Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you use the Ford My Key app on your smart phone? If so do you find it useful or just something to do?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Do any of you use the Ford My Key app on your smart phone? If so do you find it useful or just something to do?
This has me interested. I thought MyKey was just a way to program a key to be more restricted, limiting what the key can do with the car. You mean there's an app, as well, called "MyKey"? What does it do?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This has me interested. I thought MyKey was just a way to program a key to be more restricted, limiting what the key can do with the car. You mean there's an app, as well, called "MyKey"? What does it do?
Well you can start your car with it, find the location of the car, check the oil life, check tire pressure, check how much gas you have in the tank. I am not sure hiw much more information you can find.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well you can start your car with it, find the location of the car, check the oil life, check tire pressure, check how much gas you have in the tank. I am not sure hiw much more information you can find.
Oh wait that sounds like the FordPass app. I do have that, and yeah I use it fairly often. I like the app but the virus pandemic has shown me that the app is less useful than I would like in certain ways. For instance, if you don't start the car for a couple of weeks, the car will shut down the TCU and not allow you to remotely control the car. I understand this is primarily about power draw, but I also keep thinking "what about someone who travels out of state for a while and still wants to be able to access their car while they're away?" They'll have access for maybe a couple weeks, then the TCU will shut down and that's the end of it. But for normal situations, it's a pretty nice app. A little slow to respond, though; probably because you have to make the request from the app to the Ford servers, then it has to send the signal out to your car's TCU, and your car has to pick that up and act on it. So all that takes a little time and it's not real-time like your key fob is. But still, a nice app to have, and more than once I've been out somewhere and hit the app to check my fuel level or whatever. It's a nice app. It also sends you maintenance reminders, alarm notifications (if someone breaks into your car), various things like that. Pretty cool. I recommend it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is known as Ford pass. My key is as Engineer mentioned. I find ford pass useful for the remote start. Find the lock and unlock handy if I leave the keys inside and need to get into the car. The map function works and is particularly handy in big carparks and you're having trouble where you parked. Car also notifies you on service issues like oil changes, low charge on battery, low tire pressure and a few others.
Worth installing and having imo. Note by accepting the terms of use Ford can track data from the app like locations traveled and frequency. I believe they can also share the data but I havent come across any targeted advertisements, for instance, that suggests that the data is being used in this way at the moment.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh wait that sounds like the FordPass app. I do have that, and yeah I use it fairly often. I like the app but the virus pandemic has shown me that the app is less useful than I would like in certain ways. For instance, if you don't start the car for a couple of weeks, the car will shut down the TCU and not allow you to remotely control the car. I understand this is primarily about power draw, but I also keep thinking "what about someone who travels out of state for a while and still wants to be able to access their car while they're away?" They'll have access for maybe a couple weeks, then the TCU will shut down and that's the end of it. But for normal situations, it's a pretty nice app. A little slow to respond, though; probably because you have to make the request from the app to the Ford servers, then it has to send the signal out to your car's TCU, and your car has to pick that up and act on it. So all that takes a little time and it's not real-time like your key fob is. But still, a nice app to have, and more than once I've been out somewhere and hit the app to check my fuel level or whatever. It's a nice app. It also sends you maintenance reminders, alarm notifications (if someone breaks into your car), various things like that. Pretty cool. I recommend it.
Huh you just beat me to it.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
104 Posts
Note by accepting the terms of use Ford can track data from the app like locations traveled and frequency. I believe they can also share the data but I havent come across any targeted advertisements, for instance, that suggests that the data is being used in this way at the moment.
I assume a big part of it is they want all of that sensor data from the car to train their self driving algorithms. It would also explain why they made the Co-Pilot 360 thing standard on most (all?) of their cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks to all who responded I may look into putting this app on my phone.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
My 2017 has it, SYNC3 with Ford Connect is required for Ford Pass capability. I believe they added TPMS readings in 2018 or later. Ford's IT infrastructure is bass ackwards compared to the competition as GM's OnStar app had far more functionality years before Ford Pass became a reality (like the individual tire psi readings via OnStar app years and years and years before Ford Pass). My 2017 Fusion's Ford Pass app just shows my tire pressure is being monitored or if there is a problem. I'm going to disable TPMS if Discount Tire charges me $60 to replace the one TPMS that is acting up. Waste of money.

My 2018 Explorer has the base 4.2" SYNC1 system so it doesn't have anything and I don't mind at all. Less crap to replace.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi dtd. Just to avoid confusion: As Engineer mentioned, you are actually referring to the "FordPass" app. Not "MyKey".

"MyKey" is not available on the Fusion. "MyKey" allows the vehicle owner to use their smart phone as a key to open and start the vehicle without a keyfob at all.

EDIT- Oooops...I need to correct what I stated above. What I believe "dtd" was actually referring to is the "PAAK" (Phone As A Key) app, which allows the vehicle owner to install the "PAAK" app on their smart phone, and use it as a key to unlock/start/drive the vehicle with no keyfob needed.
The Fusion does have "MyKey", but it is not an app. "MyKey" is the parental safety feature that allows a parent or other individual to program a keyfob to place certain limits on how the vehicle can be driven, audio volume, speed alarms etc., when the vehicle is started with that fob.
I had a brain cloud when I answered earlier and confused "MyKey' and "PAAK". 🙃

Good luck.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi dtd. Just to avoid confusion: As Engineer mentioned, you are actually referring to the "FordPass" app. Not "MyKey".

"MyKey" is not available on the Fusion. "MyKey" allows the vehicle owner to use their smart phone as a key to open and start the vehicle without a keyfob at all.

Good luck.
Thanks to all for the clarification.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I should also mention that, if someone wanted something roughly similar to this kind of functionality in their FFS, they could use Forscan to disable Secure Idle and also to set the dash to activate without the key fob present. That combination should allow someone to use Fordpass to start the car, then drive it without the key fob. That is NOT something I would recommend, and I do have secure idle, etc. enabled on our cars. But I wanted to throw that out there for anyone who really wanted this functionality. Again, not as a recommendation, just as something to consider if someone really wants to do this.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Secure Idle is disabled by default. I turned it on for the vehicles for an added level of security.

Ford Pass used to cost money after the free subscription ended but I believe Ford changed their mind and it is now free as of a few years ago.

·
Registered
19 Ford Fusion Sport
165 Posts
Secure Idle is disabled by default. I turned it on for the vehicles for an added level of security.

Ford Pass used to cost money after the free subscription ended but I believe Ford changed their mind and it is now free as of a few years ago.
Secure Idle was on by default on my 2019 Sport. Used Forscan to enable it and found it was already enabled and then tested it to confirm. Wasn't able to put the car in drive after I threw the key out the window.
Not sure when they changed this, but it was off on my 17 Energi. I tried it out at work. Started the car, gave my key to someone who walk 20+ feet away. I then put the car in gear and drove a few feet as proof.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I enabled it on both 17 Fusion Sports and my 18 Explorer. My 14 SHO wasn't enabled but I didn't know about Forscan back then!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Secure Idle was on by default on my 2019 Sport. Used Forscan to enable it and found it was already enabled and then tested it to confirm. Wasn't able to put the car in drive after I threw the key out the window.
Not sure when they changed this, but it was off on my 17 Energi. I tried it out at work. Started the car, gave my key to someone who walk 20+ feet away. I then put the car in gear and drove a few feet as proof.
It was also enabled on my 18 FFS when I got it, although I bought it used so it's possible the previous owner turned that on. I have never bothered to check the factory as-built data to see which was the real factory setting, since it's enabled and that's the way I want it so I'm cool with it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts