Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am hoping to ask if anyone had a similar case.

I got the 2018 FS last month and drove it down on a full tank of 87 grade gas that the seller put in. When it was almost empty, I filled up with 91 (from Shell, supposed to be great quality).

Less than 200km on the new gas, the other day I was working on the car outside and had it idling, and I noticed that my exhaust smells notably like fuel. This was strictly outside the car (never had a smell inside), and it was idling for maybe 15 minutes.

Could it be something new and serious, or is the car just adjusting itself to the new fuel grade? I also noticed driving recently, my shifts have been much less smooth, not sure if that's all related.

I did an OBD2 scan and it showed no errors. My engine air filter is very clean. Car is fully stock. There was no smoke or anything else.

thanks,

·
Registered
563 Posts
How many miles on the car?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
34k km/ 21k miles

I don't know if the previous owner used good gas or not during its lease term. I know the dealership had it on 85/87 gas for maybe a year while they were selling it.

I had a mechanical inspeciotn done and have driven the full tank of 87 gas on it, so it I don't think it was happening before I put the 91 in. Me or the mechanic would have noticed, surely

·
Registered
563 Posts
Blue, these cars do "relearn" your habits especially if the your habits are alot different than the previous owner. Your car is a little too young (miles) to be having intake valve problems unless the previous owner used really bad gas and never changed his oil. The gas smell should not be a major issue IMO. As long as you don't have smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Monitor this issue, continue to use good gas (I use Shell or Chevron 93), If the smell of gas continues, take to a dealership have them check it out.

Another note, when filling your tank I advise you not to top off. You can damage the evap purge canister and you may get some fuel smell there. This can also make for a rough running engine as it effects our vacuum system.

Transmission acting up. This can be the relearning, too. But, to be on the safe side. Check you transmission fluid level. Our cars are known to be low on transmission fluid from the factory. The dip stick is under the Engine Air Filter housing. You will have to take it out to access the dip stick.

Reactions: Engineer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the notes. The dealership filled it to the top with 87, but the change to 91 I only did half a tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts