Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else experienced an exhaust smell in the cabin under moderate to hard acceleration?
The day I drove it home from the dealer I took my wife for a ride, as I was entering the highway, I accelerated about half throttle and within 5 seconds the cabin filled with exhaust .
I disregarded it as a vehicle in front of me.
After 3 months and 4000 miles I'm getting the same situation, over than 1/2 throttle the cabin fills with exhaust.

I've tried HVAC off windows down, HVAC on windows down.
HVAC on/off windows closed, same results, open road no cars around.
Last thing I'm going to check before I visit the dealer is hop in the trunk and close it to see if I see light through any part of the seals.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yes. That's the oil blowing into the turbo or from it into the engine isn't that what a catch can is for? Curious anyone?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Has anyone else experienced an exhaust smell in the cabin under moderate to hard acceleration?
The day I drove it home from the dealer I took my wife for a ride, as I was entering the highway, I accelerated about half throttle and within 5 seconds the cabin filled with exhaust .
I disregarded it as a vehicle in front of me.
After 3 months and 4000 miles I'm getting the same situation, over than 1/2 throttle the cabin fills with exhaust.

I've tried HVAC off windows down, HVAC on windows down.
HVAC on/off windows closed, same results, open road no cars around.
Last thing I'm going to check before I visit the dealer is hop in the trunk and close it to see if I see light through any part of the seals.
Ya that's not normal... I would definitely bring that in to get it checked. If it actually "fills" the car like you're saying, that could be EXTREMELY dangerous..... either way, get it checked for sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just another voice to chime in - I'm at ~12,000 miles and I've driven mine easy or hard, windows up or down, HVAC on or off - never had an exhaust or oil smell in my car unless it's idling in the garage with a door or trunk open.

I definitely think there is something wrong with yours.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I didn't read second part of your statement. Sorry that's what I get for glancing at it and not reading it. Yes if u got issues like that yes for sure. I was thinking of that little bit of smell u get when your beating on it. I am sorry.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
Are you sure it's exhaust and not burning oil? I know a few who've needed new PTUs or PTU seals have gotten a noticeable burning oil smell, since the trans fluid is dripping onto the hot exhaust. Just a thought.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's only when I'm over half throttle on acceleration
I can drive it easy for a month and never smell it
I'll have a my wife in the car and get on it and remember oh crap, let off and she starts to complain.
Way more noticeable with the windows down.
I jumped on it coming home from work windows closed and HVAC off, very faint smell.
With the windows cracked, I almost faint.
If no one else is having the issue I'm going to take the service writer for a ride and get his impression.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not normal or good in anyway. Get it checked out as something is burning or leaking.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I don't think you are having a problem. When you get on the throttle hard on a newer car it gives off a smelly/farty exhaust smell. It is a normal smell coming from your catalytic converter. All my cars when they were newer did that.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
If La Flama Blanca is almost fainting because of the smell, it's 100% not normal. New cars should only give a very slight smell on the outside, and that's more of a hot plastic & metal smell, not exhaust.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Get that checked out. Please! Just read an article about 2 people killed by exhaust gases in the cabin. They didn't think it was that bad and just fell asleep but never woke up. I've never noticed an exhaust smell in mine over 22,000 miles... Even when romping on her. Maybe they forgot to throw in an exhaust gasket down there in Hermosillo...

·
Registered
55 Posts
The 2.7l twin turbo is a thirsty engine and powerful one... and when hard accelerating, the catalytic converters are working extra hard to clean the exhaust and as a consequence you are smelling a sulfur dioxide smell (rotten eggs, farts, etc) that permeates into the cabin from normal vent issues (windows slightly opened, sunroof slightly opened, etc). Under light load, there isn't so much work that the cats have to do, so the smell is never noticeable.

Now... with all this said, if the exhaust smell that the original poster of this thread referred to is happening like all the time , then the car needs to be brought in for a check of exhaust system leaks.

If the concern is Carbon Monoxide, then get it checked. Or you can do what my friend did... he bought a battery operated CO detector and kept it in his car to see if the levels were dangerous (they weren't in his case).

·
Registered
405 Posts
The 2.7l twin turbo is a thirsty engine and powerful one... and when hard accelerating, the catalytic converters are working extra hard to clean the exhaust and as a consequence you are smelling a sulfur dioxide smell (rotten eggs, farts, etc) that permeates into the cabin from normal vent issues (windows slightly opened, sunroof slightly opened, etc). Under light load, there isn't so much work that the cats have to do, so the smell is never noticeable.

Now... with all this said, if the exhaust smell that the original poster of this thread referred to is happening like all the time , then the car needs to be brought in for a check of exhaust system leaks.

If the concern is Carbon Monoxide, then get it checked. Or you can do what my friend did... he bought a battery operated CO detector and kept it in his car to see if the levels were dangerous (they weren't in his case).
I have never once smelled exhaust in my car after a hard pull or idling at a light.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am also experiencing the smell.... It really happens when I get on it, then 30 seconds later....the smell...then it goes away...it ONLY happens when I am stabbing on the accelerator and force the car to down shift and get moving. Look like a trip to the dealer!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am also experiencing the smell.... It really happens when I get on it, then 30 seconds later....the smell...then it goes away...it ONLY happens when I am stabbing on the accelerator and force the car to down shift and get moving. Look like a trip to the dealer!
Exact same here. But the same thing happens with my F150 Ecoboost, and my Sport Trac I had before that. Haven't really ever thought much of it I guess.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is not happening with my Fusion, but it did happen with my SHO. It had a down-pipe leak from the factory due to being misaligned. When I had my turbos replaced they had to remove the down pipes and after they were put back on, no more smell.

·
Super Moderator
1,603 Posts
I think you guys should bring yours in to the dealer as well. Even if it happens to more than one person here that's completely not normal. It's probably something as simple as Brandx51's SHO. I've never smelled exhaust on my Sport or 2 2.0L EB Escapes under any conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Oreo and Rice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok, Me Too!!

Thanks, Ike. Very helpful! 2017 Fusion Sport since March this year. 1500 current miles and thought the issue was something to do with the initial break-in period. Guess not so much. Off to the dealer!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts