Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have had my FS about two months now. Because of a software glitch, I only had the fake engine noise for the first two weeks. And for the last six weeks, no fake engine noise. Until today, when a dealer software update restored my fake engine noise. I absolutely prefer having the noise to not having it. From the F150 forum and other Internet posts, it appears that the engine noise in the FS is not altogether fake sound; it is the actual engine noise piped through the stereo system. At least that is what a couple of the Ford engineers who developed It said. But I'm not sure if it is real time or not. Turns out I really don't care what the source is, or whether it is realtime or not --- I like it! The car feels faster when making a big growl
:)

Reactions: DaMiFo and ike

·
Registered
871 Posts
I dont mind it. I just feel its too loud when not in sport. And in sport it should be louder then it is! Guess im just difficult
I agree, in normal mode, it could be quieter. But in Sport, let her roar.

But I also have issues with the POS Crapyear road noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The dealer told me that in non sport mode there is noise canceling to reduce engine and road noise. When in sport it turns off the noise cancelling so you can hear it better. Was he full of it?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree, in normal mode, it could be quieter. But in Sport, let her roar.

But I also have issues with the POS Crapyear road noise.
Interesting. Most on the forum seem to like the OEM Goodyears, but don't like the OEM Conti's as much. I have the Goodyears and the car seems very quite to me.

Reactions: Reidonly and Flew

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dealer told me that in non sport mode there is noise canceling to reduce engine and road noise. When in sport it turns off the noise cancelling so you can hear it better. Was he full of it?
What is 100% for sure and documented is the stereo is piping in engine sound. Even with the stereo off it happens. There are Youtubes where people put meters on the Sync 3 and measured the sound. What is less clear is the ACN (Active Noise Cancelling), and when and how it functions. I assumed it was always on, and acts like Bose noise cancelling headsets to keep the cabin noise down. But that is a guess. Maybe others on the forum know more.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting. Most on the forum seem to like the OEM Goodyears, but don't like the OEM Conti's as much. I have the Goodyears and the car seems very quite to me.
With the windows closed and everything turned off this car is dead silent outside of the piped in engine noise. I absolutely can't hear any tire noise or anything else for that matter.

·
Registered
871 Posts
So far except for the road noise the Goodyears are ok. I have never had a set of Goodyears that were quite, I think my ears are sensitive to the pitch of the tires. Usually, I go with Michelins which in general have a lower pitch sound.

It's not saying much comparing OEM Goodyears to OEM Conti.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The sound cancellation i would assume id always about the same. But it can control what parts it cancels and seems to make "desirable engine noise" louder in sport. There wouldnt really be any reason to stop cancelling wind and tire noise... ?

I have goodyear allseasons and theu quiet but i dont like the ride and they have no traction

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So far except for the road noise the Goodyears are ok. I have never had a set of Goodyears that were quite, I think my ears are sensitive to the pitch of the tires. Usually, I go with Michelins which in general have a lower pitch sound.

It's not saying much comparing OEM Goodyears to OEM Conti.
I've never had Goodyears before these. Also prefer Michelins. I have had some bad tires over the years (less known off-brand cheapies that were highly rated on tire rack.com). I've never had a set of Michelins that I did not like.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I've never had a set of Michelins that I did not like.
Agree 100%.

Everytime I've put Michelin's on, they've replaced OEM Goodyears. Not only have they always been superior, but also had longer wear. And I was going with "comparable" Michelin's, not "upgrades".

I've got the Conti's on my Sport, and although I can't complain too much, (they actually seem quite good in the rain, had a mild winter), I find myself looking forward to replacing them with a nice set of Michelin's.

Sorry OP, went a little of topic.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I can't wait to wear the Goodyears out and switch to Michelin Pilot Sport a/s 3+. I have them on the Subaru and they are great tires and I think would fit the FS much better then the Goodyears.

I honestly don't understand how Goodyears are still a top tier tire company. Their tires always have something undesirable. I would prefer Goodyear on the same level as Cooper tires.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoradoGuy View Post

I had the Contis on the my 1st 2017 Sport and now have the Goodyears on my 2nd Sport.

Windows up. No noise difference at all.
Windows down, Goodyears have a very slightly higher pitched highway noise than the Contis.

From my POV, the Goodyears warm up faster and may be a little grippier, sooner.
They definitely look sportier.

·
Super Moderator
1,524 Posts
I still do like the noise as well, real or fake. The car just feels like a normal boring sedan without it.

Mostly true. Ford renamed it to "Active Noise Control" in our cars first of all. The ANC is always on, and the same system plays the engine noise on top of things. It just plays the engine noise at two different levels depending on if you're in Sport mode or not.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The stock Badyear F1 Asymmetric All-Seasons seem OK on the dry and wet roads. The road noise is about comparable to the Badyear Eagle RS-As that came on my SHO. The Fusion Sport interior is extremely quiet. I had the sunroof fully open at 60+ mph and it was library quiet until I stuck my hand outside. This is a significant difference from my Cobalt SS Turbo's factory sunroof which sounds like I opened a portal to the Cloud City of Bespin at 45 mph.

But with the radio off, I noticed my Fusion Sport makes a slight whistling noise that comes from the closed/sealed sunroof. If I close the sunshade, I can no longer hear the sound. With the sunshade open, the whistling sound is slightly apparent. Turning on the radio drowns it out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Cloud City reference for the win.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The stock Badyear F1 Asymmetric All-Seasons seem OK on the dry and wet roads. The road noise is about comparable to the Badyear Eagle RS-As that came on my SHO. The Fusion Sport interior is extremely quiet. I had the sunroof fully open at 60+ mph and it was library quiet until I stuck my hand outside. This is a significant difference from my Cobalt SS Turbo's factory sunroof which sounds like I opened a portal to the Cloud City of Bespin at 45 mph.

But with the radio off, I noticed my Fusion Sport makes a slight whistling noise that comes from the closed/sealed sunroof. If I close the sunshade, I can no longer hear the sound. With the sunshade open, the whistling sound is slightly apparent. Turning on the radio drowns it out.

No kidding? I’ve had my car for 3 weeks now. I heard the whistling for the first time yesterday. I just assumed it was the snowboard I just installed but now that I think about it... I opened the shade for the first time after the carrier went in.

If you’re right & the car naturally whistles... that’s ridiculous!

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the Contis on my 1st Sport and the Goodyears on my current Sport.

IMHO the Goodyears are grippier and just as quiet.
Neither are much good in the slightest snow.

·
Registered
443 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts

I've weathered many snow storms (multiple inches/feet) thus far with the goodyears. They're not that bad. Not confidence inspiring, but I haven't gotten stuck or went sliding anywhere either.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts