Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my UP fmic installed after it’s been sitting in my garage since Christmas. It should pair nicely with my e30 tune from James.

We tried to go in from the bottom but ended up removing the bumper anyway. We were able to keep the factory air shutters on the front.

Rectangle Font Metal Auto part Fashion accessory

Grille Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Only way to change it is to pull the bumper, and never seen any shutters on a Sport before.

Reactions: DaMiFo

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only way to change it is to pull the bumper, and never seen any shutters on a Sport before.
You can go in from the bottom. It’s actually what UP says to do in the instructions. We almost did but we decided to take the bumper off to get better access.

Mine had active grille shutters, and most do as far as I’m aware.

·
Registered
497 Posts
You can go in from the bottom. It’s actually what UP says to do in the instructions. We almost did but we decided to take the bumper off to get better access.

Mine had active grille shutters, and most do as far as I’m aware.
Sorry, you do not have active shudders on the Sport but I
believe they are active on the 2.0 EcoBoost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, you do not have active shudders on the Sport but I
believe they are active on the 2.0 EcoBoost.
Maybe I’m using the wrong term, but I had to remove a large plastic vent off of the front of the radiator and intercooler behind the bumper to remove and install the intercooler.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That's just a baffle, directs the air into the cooling. Looks similar to the shutters, but with out the shutters. With the other non Sport Fusions, you see two sets of shutters, one at the top and another down below the rebar that are connected with a plastic bar that runs behind the rebar, and it's a PITA to get put together, done a lot of them over the years.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's just a baffle, directs the air into the cooling. Looks similar to the shutters, but with out the shutters. With the other non Sport Fusions, you see two sets of shutters, one at the top and another down below the rebar that are connected with a plastic bar that runs behind the rebar, and it's a PITA to get put together, done a lot of them over the years.
Oh gotcha. I was just using the wrong term then.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I recommend removing or trimming those baffles. They will rub a hole right through your intercooler. They also isolate a significant portion of the intercooler from air flow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I took the bottom half off mine when I did the swap, doesn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I should have but didn’t when I first installed it. When I took it apart to cut out the lower grille opening and found that damage and it was a kick in the teeth for sure. Luckily it didn’t get all the way through but it sure looked like it would have if I’d have left it alone. The IC was so much thicker that it had those flaps compressed tightly against it. I never thought plastic would cut aluminum like that, and I’m in the aluminum industry! It was embarrassing!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I cut off the bottom part when I did mine as well.
Then I cut out a section for the Velossa Tech Bigmouth. When I relocated the AAC into the grill; I finally decided to dispense with it entirely. I should have just removed it completely from the beginning and could have reinstalled it when I went back to stock. Almost $400.00 CDN to replace.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/bracket-radiator-grille-9235255-1#/sectionId:4086394

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recommend removing or trimming those baffles. They will rub a hole right through your intercooler. They also isolate a significant portion of the intercooler from air flow.
How long was it installed until you noticed that wear?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
From July 31, 2018 to May 22, 2020. So less than two years.

Reactions: Mitch

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Opening up the lower grille and removing the baffles exposes almost the entire IC to airflow. It also alerts other drivers to the fact that you’re packing something bigger than the standard 2.0 Ecoboost that most people expect from a Fusion. I’ve had people casually walking past in the pits suddenly do a double-take and come back to ask about the car.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
LOL, that's funny. I was up at the Da Pad one night last summer, rolling up to the crowd, and some kid yells, " Yo man, what's done to your car ? " . My answer was priceless, more than you'll ever know. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Opening up the lower grille and removing the baffles exposes almost the entire IC to airflow. It also alerts other drivers to the fact that you’re packing something bigger than the standard 2.0 Ecoboost that most people expect from a Fusion. I’ve had people casually walking past in the pits suddenly do a double-take and come back to ask about the car. View attachment 29820
I like that look, but I have ACC and want to keep it protected.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like that look, but I have ACC and want to keep it protected.
Still, I’d recommend getting some expanded aluminum or plastic honeycomb to put in the large openings of the lower grille. Mine filled up with leaves and debris, and road smut beat the crap out of the fins. I bought very inexpensive bare aluminum expanded sheet to cover mine (belatedly). It’s 3003 alloy and dead soft so very easy to cut and form. Secured with black zip ties. I used bare instead of “black anodized” because the Chinese “anodized” is more like paint and will chip and peel. I figured it would look better bare than chipped black. Ha!
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting

Also didn’t look bad after blacking out the chrome!
Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate Tire Land vehicle

1 - 17 of 17 Posts