Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have a problem with my torque converter (I think) that my dealership is really resisting fixing. I admit that the problem happens about every 100 miles or so and only shows its head when I have slight pressure on the throttle and the tranny is just seeking its next gear. Then, occasionally, I get a vibration and subtle power decrease when this happens. Makes the sound of a large sub-woofer giving feedback with a slight vibration felt throughout the car. There are no other driveability issues and most shifts are acceptable (much slushier that I care for, at times). This problem never happens when tranny gets to final gear or when the car is driven with more lead in the foot.

The dealership, to date, has only reset tranny codes and seemed to make the problem worse.

Does anyone have advice or experience that they care to share. I really appreciate everyone's time and expertise.
Cheers,
David

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello Everyone, I have a problem with my torque converter (I think) that my dealership is really resisting fixing. I admit that the problem happens about every 100 miles or so and only shows its head when I have slight pressure on the throttle and the tranny is just seeking its next gear. Then, occasionally, I get a vibration and subtle power decrease when this happens. Makes the sound of a large sub-woofer giving feedback with a slight vibration felt throughout the car. There are no other driveability issues and most shifts are acceptable (much slushier that I care for, at times). This problem never happens when tranny gets to final gear or when the car is driven with more lead in the foot.

The dealership, to date, has only reset tranny codes and seemed to make the problem worse.

Does anyone have advice or experience that they care to share. I really appreciate everyone's time and expertise.
Cheers,
David
Hi David,

Yes, I have had this issue as well as have others in the forum. Check out this thread: Weird Sound this car makes!
It only happens every so often and for my car usually after a right hand turn and fairly gentle acceleration. I took a service tech out for a ride to try and get it to happen and predictably, it behaved perfectly. I have never thrown a code or anything when it happened. It would be nice to figure out what is going on.

Doc

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Doc,

I appreciate the link to that thread. As per the thread, that is exactly what it does! Service invited me to try to replicate this problem tomorrow. I was clear that this test drive could last 100 miles or better. He didn't hesitate. He sounded sort of bored. Thank-you and I will update any results.

David

·
Registered
20 Posts
Noticed it here also. Right around peak torque range. I've also noticed that it doesn't happen with passengers in the car. I kind of wrote it off as wheel hop. Let us know what you find I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Noticed it here also. Right around peak torque range. I've also noticed that it doesn't happen with passengers in the car. I kind of wrote it off as wheel hop. Let us know what you find I could be wrong though.
Also doesn't happen on the smooth dragstrip either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I went to the dreaded service department and took the tech on a 50 mile drive (they called him to make sure he was not abducted) and could not get the problem to replicate. Dropped him off then guess what, boom, there it was! Seems the more you try to instigate the problem, the less likely it is to happen. Forget all about it and there it is. Anyway, per the thread link above, the hyperactive stability control seems very plausible.

This problem never happens on anything less that very light acceleration. Seems indifferent to left or right turn, but usually happens after a turn at very normal speed. Happens with and without passengers.

I am going to turn on the dash-cam mic to see if it is able to pick it up, but remains a ghost in the machine.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
An easy way to test the torque converter clutch lockup is go into sport mode, manually upshift into 6th at like 40-45 mph (or wherever it allows based on your tune), and then start lugging the engine by opening the throttle. If it starts to shudder, its the torque converter clutch as it is trying to lock and slips. This doesn't require turning or a curve in the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts