Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was time for a new car. I really wanted to go American. I had been researching the 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, it had my attention. I rent cars every week for my job, and knew I hated the Sync systems Fusions had in them. I researched the Sync 3 system, and found it to be a great update. 5 months after owning the car, I still think it is great. I had been trying for months to get the Ford Pass app to work on my phone with the car with no luck. The local Ford dealer gave me a staff member to help and we still could not get it to work. They doubled checked that I had the 401A upgrade which they believed to be necessary for Ford Pass to work. I finally contacted Ford directly and they told me that my vehicle did not include the modem, which is necessary for 2-way communication with Ford Pass. It appears that one would have to order the $1600 Sport Driver Assist Package to get Ford Pass to function. To my knowledge that package was primary for the delivery of the BLIS (Blind Spot Info System). In reading the details I do see it includes the Sync Connect, which appears to contain the missing Modem. This summer I remember reading that Sync 3 provided Ford Pass capabilities. Based upon my own investigation this week, it appears that not many dealers actually know that Sync 3 by itself is not enough! I had to go through a # of Ford Customer service agents till I got one that understood the details. Anyway, I was told there was nothing Ford was able to do for me. Though I would save everyone on this forum some time and frustration with this information.:

·
Registered
491 Posts
This came up and was confirmed a few months ago. I posted something a few days ago(cannot find it) about Ford offering an add on modem option but it was not for the Sport as of yet.

I would think that if they are able to offer it for other vehicle models then it should be offered for the Sport at some point.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, this was very poor marketing / communication regarding the Ford pass. As you pointed out, I think Sync connect is the missing link, but when it is not stated in any of the literature what sync connect is, coupled with lots of literature saying Ford pass works with Sync 3, you end up with a lot of misinformed customers and salesman. They absolutely should have just listed ford pass on the package, not sync connect. This would have made it obvious what car is and isn't compatible with Ford pass. Dumb.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yeah, I was at first confused by this, but after looking at it long enough realized that Sync Connect was the required option to get Ford pass app to work. I've been 6 months without it and really I don't find myself missing any of the driver assist options other than maybe the 110v outlet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since I upgraded my Sync 3. I still need to connect a USB cable to make connect with my GPS with other soft ware on my phone like WAZE. I just hope that everything build in together and just used blu tooth connection.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah, I was at first confused by this, but after looking at it long enough realized that Sync Connect was the required option to get Ford pass app to work. I've been 6 months without it and really I don't find myself missing any of the driver assist options other than maybe the 110v outlet.
110v outlet? Where is that? I have every option possible and I've never noticed an outlet.

·
Registered
583 Posts
On the rear of the center console. Below the rear seat AC Vents

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My Fusion has it as well but I also have the Driver Assist Package. My 2018 Explorer XLT does not have it, and I looked into what was involved in a retrofit. The actual inverter sits in the A-pillar kickpanel area at the front passenger side. It runs the outlet to the back of the center console. Not sure on the location of the actual inverter for the Fusion

·
Super Moderator
1,523 Posts
Correct - the elimination of the 110v power point option was part of the 2019+ de-contenting.

·
Registered
938 Posts
If you look in the Service Manual for the 2018 like mine, the actual inverter looks like it sits under the coin tray under the dash. Then they run 110v back from there to the wall outlet behind the console in the back seat area. I'm guessing this is because ventilation is probably easier that way then it would be to have the inverter in back of the console. Plus you'd take up valuable storage space if you put it back there, too. So it kind of makes sense.

·
Registered
2017 Fusion Sport Black
26 Posts
Correct - the elimination of the 110v power point option was part of the 2019+ de-contenting.
I really dislike Ford for this "de-contenting" When I purchased my 2007 Focus ST... I was so disappointed that a lot of the features of the earlier years--were no longer available... all to save a buck.... :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts