Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like an odd accessory, but I really would like the bump sensor to go along with the factory alarm.

Does anyone have any experience with installing Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus
(Part #: KN1Z19A361A)? It sounds like I just need to connect it to OBD2 (remove the current wire from the ODB2 port, and put the new wire/module in between), but when I ask the dealer I get dumb or idk responses.
Our cars already come with remote start, so I don't think I need to do anything with IDS/ForScan to enable anything, and should just need to plug it in.

I would like to understand how to precede before I buy anything. Hoping someone else on FFS Forum has already installed one and can give advice. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
I have one in my 2018 XLT and it is the same VSS module as the Fusion, if not very similar. There are also aftermarket knock-off clones. It basically installs inline with the OBD2 connector but it won't be apparent until you take apart the paneling. So your OBD2 connector remains in place, but the VSS harness goes between that connector and the vehicle harness.

The VSS actually enables a lot of the remote start HVAC stuff in the BCM/IPC from what I recall. I went to enable them in my 2018 Explorer and found the VSS enabled most of them. I mainly installed it in my 2018 Explorer to have remote start via the fob and found out that the HVAC system is automatic even though I have the manual system (there's a preset temp like the auto HVAC systems). It also adds the 2 stage shock sensor. Because my Explorer fob did not have the remote start button, I use Lock Unlock Lock to remote start. The aftermarket VSS clones are also available in Lock Lock Lock as well.

The way the 2 stage shock sensor works is you turn the potentiometer on the VSS to adjust sensitivity. The VSS has to be strapped to a solid part of the vehicle. I used the steering column brace. When I lift my wipers and let them slap back into place with the doors locked, it will set off a horn beep to indicate stage 1. I've actually slapped my wipers hard enough one time that it set off the alarm.

Loud thunder during the recent storms we had also set off my shock sensor alarm. Kicking my tire also sets off stage 1. This is a fairly decent sensitivity level IMHO for me.

Installation was less than 30 minutes in the frigid winter of Michigan during February, so I imagine if you did it in your driveway in the summer it won't be as bad.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This may sound like an odd accessory, but I really would like the bump sensor to go along with the factory alarm.

Does anyone have any experience with installing Vehicle Security System - Ford Perimeter Plus
(Part #: KN1Z19A361A)? It sounds like I just need to connect it to OBD2 (remove the current wire from the ODB2 port, and put the new wire/module in between), but when I ask the dealer I get dumb or idk responses.
Our cars already come with remote start, so I don't think I need to do anything with IDS/ForScan to enable anything, and should just need to plug it in.

I would like to understand how to precede before I buy anything. Hoping someone else on FFS Forum has already installed one and can give advice. Thanks in advance.
Hi @BlueDust !

I don't remember the value, but I do remember seeing something in ForScan specifically for the bump sensor. If I remember correctly it was in the BCM, but I might have the module wrong. I remember seeing that setting though, when I was digging through ForScan stuff a while back. I don't have the part so I didn't enable it on mine.

Reactions: BlueDust

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have one in my 2018 XLT and it is the same VSS module as the Fusion, if not very similar. There are also aftermarket knock-off clones. It basically installs inline with the OBD2 connector but it won't be apparent until you take apart the paneling. So your OBD2 connector remains in place, but the VSS harness goes between that connector and the vehicle harness.

The VSS actually enables a lot of the remote start HVAC stuff in the BCM/IPC from what I recall. I went to enable them in my 2018 Explorer and found the VSS enabled most of them. I mainly installed it in my 2018 Explorer to have remote start via the fob and found out that the HVAC system is automatic even though I have the manual system (there's a preset temp like the auto HVAC systems). It also adds the 2 stage shock sensor.

The way the 2 stage shock sensor works is you turn the potentiometer on the VSS to adjust sensitivity. The VSS has to be strapped to a solid part of the vehicle. I used the steering column brace. When I lift my wipers and let them slap back into place with the doors locked, it will set off a horn beep to indicate stage 1. I've actually slapped my wipers hard enough one time that it set off the alarm.

Loud thunder during the recent storms we had also set off my shock sensor alarm. Kicking my tire also sets off stage 1. This is a fairly decent sensitivity level IMHO for me.

Installation was less than 30 minutes in the frigid winter of Michigan during February, so I imagine if you did it in your driveway in the summer it won't be as bad.
Good Stuff!

Did you have to use ForScan (dealer tools) to enable anything or did it all "just work" after plugging it in? From the description, I should only need to modify settings (refers to dealer) if I enable remote start functions. I obviously don't think I need to do that as the car already has remote start.... And trying to confirm.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @BlueDust !

I don't remember the value, but I do remember seeing something in ForScan specifically for the bump sensor. If I remember correctly it was in the BCM, but I might have the module wrong. I remember seeing that setting though, when I was digging through ForScan stuff a while back. I don't have the part so I didn't enable it on mine.
Yeah...
It makes me just want to buy it, plug it in and see what happens. Open up ForScan only if needed to fix something after the fax.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Good Stuff!

Did you have to use ForScan (dealer tools) to enable anything or did it all "just work" after plugging it in? From the description, I should only need to modify settings (refers to dealer) if I enable remote start functions. I obviously don't think I need to do that as the car already has remote start.... And trying to confirm.
Yes I had to go in and make some tweaks for the remote start stuff and HVAC stuff (rear defroster, defroster, etc...) but if you already have factory remote start I think you can use the VSS jumper to disable the VSS remote start. Remember that my 2018 Explorer XLT is bare bones (only option was the tow package) so no remote start, no automatic HVAC, no heated steering/seats, no cooled seats, etc...

But the shock sensor is built into the VSS itself and not controlled via the PCM/BCM/IPC so Forscan is not needed for the shock sensor stuff. The VSS has to be strapped/mounted to a solid part of the vehicle for it to detect the shock/vibrations.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I had to go in and make some tweaks for the remote start stuff and HVAC stuff (rear defroster, defroster, etc...) but if you already have factory remote start I think you can use the VSS jumper to disable the VSS remote start. Remember that my 2018 Explorer XLT is bare bones (only option was the tow package) so no remote start, no automatic HVAC, no heated steering/seats, no cooled seats, etc...

But the shock sensor is built into the VSS itself and not controlled via the PCM/BCM/IPC so Forscan is not needed for the shock sensor stuff. The VSS has to be strapped/mounted to a solid part of the vehicle for it to detect the shock/vibrations.
This appears I shouldn't need to do anything extra, and more reason to just install it and see what happens. Sort of fix it only if it is broken, and not a part of the planned install process.
Thanks!

Reactions: Engineer
1 - 7 of 7 Posts