·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Falcon was its own platform.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Was this based off fusion at all, looks really familiar

Hi OX1. As Metroplex stated, the Australian market Falcon was its own distinct platform. It has been around since long before the Fusion existed, is RWD based and bears no relation to the Fusion other than the last models had the Ford Corporate/Fusion front grille resemblance.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Basically 4-door RWD sedan with available V8 and manual transmission, although they have automatics, turbocharged engines, etc... Competitor to the Holden Commodore, which came to the US as the Pontiac G8 then the Chevrolet SS.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
I like it bet it cost over 60 grand

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
They stopped production a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What about it? Holden had Utes as well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Falcon was its own platform.
....or was it? Lol.

The Aussie Falcon had been around since the 60's. I think originally they brought a US model and rebadged. The Falcon quickly had to be modified and eventually redesigned because back then many of the roads there were unsealed and the US spec'd suspension was a weak point. Basically the cars fell apart. The same was for Holden that was owned by GM. It and the GM Commodore were the highest selling cars until the 90s. They followed the US by putting big engines in family sedans. Fast forward to about 2002 and Ford releases the XR8 and their first Falcon with a turbo, the XR6. In their day they were very popular, XR8 was a 5.4 Windsor and the XR6 which had a 3.8L straight six Turbo, pushed out around 320Hp. GM did something similar with their SV6. I remember at the time that there was a lot of talk about Ford and GM having to detune the V6's as they were too close the V8s. Jump to more recent times, just 3 or 4 years ago. Ford releases the XR8 Sprint a 5L Miami supercharged V8 rated at 460hp, normal and an over boost to about 520hp. The XR6 Sprint ran 430 hp, with a 490 over boost. I can't remember the exact cost but I believe they were in the 55-60k US region.
For those about to ask, overboost is an increase in boost pressure for ten seconds when you mash the pedal and the gear changes. There's more to it than that but close enough for you to get the idea.

Rebadged mine as a bit of a homage/memory of something that was pretty special.

Always like to reminisce about home and the good old days. The Aussie muscle cars didn't differ too much from what was here in NA. Big engine with an ordinary interior. How much load could be towed was just as important as the speed, so the range of demographics of buyers was quite broad.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. If that was it's own chassis, they must have stolen the fusion body for it (or vice versa).
Some interesting stuff going on here with what I think is the sway bar.

Imagine that thing with AWD............

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Falcon is its own platform. We were talking about them over 15 years ago in the Crown Vic community. The 13 up Fusion is a rebadged Mondeo, so more likely than not the latest Falcon gen looks like the Mondeo because of the global DNA. Same as the S550 which always looked like a 2 door Mondeo/Fusion. The Fusion brand is a minivan overseas

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Thanks all. If that was it's own chassis, they must have stolen the fusion body for it (or vice versa).
Some interesting stuff going on here with what I think is the sway bar.

Imagine that thing with AWD............

The Dodge Charger was sold to the public with AWD and the 5.7 V8 but no one bought it. They only sell that to Police now. The only 2 Police cars to match or exceed that V8 AWD Charger were the 3.5 EcoBoost Taurus Sedan and the 3.0 EcoBoost Explorer Utility.

Bob Lutz brought the Commodore to the US as the G8 and then the Caprice police car/ SS sedan. The G8 came at a bad time and the SS was a very expensive car and apparently those engines had some quirks for those that kept them.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Even the rear wing looks good , looks like the jaguar/fusion mix

·
Registered
820 Posts
The Dodge Charger was sold to the public with AWD and the 5.7 V8 but no one bought it. They only sell that to Police now. The only 2 Police cars to match or exceed that V8 AWD Charger were the 3.5 EcoBoost Taurus Sedan and the 3.0 EcoBoost Explorer Utility.

Bob Lutz brought the Commodore to the US as the G8 and then the Caprice police car/ SS sedan. The G8 came at a bad time and the SS was a very expensive car and apparently those engines had some quirks for those that kept them.
I think the reason why the AWD Charger didn't sell was from the truck ride height and it wasn't available with the srt 6.2(?). The AWD added an 1.5" to the ride height of I remember correctly.

I would have loved to get an a SRT AWD Magnum.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think the reason why the AWD Charger didn't sell was from the truck ride height and it wasn't available with the srt 6.2(?). The AWD added an 1.5" to the ride height of I remember correctly.

I would have loved to get an a SRT AWD Magnum.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
They could have easily done an AWD with the SRT or Hellcat (Trackhawk Jeep) but last I heard was the demand was way too low for an AWD V8 Charger. When they were in production I saw a few on the parking lots and they looked fine. The higher ride height would have been a good thing IMHO. Nothing worse than driving around with a lowered car and thin sidewall tires around Michigan. You'd be scraping the ground and blowing tires left and right. Then they came out now with the AWD V6 Charger (GT?) and it's almost like a bottom of the barrel trim. Coupled with all the electronics problems I see with FCA vehicles, I'd avoid them like the plague. I see new Durango/Challenger/Chargers with broken diodes in their tail lights.

Reactions: ArthurUSCG
1 - 15 of 15 Posts