Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard 2 different agreements about have the steeda cold air intake with a throttle body spacer will the engine get to much air and start having idle issues or will the car learn to take in that kinda air I heard to do it after a tune but kinda don’t wanna wait that long to install my throttle body spacer what should I do

·
Registered
727 Posts
Spacers are useless unless it's a port for methanol..

Reactions: Oreo

·
Registered
377 Posts
The design of the Steeda CAI should be called the Engine Bay Air Intake. Unless you do some modifications to it, you will be sucking in air from the engine bay as the rubber gasket does not fit tightly against the bottom of the hood. Oreo has a rather in depth write up on the intake.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I call them all hot air intakes. But regardless of that, those conical filters add nothing for performance. Your restriction is in the turbochargers themselves and the catalytic converters. I can max out the stock turbos using a dirty factory paper air filter. It has been scientifically demonstrated that the K&N style filters can yield a decrease in pressure drop over paper by at most 0.1-0.2 psi, and that's nothing at all. A few SHO owners dyno'd their tuned SHO's without air intakes at all and noted 1-3 whp variations which is subject to dyno errors etc... You're not going to feel 10 whp on the track let alone 1-3 whp.

The 2020 GT500 just came out and sure enough a bunch of vendors are releasing gigantic hot air intakes or conical filters stuffed in a sealed box, and noting something like 47 whp / 5 wtq gains... but this is with a massive supercharger on a bigger V8 engine and the hood propped open in a temperature controlled shop room environment. And only 5 wtq gains is hardly worth mentioning. Take that to a track with massive heat soaking opportunities and you won't see much gains from that intake. Most of the time these hot air intake vendors are smart and they advertise dyno gains WITH a tune, so you can't really see which yielded the most (it's the tune) or the gains were observed in a temp controlled environment with the hood propped open. Keep in mind our 2.7s are rather small displacement V6 engines equipped with very small turbochargers. The Ford GT supercar runs a pair of our stock factory paper air filters because each of those turbos max out at about the same as both our turbos maxed out. I did my own testing with a bunch of different types of filters on the SHO, and different intakes/filters on my Mustang GT and observed that removing the cats would yield about a 40+ hp gain even N/A.

·
Premium Member
594 Posts
I had both mods on my Fusion before I tuned it and no issues with idle or CEL

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
You really need to perform several datalogs of before/after turbo airmass flowed to see if the mods really netted you something. 1-2 lb/min can be chalked up to atmospheric changes (humidity, air density, etc) Anything more than that consistently would be worthwhile to note. I did that on the SHO and went back to stock paper filters.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts
Save your money and drive the family sedan, this is not a race/track car.
And that is why people hate being whipped by this car...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts