Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i would like to share the summary of my first week. This is perhaps more for the perspective buyers than those that are nearly 12 month owners, but felt i wanted to share.

Bit about me first. This is my first brand new car. Actually first car that cost more than $5500 and less than 8 years old. My last few cars have been V6's but only NA. I also typically hold onto my cars until they are completely dead. Dont enjoy buying cars as i am not good at making my mind up.

Some highlights/lowlights of my week.
- wife gave out a shriek on first WOT. Went well for me that evening
- lane assist disabled after 24 hrs. Feeling the wheel vibrate during evasive maneuver little distracting
- Power still pulling strong at speeds that bring 3 months jail time. Not deliberate to go that high, its just that it kept pushing me back into the seat, which was thoroughly enjoyable and one thing led to the other.
- Chewed through the fuel. Have gotten 260k (160m) out of 3/4 of a tank of gas. Needless to say today i spent teaching myself that there is a throttle position somewhere in the middle (computer is saying 19mpg at the moment. Not sure i believe it. Think its a bit worse. My fault not the car.
- Red flashing lights up front a bit distracting. Had an idiot pull up on freeway for no apparent reason in front of me. Lights and sounds going off. Not sure whether computer kicked in but i think Ford could have a few less red LEDs. Having a Christmas tree light up in my eyeline when in pucker factor 5 mode not helpful.
- love adaptive cruise. Not overly comfortable in heavier traffic but love it on longer runs with moderate traffic.
- switched off applink. If i wanted to see my phone, i would put it on a holder.
- navigation is not bad but few things are annoying. Would like the option for radio to quieten when instructions being said. Also detour function is so bad there would be less frustration if it didnt exist. I will admit the split screen for the more detailed turn information is appreciated.
- still getting used to all of the sounds and alerts. Perhaps a few too many. It does get distracting at times. Still getting used to it.
- seriously thinking of getting forscan just to kill the double horn when you get out of the car. First timed scared the life out of me. I then realised i left something i needed and had to go through it a second time. Enjoyed the looks that it got.
- the paddles are fun but the sport shift points are close to what i would change at both up and down that dont bother with them at the moment.
- went grocery shopping saturday. Will be buying net Monday. Recommend new buyers negotiating this in when finalising the deal.
- Already racked up a number of hours researching mods. Want the tunes, but will wait a year first. Looking at filters and CAIs as "soon" purchases. Looks like for about $2500, the car would be crushing stock performance cars that would have cost another 20 to 30k more. I have a taste for the g force and want more.

Overall this car is fun. I see a lot of SE and Titaniums around but not sport. It nice having that bit of rarity that only a few knowabout.

As this is my first AWD, its amazing how well it goes around corners. There is a lot of talk about straight line speed in the forums, but for a 5000lb car, this is very handy in the bends as well.

I must admit i could feel all the electronic stuff happening at first and it was a bit weird. Just as i was feeling like understeer was going to start sucking me out, something would happen, and id feel the fronts firming and gripping. Its really cool. Got to the point where not sure whether the rubber will slip on the road or come of the rims. Only concern is that the feel through the steering is a bit numb. Bizarre not having the feel but the traction control and vectoring seem to be doing their job. Rarely have to lift going around bends and getting off the ramps. Although i mention the speed, the best is the poise of the car. Very little body roll and no fuss or twitching. The steering is accurate, just lacks a bit of feedback through the wheel.

Still loving the car. Not many family or friends still share my enthusiasm but this car is a gem. It is my 3rd Ford, and yes it has Ford issues (eg quality of interior trim fit), but I feel as though i have gotten more than my money's worth on this purchase.

Finally an apology to Toronto. It was me who washed his car mid afternoon on Saturday, angering the rain gods.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Bit about me first. This is my first brand new car. Actually first car that cost more than $5500 and less than 8 years old. My last few cars have been V6's but only NA. I also typically hold onto my cars until they are completely dead. Dont enjoy buying cars as i am not good at making my mind up.

This is me to a "T".
I went back and forth for months on buying a new car, my 09 MKZ needed a new water pump and I was quoted $1700 by several shops, car wasn't worth more than that.

I can agree on all points you mentioned, although I hear Canadian cars are fully loaded so most in the US don't have all the options you experience.
I can imagine you had scrambled eggs after grocery shopping, fully agree on the net for the trunk, it can be had rather cheap on Ebay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts