out perform the FuSpo (at least with a stock tune), but now we are talking more than a $20k+ difference after comparable options.

I would have paid more for an A4, I loved driving it. But I am tall and have kids. I wanted good head and leg room, a large back seat, and large trunk. The A4 didn't have all that. The A6 was better sized but more expensive.

If I had gone with a smaller car, I'd be driving my wife's car more often when I have the kids or hauling stuff. Ford did well, because I get to drive a "fun car" all the time.
I dont' disagree with that, but my experience is that even the BMW 535 feels more responsive and quick on it's feet (at least, the newer versions) than the FuSpo, although the difference is less pronounced for sure. And maybe that's where the difference will be for me. I'm not tall, and I don't have kids, so maybe I'm just looking at the wrong car entirely!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts