Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've had my Fusion sport for a few months now and am looking at some tuning options. I've never had a car tuned so I'm not really sure what to expect/how to deal with it.
Same as a lot of people on here, I'm interested in Unleashed tuning, specifically in the power pack on their site that comes with an air intake and thermostat.
This car is my daily, and unfortunately its too expensive to always have 93 in it, especially with a 45 minute commute to work. If I get a 93 tune from Unleashed and use the flash tuner thing that comes with it, can I effectively drive my car stock most of the time and then throw the tune and 93 in when I want to have some fun?
Also if anyone has any advice or anything in general about these cars, tuning or Unleashed, I'm happy to hear it!

·
Registered
2017 Ford Fusion Sport 2.7L TT AWD
888 Posts
To answer your question, yes, you can leave your car in the stock tune and load your 93 tune when you want to have some fun. Understand that it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to load the tune. I don't recommend "tune hoping".
You have to understand that once you get your initial tune, you will have to perform some datalogging for Torrie to dial you car in for the 93 Tune. This may take 2-3 tune revisions. Then, if you decide to add any aftermarket items to the engine (FMIC, TB, TSTAT, etc) that will require even more datalogging and tune revisions. Once you get that tune, dialed in, you will never want that stock tune again. Good Luck. Recommend you check out @Oreo datalogging tutorial.

Just remember, run only Top Tier Fuel in your car. Bargain Basement gas can really do a number on our engines, really any engine.

Reactions: MY27FUSION

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you can't afford the gas, don't mod your car and void the warranty... How is this even a question?
Yikessssss.... How is this even an answer? A desire to be fiscally responsible should not deter someone from getting a flash tuner and it certainly shouldn't warrant condescending answers from a keyboard warrior in mommy's basement.
My best advice here @michiganfusionsport is to go right on ahead with the tune as they are a reputable company and provide immense aftermarket support to the community. Given you have a 45 minute commute, which I assume is highway, there's zero reason to be running a maxed out 93 tune just to set cruise control. Don't let ole Billy Gates here deter you, do what you want with YOUR car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To answer your question, yes, you can leave your car in the stock tune and load your 93 tune when you want to have some fun. Understand that it takes roughly 10-15 minutes to load the tune. I don't recommend "tune hoping".
You have to understand that once you get your initial tune, you will have to perform some datalogging for Torrie to dial you car in for the 93 Tune. This may take 2-3 tune revisions. Then, if you decide to add any aftermarket items to the engine (FMIC, TB, TSTAT, etc) that will require even more datalogging and tune revisions. Once you get that tune, dialed in, you will never want that stock tune again. Good Luck. Recommend you check out @Oreo datalogging tutorial.

Just remember, run only Top Tier Fuel in your car. Bargain Basement gas can really do a number on our engines, really any engine.
That makes sense. Ideally you’re right and I’ll get the tune dialed in and keep it there just nice to know I do have the ability to change it back if needed. If I do do it I’ll make sure to keep the hopping to a minimum haha thank you!

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Damn, sure glad I do my own tuning, LOL.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I've had enough issues with loading SCT tunes that there is no way I would do what your are thinking of.
Besides it taking too long, there is always an issue of the tune not loading right. I always add a battery charger
on the car to make sure the voltage does not drop to low, which SCT's don't seem to like.

The guys constantly retuning are using HP tuners, which does not seem to have the SCT loading issues.
Even the 87 tune will cut down on the stock trans nannies and make a decent difference.
I think Torrie gives you 2 tunes for whatever he charges. Get the 93 and 87, run the 93 in summer months when the stock IC and
hot air kills power, run the 87 the other 9-10 months.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Running BATA it will take about a minute 20 seconds to flash a new calibration. If I use the stable version, it's about 15 seconds faster, but I rarely use it version. Also depends on how much you change in the new calibration, generally it can add or take 5 to 10 more seconds, but mine are pretty consistent.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yikessssss.... How is this even an answer? A desire to be fiscally responsible should not deter someone from getting a flash tuner and it certainly shouldn't warrant condescending answers from a keyboard warrior in mommy's basement.
Calm down, guy who joined yesterday. OP didn't say "it's not worth it running 93 for a highway commute", he said 93 is "too expensive". I maintain that if saving a few bucks on gas is a huge deal then a $500+ tuner is not being "fiscally responsible", especially when the gains on 87 are barely noticeable.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Damn, that's sad when a new guy comes along and the first thing he does is get jigy, and run his pie hole about $%#& he knows nothing about clearly, LOL

·
Registered
252 Posts
One aspect of Torrie's Unleashed 93 tune that I noticed, is that my gas mileage improved over the stock tune's regardless of the octane (either 87 or 93). I didn't do a before/after comparison, but the mpg's definitely increased. So that reduces the net cost of running solely with 93.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Damn, that's sad when a new guy comes along and the first thing he does is get jigy, and run his pie hole about $%#& he knows nothing about clearly, LOL
Perhaps it reads a bit rough, but the first reply had the right idea, given the information.

I believe that Unleashed/torrie offers an 87 tune, so that's what you should get. As other say, it's best not to constantly swap between tunes and gas quality. Pick something and stick to it for at least a year, I'd say. And then if you can afford it, switch to 93.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hey guys I've had my Fusion sport for a few months now and am looking at some tuning options. I've never had a car tuned so I'm not really sure what to expect/how to deal with it.
Same as a lot of people on here, I'm interested in Unleashed tuning, specifically in the power pack on their site that comes with an air intake and thermostat.
This car is my daily, and unfortunately its too expensive to always have 93 in it, especially with a 45 minute commute to work. If I get a 93 tune from Unleashed and use the flash tuner thing that comes with it, can I effectively drive my car stock most of the time and then throw the tune and 93 in when I want to have some fun?
Also if anyone has any advice or anything in general about these cars, tuning or Unleashed, I'm happy to hear it!
You can get an 87 tune that is better than stock then switch to a 93 tune. Only issue with switching over is how much 87 is in the tank when you fill it with 93. Your OAR will drop regardless but how much depends on how much the 87 brings down the 93. Get a catch can or a breather like I did. Both need maintenance. A washable filter for the stock box to save $$ and flow more than enough air. An intercooler is a plus if not required as the stock unit is not adequate. I feel your pain on the pump prices.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts