Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion sport 2.7L
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I know I'm going to get a lot of mixed opinions and advice from people on this discussion. Well I as everyone else here I own a fusion sport and I'm currently building it as an sleeper. I know the fusion sports are sleepers already but I'm trying to be total incognito. I only have a tune at the moment but I have some more just common upgrades on the way to help with power FMIC, Intake, throttle body.

Now the real reason for the discussion is an idea I had when planning on the route I wanted to go for exhaust. I thought about doing cutout valves so daily driving it will go through stock exhaust, then when it comes time to beat WRX's and Golfs it would be basically straight piped. Now I already have the cutouts and I'm going to get them welded in this week. So it's happening even if it's a bad idea or not but I I wanted to see if anyone else has done this. I personally couldn't find anyone else.

I will update this discussion with pictures of the install and keep people updated but here are some pictures of the cutouts themselves and the car it's going on. And yes it does say it's an SE I may have changed the badging because it's funny to tell people it's just a normal fusion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had this all planned out, just never pulled the trigger. My hope was that with the valves open you could still get enough flow through the muffler to make it manageable.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
So just out of curiosity because I've never seen this done before, how does this work? Is that electrical wire leading to a solenoid on the inside that switches the exhaust between the regular full path, and the bypass? Just a total guess but figured I'd ask. Sorry for the silly question; a lot of folks on here probably know and don't need to ask. :)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did this exact thing on my MKIII Supra back in the day; I stole the idea from my fbody buddies who all used them. The car had a reasonably quiet exhaust system (still 3" mandrel bent) for the sleeper effect, but when I wanted to be loud all I needed to do was press a button and it was off to the races. As I recall, I also picked up 4mph in the 1/4 mile so there was some power gain too.

The car sounded a little like a dump truck with the cutout open, but in a good way. When putzing around the parking lot at low (<1500 rpm's) you could reallllly hear the whistle of the turbo. It was pretty loud, but not that bad since the turbo also muffles the engine.

Engineer, to your question, the cutout I used basically looked like a throttle plate. I wired it to a momentary rocker switch - press one way for 3-4 seconds to open it, press the other way for a few seconds to close it.

Slowbro, post some pics once you get them installed! I would love to see how it works out on the Fusion.

Bicycle part Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Muffler
Leg Drinkware Bicycle part Cylinder Automotive tire
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tread Rim

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice, I'm curious to know how it's going so sound! I had this planned also, but I'm going to go with boost activated cutouts instead of electronic ones

Reactions: KCMastaPeace

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. Sorry for the delay for anyone following this thread my work schedule was kind of crazy in these last few days. I was able to work on it tonight and can I just say whoever designed the exhaust did a poor job. It was a little more difficult than I planned originally well I was able to get one of the two in. The second one will be going in tomorrow I just ran out of time tonight due to it needing some extra fabrication. Parts of it were able to be welded other parts needed to be clamped. Originally all of it was planned to be welded but due to not being able to pull all exhaust out because it was all one piece I had to jimmy rig it. Here are some pictures and photos of just the one in there. Should be finished tomorrow I will post more pictures and videos them as well.

·
Registered
110 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry it took so long to post but it's done, I'll take some pictures today of it I got too excited after we installed it and forgot to. I do have this video though and I'll hopefully get some videos of it today as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask I'll attempt to answer them for you guys.

2017 Ford Fusion sport cutout valve exhaust finished. Short revs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alrighty I know it's been a long time since I've posted in this thread and I apologize. Last week I decided I was sick of scrapping and people being able to clearly see my cutoff valves that hung about 4 inches too low. So, I took it to a shop that I heard was pretty good to see if we could fix that. It took about 25 minutes of me and 3 of the guys at the shop trying to figure out where the heck to put them. We finally figured something out which everyone should know isn't easy because there is no room under there. Where there is room it's too close to the gas tank which is also a problem. Lastly they're electric cutouts so they have a massive motor which makes them even harder to hide. We decided the safest and best place we could get them up and hidden was behind the muffler which was kinda a tight fit but it worked. Now that I actually have them properly installed and looking good I figured I'd share some pictures and answer what questions I could. Last picture is just to show how much they stick out now compared to before

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great work . How much $$ do you have invested in the cutout system?
I bought the cutouts from spelab which were about $280, then for install at the exhaust shop I went to was $160. So around $450 rounding up which for me isn't bad to have 2 different sounds for my car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts