Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think this review might be a bit on the harsh side, but I do think they are correct in that the Fusion Sport isn't meant to be an all out sport sedan. Ford could have done themselves a favor my lining their early marketing efforts up with the actual target audience, instead of insinuating they had a BMW 340i slayer on their hands. They are likely to get more negative reviews based more on disappointment than objective opinion.

I can't relate to the opinion that the Fusion Sport isn't that much fun to drive; I think it's a blast. I suppose when you're expecting an Audi S4 (I never was) there is a limit on how much you're going to like the FS.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Saw that today. Sadly, it reflects a lot of my feelings. I feel that this is less of a successor to the previous gen Sport and more of a gap filler between the family sedan and Mustang. Sad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with the guy. I remember the first time I drove my sport I knew it had power but nothing crazy. But now that she is getting a few miles on her she is really opening up. I plan on doing a 1500 mile review soon! But I think this review is more like giving cons and not really explaining all the elegance and power that the fusion sport really is

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree with the guy. I remember the first time I drove my sport I knew it had power but nothing crazy. But now that she is getting a few miles on her she is really opening up. I plan on doing a 1500 mile review soon! But I think this review is more like giving cons and not really explaining all the elegance and power that the fusion sport really is
I have to agree to disagree as well. I have a hard time wrapping my head around his comparison with the Accord.

And although I've never really bought into the idea that the car was programmed to hold back for the first so many miles I have agreed that it has felt quicker since test drive. I'm just over 1500 miles myself. And I don't know how to make total sense of it but today on my drive home from work I put her in sport mode which usually I don't for commuting. Man oh man was she frisky today!
Quicker than ever, pulling extremely hard. I wasn't doing 0-60 runs just driving aggressively, my back pressed against the seat for longer durations than I have previously experienced. It's not that I haven't been driving in sport mode at all lately, so I don't think it was just a lack of sport mode driving that made my butt Dino so excited today. Still not subscribing to 1500 mile magic number theory or anything(at least not yet) but she sure felt like a meaner animal today. It was much cooler today here in SE MI. I don't know, not sure that could account for the all the improvement I felt today either. Hope today's experience continues :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have to agree to disagree as well. I have a hard time wrapping my head around his comparison with the Accord.

And although I've never really bought into the idea that the car was programmed to hold back for the first so many miles I have agreed that it has felt quicker since test drive. I'm just over 1500 miles myself. And I don't know how to make total sense of it but today on my drive home from work I put her in sport mode which usually I don't for commuting. Man oh man was she frisky today!
Quicker than ever, pulling extremely hard. I wasn't doing 0-60 runs just driving aggressively, my back pressed against the seat for longer durations than I have previously experienced. It's not that I haven't been driving in sport mode at all lately, so I don't think it was just a lack of sport mode driving that made my butt Dino so excited today. Still not subscribing to 1500 mile magic number theory or anything(at least not yet) but she sure felt like a meaner animal today. It was much cooler today here in SE MI. I don't know, not sure that could account for the all the improvement I felt today either. Hope today's experience continues :D
I'm telling ya man, it's like the car has a stage of when you buy it, it's feeling you out. And once it realizes that your not an oldman (no offense to the older generation) it's like the sport says "okay, I know what your looking for" and opens up. She growls to me even out of sport mode(with the kids and old lady in the car) and still gets up. And once sport mode is hit and traction control is thrown off she is ready to roll. It took a lot for my evo's to get even sum what to slide but this fusion I can get to kick out just like my focus st and I F-ing love that feeling! Now yes, she is a boat but last time I checked everybody is into curves these days anyways ��

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think some people are taking other's disappoint in the final product that Ford released with a personal attack on the purchase choice they made. I hope everyone loves their Sport. Throw the family in, enjoy the tech and pin them in the seat at the next green light.

But with that said, my wants/needs are not going align with everyone else's. I think Ford's marketing direction for the Sport was just plan dumb. Did I expect it to beat a 340i? No I did not. But I also didn't expect the Sport to get beat by the 4 cylinder 328i. The MKZ's "effortless power" campaign made much more sense.

Also, the "neck and neck" performance with an Accord V6 shines a spotlight on other drawbacks of the Sport. Class leading performance without class leading fuel economy I can live with. Tied for class leading performance with fuel economy at the bottom of the class. Not so much.

Lastly, for those seeking additional performance I hope tuning solutions work for them. I also hope the performance we are seeing is not indicative of some inherent "drivetrain weakness" that s**ts the bed when torque management is altered and the power is turned up. Otherwise I see lots of "out of pocket" repair costs in the future.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I think some people are taking other's disappoint in the final product that Ford released with a personal attack on the purchase choice they made. I hope everyone loves their Sport. Throw the family in, enjoy the tech and pin them in the seat at the next green light.

But with that said, my wants/needs are not going align with everyone else's. I think Ford's marketing direction for the Sport was just plan dumb. Did I expect it to beat a 340i? No I did not. But I also didn't expect the Sport to get beat by the 4 cylinder 328i. The MKZ's "effortless power" campaign made much more sense.

Also, the "neck and neck" performance with an Accord V6 shines a spotlight on other drawbacks of the Sport. Class leading performance without class leading fuel economy I can live with. Tied for class leading performance with fuel economy at the bottom of the class. Not so much.

Lastly, for those seeking additional performance I hope tuning solutions work for them. I also hope the performance we are seeing is not indicative of some inherent "drivetrain weakness" that s**ts the bed when torque management is altered and the power is turned up. Otherwise I see lots of "out of pocket" repair costs in the future.
I am a happy Sport owner, but I also agree with most of your comments,even if I have been guilty as charged. Best I can do is hope mechanical weakness doesn't turn out to be true. That said, I still refuse to believe it is tied for class leading performance. It could be the proud papa in me but I don't think so.

Anybody out there with said Accord V6? I challenge you to a duel! Any time, any where!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And while we're at it, bring on a charger r/t too.
Who else should come? Stock wrx?
Bring it on!
WRX 0-60: ~5 sec flat | 1/4 mile: [email protected]
R/T 0-60: ~5 sec flat | 1/4 mile: [email protected]

This is actually around were I "guesstimated" the Sport's performance would end up (very similar to the SHO). There is still hope but I don't think we are getting there.

The V6 Accords, Camrys, Altimas, Passats, etc. are in the 0-60 ballpark of 5.6 to 5.9 and the 1/4 in 14.1 to 14.3 @100mph or greater. Let's have Ford drop the BMW, Audi, etc. nonsense and let's soundly beat the car's in the Fusion's class.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Welp, by this time next month I estimate my FuSpo will have at least an extra 40 hp, a bucket of torque, a dead torque nanny, an obnoxious exhaust, a pist off lease holder, and no warranty to speak of. Stuff that in you pipe and smoke it, Camry!

·
Registered
104 Posts
---And while we're at it, bring on a charger r/t too.
Bring it on! ---

I want to race you with my 2010 Sport ;). ��

·
Registered
215 Posts
It is annoying when people get angry with any reviewer that doesn't give a positive review of *their* car. I am always conscious of this as it's easy to slip into being defensive, especially if you already own the car. What annoys me about this review is that most of the negative comments revolve around this guy's pre determined idea of what "Sport" means. Forget that Ford has an established formula with the Explorer Sport and Edge Sport (significant but not all-out sport upgrades) as well as different nomenclature for their higher levels of performance (ST, RS, etc.). This guy thinks that anything with "sport" in the name should be an Audi S4, and I think he loses his objectivity because of this. If you read the Car and Driver review from the same event, it sounds like they are reviewing two different cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
---And while we're at it, bring on a charger r/t too.
Bring it on! ---

I want to race you with my 2010 Sport ;). ��
I'm just curious to see how much faster the 17 is over the previous gen

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've destroyed both of those in my tuned Edge, and a Base 2010 911 on saturday. Didn't destroy him but I beat him and he was shocked so much the old man wanted to run me twice!
I would love to see that. Especially the r/t losing to an Edge. Badass

Reactions: 1153

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm just curious to see how much faster the 17 is over the previous gen
Well I have a bone stock 2010 sport, but i only run 87 gas in it. I am in Wisconsin. Green Bay area. If anyone wants to, I will line up on a back country road for a quick and dirty.

... that last part sounded a little weird to me too... don't worry about it ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts