Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Someone on here said they had it weighed.

But someone also said, their dealer gave them a document stating it was in the 3,800ish range
Certified scale of 4180 with full tank and baby seat. Not sure how much gas is considered with typical curb weight,
but I knocked off 80 lbs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Wow, that is a heavy car. For comparison the S3 is 3700#... That certainly starts to explain the 0-60, isn't it 0.1 seconds for every 100#?

So, I wonder if the Lincoln MKZ which is listed at 4100# will actually spec out at 4400?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Jeez - thats Dodge Charger territory!
Well let's think about it. If you're talking about the r/t, yes the Sports dimensions are a bit smaller and there's two less cylinders. But we're adding all wheel drive, two turbos, intercooler, more tech most likely, more sophisticated suspension. I would expect more sound proofing. maybe heavier wheels. And we're comparing the weight of a "civilian" car to a manufacturers "official" weight. I agree it's not slight, but it sure handles a lot better than said charger. Yes weight is a factor in it's to be determined track times. Just like a lot of the cars attributes us owners are enjoying are a factor in it's weight. I personally am not concerned what it's weight is. It is what it is. Maybe I'm a chubby chaser, I sure do like it's curves.:D

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well let's think about it. If you're talking about the r/t, yes the Sports dimensions are a bit smaller and there's two less cylinders. But we're adding all wheel drive, two turbos, intercooler, more tech most likely, more sophisticated suspension. I would expect more sound proofing. maybe heavier wheels. And we're comparing the weight of a "civilian" car to a manufacturers "official" weight. I agree it's not slight, but it sure handles a lot better than said charger. Yes weight is a factor in it's to be determined track times. Just like a lot of the cars attributes us owners are enjoying are a factor in it's weight. I personally am not concerned what it's weight is. It is what it is. Maybe I'm a chubby chaser, I sure do like it's curves.:D
I bet it probably still feels much more agile than the Charger.

·
Registered
529 Posts
At the end of the day, how many of us are actually going to be tracking or racing the car? Most of us will be tooling around town or sitting in rush hour traffic, picking up groceries, dropping kids off at sports and school. I suspect the weight penalty over the 2.0 comes from the suspension, exhaust, engine, sound proofing, and whatever other options you throw on it.

I'm just happy FoMoCo finally gave us a Fusion with some nuts. Honestly, I am more thrilled with the LED running lights and headlights... I mean, those old halogen projects were a hot poopy mess :nerd:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I will most likely track my Sport. But mainly to see what she does stock and with a tune. I won't be running her every time I make a change. Maybe a later run with pipes.
I guess my point was, it's not a dedicated race car... it's a daily driver for almost all buyers. I too, at some point will track my car, but more for the pure enjoyment of tracking a car.

I will be curious to see the difference after a tune and some bolt ons

·
Registered
215 Posts
At the end of the day, how many of us are actually going to be tracking or racing the car? Most of us will be tooling around town or sitting in rush hour traffic, picking up groceries, dropping kids off at sports and school. I suspect the weight penalty over the 2.0 comes from the suspension, exhaust, engine, sound proofing, and whatever other options you throw on it.

I'm just happy FoMoCo finally gave us a Fusion with some nuts. Honestly, I am more thrilled with the LED running lights and headlights... I mean, those old halogen projects were a hot poopy mess :nerd:
It is funny how much emphasis we're all putting on a half second of 0-60 time, when it's almost impossible to do a 0-60 run in real world driving. Every time I drive my Sport I have the intention of testing the acceleration just to see if things are changing with more break in and more time with 93 octane, and at least half the time I can't do anything of the sort, since I'm just running errands like everyone else, never having more than 50 feet of room to try anything. I was initially bummed out to see the disappointing performance numbers posted, but I had to remind myself that I absolutely loved the car up to that point, and was convinced to abandon the new Audi A4 that I was about to buy after driving the Sport once.

That said, I am watching the performance issue closely as I do think there is the potential that Ford isn't playing it straight. If nothing changes I still will not regret my purchase, but we should be holding their feet to the fire for setting a certain expectation for this car and not delivering on it. Here's to hoping we all get a nice ECU flash and this all goes away.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I drive 20 minutes on winding country roads to work, spend at least 2 hours a week during the summer driving super windy roads with bumps and no police. I want a car that feels more nimble than the GTO but puts the same smile on my face every time I pull away from a corner. The GTO was 0-60 in 4,9 stock, with bolt ons and a tune it's probably closer to 4.5. But I need an auto so my wife can drive it, a suspension that doesn't kill me on frost heaves, less noise and AWD for winter. That's what I'm looking for and if the Fusion can't do it, then it's not going to be on the list.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I drive 20 minutes on winding country roads to work, spend at least 2 hours a week during the summer driving super windy roads with bumps and no police. I want a car that feels more nimble than the GTO but puts the same smile on my face every time I pull away from a corner. The GTO was 0-60 in 4,9 stock, with bolt ons and a tune it's probably closer to 4.5. But I need an auto so my wife can drive it, a suspension that doesn't kill me on frost heaves, less noise and AWD for winter. That's what I'm looking for and if the Fusion can't do it, then it's not going to be on the list.
Sounds exactly like the fusion. The 4.9 0-60 can happen on a good day, but its probably closer to mid to low 5s dependably. It does pull hard out of corners, but you will not get any form of drifting if that's what you're after, since you cant turn stability control off.

Its probably cheaper to get the Sport to go faster than the Goat, since it the ecoboosts respond so well to minor ugrades.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
It is funny how much emphasis we're all putting on a half second of 0-60 time, when it's almost impossible to do a 0-60 run in real world driving. Every time I drive my Sport I have the intention of testing the acceleration just to see if things are changing with more break in and more time with 93 octane, and at least half the time I can't do anything of the sort, since I'm just running errands like everyone else, never having more than 50 feet of room to try anything. I was initially bummed out to see the disappointing performance numbers posted, but I had to remind myself that I absolutely loved the car up to that point, and was convinced to abandon the new Audi A4 that I was about to buy after driving the Sport once.

That said, I am watching the performance issue closely as I do think there is the potential that Ford isn't playing it straight. If nothing changes I still will not regret my purchase, but we should be holding their feet to the fire for setting a certain expectation for this car and not delivering on it. Here's to hoping we all get a nice ECU flash and this all goes away.
I don't think the lower performance we're seeing is due to lack of ability. I'm starting to think that the ECU is doing a lot of it intentionally. I've been able to stretch it's legs a few times, and a lot of the time it feels like it's sandbagging itself with the torque management. I predict your hope will be fulfilled with an ECU flash.

I need to do some digging in the SHO forums to see if they had any of these issues over there. The sport seems to be a mini version of the SHO with a lot of shared bits.

·
Registered
529 Posts
IMO, the Fusion will fulfill your desires nicely. The one thing it won't have is melt your face off accelerations, rather it will be controlled and smooth. I've had a chance to take this on some nice back country roads that offered twisty repeated s-turns as well as plenty of elevation change. Coming in and out of corners is great, especially considering you can maintain speed. The more challenging downhill turns with and uphill exit didn't even phase the car.

This truly is a sport touring car with plenty of power. Put her in a straight line drag race, it's going to probably get beat by a few other sedans in the segment.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

Speak for yourself, commute is plenty of empty back roads with 50 or 55 MPH speed limit.
Why did you buy a sport instead of a 2.0 AWD?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I don't think the lower performance we're seeing is due to lack of ability. I'm starting to think that the ECU is doing a lot of it intentionally. I've been able to stretch it's legs a few times, and a lot of the time it feels like it's sandbagging itself with the torque management. I predict your hope will be fulfilled with an ECU flash.
I've got the same suspicions... Sometimes I'm hitting the gogo pedal thinking "I know you've got more in there". I wonder if they tuned it this way to protect it? Maybe they want to get some real world feedback, almost like a beta test if you will.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
I've got the same suspicions... Sometimes I'm hitting the gogo pedal thinking "I know you've got more in there". I wonder if they tuned it this way to protect it? Maybe they want to get some real world feedback, almost like a beta test if you will.
I'm thinking about adding a boost gauge so I can monitor if it's cutting boost anywhere.

Is there any other way one might be able to tell if it's throttling it own performance?

·
Registered
215 Posts

I need to do some digging in the SHO forums to see if they had any of these issues over there. The sport seems to be a mini version of the SHO with a lot of shared bits.
Agreed. There is a certain inconsistency with the performance that seems to lend itself to the digital sandbagging you refer to as opposed to some overall deficiency in the powertrain. Even in a 4000 lb. car, this much torque should be making its presence felt more often than it does.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm thinking about adding a boost gauge so I can monitor if it's cutting boost anywhere.

Is there any other way one might be able to tell if it's throttling it own performance?
Might be able to find some ODB2 software that can monitor boost/torque/HP as you run it through some punishment

·
Registered
624 Posts
Speak for yourself, commute is plenty of empty back roads with 50 or 55 MPH speed limit.
Why did you buy a sport instead of a 2.0 AWD?
He/she is speaking for himself!!!

But I couldn't agree more. And I'll speak for all who chose the Sport over the 2.0. The Sport is a significantly quicker car than the 2.0, handles better, looks better, and for no where near significantly more money. And that's the bottom line. That's why he didn't buy a 2.0.

Most of us feel the Sport could be more, but honestly every car could be more. For now the Sport is what it is, and that's a great car. For those who feel that isn't enough, then go elsewhere. And just because we're happy with our Sports doesn't mean we don't look forward to more performance.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts