Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, pretty big issue here. Got my sport a month and a half ago and it's got 1400 miles on it. No mods completely stock. Started noticing white smoke coming from the exhaust whIle idling and just today while leaving work a plume of white smoke was billowing out of the exhaust all the way down the highway. It smelled of oil and I immediately took it to the ford dealer and got a loaner car. I also wrote to ford corporate to let them know since this is a new model. Just wondering if I'm the only one or if there are other owners out there that have experienced the same thing or to watch for it. I will update when I hear more information. Definetly sounds like a oil feed line for the turbo but am unsure as of now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Please update the community with any information. If this turns up to be a growing problem, I'd like to have some sort of paper trail in the event we need it.

To that point, I have not experienced this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update number 1. Dealer just called and said they couldn't replicate the problem. I told them that it starts to happen after idling a half hour and about all the smoke that appeared as I was driving home yestarday. I also told them that it's similar to the TSB out for the ecoboost mustang that does the same thing during extended idle. I also pointed them in the direction of the oil feed lines for the turbos. They said they will do what I did to try and replicate the problem. Also I have yet to hear back from ford corporate but will update on that once I hear from them or the dealer again.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Update number 1. Dealer just called and said they couldn't replicate the problem. I told them that it starts to happen after idling a half hour and about all the smoke that appeared as I was driving home yestarday. I also told them that it's similar to the TSB out for the ecoboost mustang that does the same thing during extended idle. I also pointed them in the direction of the oil feed lines for the turbos. They said they will do what I did to try and replicate the problem. Also I have yet to hear back from ford corporate but will update on that once I hear from them or the dealer again.
Do you let the car idle for 30+ min without driving it? Or is this after any amount of driving, 30 minutes of which is idle?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I was going to ask the same thing.. But nonetheless, even after a 30+ minute idle it shouldn't smoke up at all. Glad to hear they're communicating with you and trying to figure it out though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I let it idle for 30+ minutes as I take my lunch in my car and I starts wisping white smoke about after the 30 minute mark.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update 2. Dealer called back and said it was down 2 whole quarts of oil and that it was definetly exiting the exhaust. They told me they haven't found a leak yet and have called ford who are sending someone to try and diagnose it. I hope they find the issue because they gave me a 2010 fusion loaner and as the old saying goes you don't know what you have until it's gone lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
Update 2. Dealer called back and said it was down 2 whole quarts of oil and that it was definetly exiting the exhaust. They told me they haven't found a leak yet and have called ford who are sending someone to try and diagnose it. I hope they find the issue because they gave me a 2010 fusion loaner and as the old saying goes you don't know what you have until it's gone lol
Yikes! Hope things work out ok. I know how hard it can be to go without the sport for two months...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well that's lousy on a new car. From what I know it could be turbo seals, turbo is on its way out, or you're getting blow by. that's bad compression from bad ringlands.

But this is what I've had to deal with on my mazdaspeed 3

·
Registered
868 Posts
Well crap dude. I'm sorry to hear of this. I'm glad to hear that Ford is supposedly jumping on it. They probably don't have a surplus of 2.7TT's laying around for the sport (unless they are the same as the F150's). So they may not want a potential lemon due to lack of parts to materialize out of thin air.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update 3. Ford emailed me back saying they have reviewed my case and have sent it up the chain to the Regional Customer Service Manager. They will call me within 1 business day to get further information and to get in touch with the dealer. So my car must be causing quite a stir. I'm not exactly sure how close this motor is to the other 2.7TT's in the f150 and edge but all I'm hoping is that there isn't any serious damage or a mess up when it was produced. Idk at this point. Nothing with 1400 miles on it should have any issues, so something or someone messed up at the factory

·
Registered
96 Posts
Update 3. Ford emailed me back saying they have reviewed my case and have sent it up the chain to the Regional Customer Service Manager. They will call me within 1 business day to get further information and to get in touch with the dealer. So my car must be causing quite a stir. I'm not exactly sure how close this motor is to the other 2.7TT's in the f150 and edge but all I'm hoping is that there isn't any serious damage or a mess up when it was produced. Idk at this point. Nothing with 1400 miles on it should have any issues, so something or someone messed up at the factory
A week and a half after I go to my car, my interior lights, homelink, and moonroof stopped working. I took it into the dealer thinking it was maybe a blown fuse. Long story short, that wasn't the case, and they had my car for almost 4 days trying to figure out what it was. I called Ford directly to let them know the issue, and why they had my car for that long and with no updates other than "we are still trying to find the problem". Ford contacted the regional customer service manager, and the next today she called me back. And whether it was coincidence or not, the dealer called me back that same day saying the car was fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update 4. Okay so they found the problem and apperently the valve stem seals were leaking for some reason. So ford went ahead and ordered a whole new cylinder head which unfortunately for me will take 3 weeks since Im lucky enough to have the only fusion sport on the planet with this problem. So I'm looking at whole month when its all said and done. My next step is to contact ford corporate again and see if I can get a payment waived since I'm out of a car besides a loaner. I just find it hard to belive that a car with 1400 miles on it needs a cylinder head but what am I gonna do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
At least they were quick to find the issue. I think a waived payment would be fair but not as much fun a driving the sport. Now let's hope it was an isolated issue.
I think it would be wise for us owners to check the oil often just to make sure the level remains the same.
-Lee

1 - 20 of 92 Posts