Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the local Ford place the other day and found out
that the sales on the FFS are not going that good.

They still have the white one on their lot that was there back
in Sept. 2016 plus the Burgendy one I ordered that arrived
there on Dec. 22 2016.

I asked the salesperson what was going on and he said that
he contributes the poor FFS sales on advertizement, just
like what happened with the SHO..

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I sell Fords and I couldn't agree more with your salesman... Ford does virtually no marketing for the Sport and not a lot of people know about it. There are not a lot of things like it in its class for the same price. The only 2017 Fusion Sport that we have sold at my dealership is the one I bought!

·
Registered
451 Posts
You're 100% correct. There is little to no advertising for these two trims. The SHO I understand as the Taurus itself is on its last leg (again). The FFS, it would be nice if they'd mildly mention it on their regular Fusion commercials. Say a Fusion commercial gets 30 seconds on TV. Give the sport 5 seconds towards the very end. Heck, they're part of the same lineup.

The way I see it, there's probably more risk if net losses spending money on advertising for the FFS and the SHO. The Fusion Sport had a more-quiet entry which is OK in my book. Also, it's not quite an up sell from a regular Fusion if you take a look at the gas mileage or clientele.

My other theory is they're giving the FFS a quiet launch to test the waters. Maybe they didn't have enough parts/inventory for mass purchasing. If you mass advertise and can't make enough, well ****. If you don't advertise enough and make too many, well **** again.

If ford advertised, made too many FFS, and didn't sell. It's a major lose-lose. You can look at it in many different ways. Like I said, no problem with the quiet launch in my book, but give the FFS a few seconds in a regular Fusion commercial :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
I would disagree with the salesman. Anyone who is a "car guy" or gal, knows all about these cars. They've been written up quite a few times in publications, and have good reviews. Challengers, SS's, etc. compete directly as long as 4wd is not an issue, and are available with much more power for the "car guys". A normal sedan buyer doesn't know about the sporty models and doesn't care.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would disagree with the salesman. Anyone who is a "car guy" or gal, knows all about these cars. They've been written up quite a few times in publications, and have good reviews. Challengers, SS's, etc. compete directly as long as 4wd is not an issue, and are available with much more power for the "car guys". A normal sedan buyer doesn't know about the sporty models and doesn't care.
You kind of summed up my post in a couple of sentences. I feel like you have to specifically be in the market for a sporty AWD sedan at a price under 40k. The only cars that come to mind are the Fusion, WRX. Maybe I'm missing a couple of others, but this is definitely for a certain market of folk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes, and the sedan market in general seems to be shrinking worldwide. A few older people have told me they switched to SUV's just because they're easier to get in and out of!!!

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
the thing is, they need to pull in people who aren't just "car people" which is why the car is not full on sports and is still tame enough to try and attract every day people. All of their marketing, what little there has been is soccer moms. But even then, you rarely see the advertisements. If you end up only selling to the select group of "car people" you will always have poor sales, especially at their price point. same reason the Evo failed (even though Mitsu will claim its to go green, that is BS) and same reason you don't see many WRX STi's out there. At the price point, car guys will look at Mustang GTs, used Corvettes, etc. unless they absolutely need the AWD which lets face it, a lot of car people buy those cars, and then have a cheap beater to drive in crappy weather. The reality is the advertising of this car is horrendous. Ford uses the look of the Sport in their Fusion ads, but don't talk about it at all. You rely on car enthusiast people only, you will never succeed unless your name is Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche, and even they have had enough failures. I would expect maybe a couple more years of the Sport, and then it will disappear just like it did 2010-2012. They need to grab people's attention and get people who aren't only looking for the car to want the car.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I should add as well, when I talk about Ferrari, Lambo etc. they are not only getting car enthusiasts, they are getting people buying for the status symbol, so they have more then just car people. Any car does need that to keep existing.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I myself like the quite entry that the FFS has made.

It has people looking and wondering "what the heck
was that"?

Do I love my FFS, you bet I do and I have already
decided to buy the car after the lease is up if not
before that...

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Its not that I don't love the fact that I have a car that is rare, cause I really do love it. I love my car like crazy. Every time I walk up to it, I think "**** thats sexy" and every time I drive it I enjoy every minute of it... well not every minute because when people are driving slow I am just waiting to get back on the gas, but it doesn't change the fact that if we want it to stay around, it needs to sell. The only other option Ford would have is keep the Sport version an order only car. Realistically they could do it as they produce the engine for more than just our car, the only thing I think is completely our own is the interior, so if they put in the same interior as, say the titanium version, the only change is the engine, and build it to order... only way to not care about sales numbers.

·
Registered
624 Posts
! Long post warning !

First off, all theories previously mentioned are valid arguments to which we will probably never know the answer to.

I hope whatever it is that Ford is thinking, they continue with the Sport. I'm concerned they will just leave the fun powertrains to Lincoln.
It will be no skin off their back to discontinue the Sport. No wasted powertrains parts, just money saved not shipping said parts to Fusion factory. Hence the reason I posted a while back that I hope Toyota has a great Camry "sport". Why it and cars like the Kia Gt are important. Doesn't matter how different it is, just matters that they help prove there's a market for affordable sport sedans.

No offense to our salesmans' here, but I don't completely understand why if a Sport is on the lot you can't get it sold. Yes the demand is low, which poor marketing is contributing to, so I can understand people not coming in looking to order one in their favorite color. But I don't see price as too much of an issue here.

Salesmans, how many Titaniums have you sold at the same price point as the sport? I bet a lot.

Before the Sport hit the lots I test drove one to make sure I was OK with the Fusion in general. It was AWD, had special wheels(similar to the Sports) and possibly drivers assist and that's it. MSRP was MORE than my 401a, cooled seats,3M, floor mats Sport. These are just Titaniums I'm talking about, I don't expect platinum buyers to cross shop a sport(Mkz). I see alot of Titaniums on the road.

Out of all the perspective Fusion buyers who test drives one, no one ever says they wouldn't mind more power?

Not even 5% of Fusion buyers wants a little more power at the loss of a few mpgs? What's wrong with this country? People of America, you work hard for your money, you deserve to smile a bit while your commuting to your crappy job.

I guess us here are just unique folks.

·
Registered
451 Posts
All the replies to this thread in terms of loving the "quiet entry" reminds me of the Chevy SS. I remember the first time I saw that on the road, I said "Holy crap, what the heck is that. Is that a high end Malibu?" Which I guess technically it looks like one. Lol. Low and behold it dusted everyone.

That's definitely a great example of a quiet entry. I've never seen the Chevy SS advertised

·
Registered
88 Posts
I sell Fords and I couldn't agree more with your salesman... Ford does virtually no marketing for the Sport and not a lot of people know about it. There are not a lot of things like it in its class for the same price. The only 2017 Fusion Sport that we have sold at my dealership is the one I bought!
Right there with you. Including mine, I've sold four. I would attribute it to people seeing more 'practical' family haulers on the market for roughly the same price (i.e. Explorer). Aside from the fact that I think the FS is an answer to a question that was never asked, the vast majority of customers here drive a payment, if you will, and the payments on a FS aren't that low. All the cheapskates around here want $200 sign and drive. Heck, I see more S550 Mustangs around here, which confuses me to no end.

The FS is a niche (enthusiasts?) car, and I'm perfectly fine with that. It's either brave or crazy, but I appreciate the fact that Ford has set aside resources to make this, the RS, the Raptor, etc. in light of the fact that everyone is buying (leasing, actually) crossovers.

The customers to whom I've sold an FS came in specifically asking for it (one traded in an older SHO, and he was in his 70s!). I like customers like that - makes the day marginally interesting.

·
Banned
249 Posts
the zero marketing kills aftermarket support though! BADLY! Me, personally, I wouldn't buy a FS. I'm not a fan of the exterior one bit.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Regarding advertising, I have been seeing a Fusion commercial on TV where they show people getting in one and driving away. First shot is of the front of the car, which has a Titanium grille/fascia. Then they switch to a rear shot where it's driving away. and the RH bumper emblem says "SPORT" on it. It appears that all shots are of the same car! Weird, huh?

·
Registered
82 Posts
All the replies to this thread in terms of loving the "quiet entry" reminds me of the Chevy SS. I remember the first time I saw that on the road, I said "Holy crap, what the heck is that. Is that a high end Malibu?" Which I guess technically it looks like one. Lol. Low and behold it dusted everyone.

That's definitely a great example of a quiet entry. I've never seen the Chevy SS advertised
And now the SS is dead so...maybe not what we want for our beloved FFS.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
And now the SS is dead so...maybe not what we want for our beloved FFS.
Thats exactly my point. If it doesn't sell and is too quiet, the Fusion Sport won't last very long again, and if it doesn't last long again this time, they might not ever bring the Sport back.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Did you guys not see my link???
I did. I wonder how many young black women drive this car, and how many are on this forum. That commercial seems to indicate that's who they're looking for.

Reactions: ftrucktough
1 - 20 of 46 Posts