Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't a good sign. The 2nd major Ecoboost tuner to announce this in the last couple weeks. It sounds like the EPA is starting to crackdown on tuners. Hopefully this doesn't mean an end to tuning.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Damm well HP Tuners for me then lol

·
Registered
350 Posts
Long time, I still keep up with the diesel community and they got hit hard. HnH pretty much got put out of business, as did a few others. Shops doing DPF's deletes got hit the hardest, or just for selling the parts. Things are only gonna get worse, even HP tuners isn't immune from the EPA. Along with Cobb, and anyone else marketing any kind of device that can alter the way a engine runs to the point the emissions systems no longer function as designed by the manufacturers. Down pipes will be the next thing they go after, your more than likely to be ok with catted ones, but non catted down pipes are really a big no no. Give them time, they will go after anyone marketing , and selling them on the web. Only a matter of time I'm afraid.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't think tunes for our cars will ever end, no matter how much the EPA cracks down on the companies that sell it. It may force it to go underground, though. You will have to "know a guy" to buy a tune, which won't be difficult if you are involved in the car scene but will suck for mainstream consumers

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
350 Posts
Issue is support for the hard wear and soft wear you use to do said tuning. I use HP Tuners, and we have updates to the soft wear as time goes bye every so often. I think since I bought my MPVI2 and started tuning mine there's been at least one update, and there not usually small updates. They add can add quite a bit to the program, mostly new tables that the previous versions didn't have in them. Now if say the EPA were to go to HP Tuners and say you can no longer sell or support this product, you no longer get any support, your on your own. I,ve had this happen to me once with my Cobb stuff for the 2013 Fusion I have. They only supported 2013 and 2014 Fusions, and about 3 , 4 years ago they dropped us all together. I still get updates for the Accessport interface, but that's it, and they are mostly just to make it work better with other platforms. It all boils down to the EPA turning things into nice expensive paper weights, they like doing that these days.

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
149 Posts
Figures, they'll come after tuners barely doing anything to the environment, all while riding to and fro on their private jets and yachts to enforce and write these laws. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Figures, they'll come after tuners barely doing anything to the environment, all while riding to and fro on their private jets and yachts to enforce and write these laws. :rolleyes:
True, but there's millions of car enthusiasts zipping around in their modded cars vs. a few hundred politicians in private jets which do meet epa code (just being devil's advocate)

I get the cracking down on catless pipe sales but tuning software (as long as it's not to bypass 02 sensors) is pointless

·
Premium Member
2017 Fusion Sport, 401A, Driver Assistance Package ; 1999 Expedition 5.4 4x4
149 Posts
True, but there's millions of car enthusiasts zipping around in their modded cars vs. a few hundred politicians in private jets which do meet epa code (just being devil's advocate)

I get the cracking down on catless pipe sales but tuning software (as long as it's not to bypass 02 sensors) is pointless

Thats I think where I draw the line as well. Catless systems cause a significant amount of pollution, and it only takes a few times driving behind a loud, catless diesel truck that you start to feel some hatred against it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The funny thing about tuning is, there was a study done years ago and they found that some tuned vehicles made less pollution than the same car stock. The EPA has done a lot over the years, gone are the days when a car would go into limp mode due to a failure. People would just keep driving the car despite having a check engine light on. The system would run rich in an attempt to keep things from getting worse on top of other things. I see cars all the time at work with engine lights on, people dont care because they don't want the burden of a repair bill, and these days that's a bigger deal for a lot of people than it was a year ago. One thing that didn't help any of us was all the kids that went out n bought a cheap diesel truck, then go the trouble to make it " roll coal " on every one they can when they leave a light. When I was more of a presence on the diesel pages years ago, we would see these post all the time. Some green horn kid wants to roll coal because in their small mind it was cool to do. Happy to say things are changing, a lot of the teams are promoting cleaner running trucks, even on the track. Tuning has gotten better , as have the systems involved.

Reactions: DarkArkAngel

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My recommendation is to select a tuner now, get your car tuned with a couple of tunes, get a few revisions and call it good while you can. This may be your last chance to do so. Even if you don't plan on using the tune until you're out of warranty, just get it done now.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Also I hate the smell of catless gas exhaust, my Ducati came with the Termignoni exhaust and i am contemplating going back to the stock cats/mufflers. I ran an off-road X for my Mustang GT and while it sounded great, the smell wasn't that great in the summer.

I wonder if Brew City got fined by the EPA for selling to CA? Or maybe a CA customer got the tune from out of state? It's about as ridiculous as banning bayonet lugs and folding stocks in the 1994 AWB.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
ZFG racing is not taking any new tune customers for 3 to 6 months

·
Registered
15 Posts
agreed. and they are doing absolutely nothing to the "environment". this infuriates me.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Non catted down pipes are the big culprit, they got people that look for that kind of stuff on the net. Then they target them for fines, I hear that was how H n S got busted years ago. Rumor had it the EPA fine them a million dollars for selling DPF deletes and installing them on trucks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts