Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read the reviews of the Fusion Sport coming out and there doesn't seem to be a consistent explanation of the engine sounds coming into the cabin. Some reviews, Car&Driver, talk about "amps up the artificially enhanced engine sounds", others have mentioned the noise reduction electronics letting in the engine sounds when the sport mode is selected. So is there any sense about whether the sounds heard inside the car are real or synthesized?

Ken

·
Registered
176 Posts
They use a sound syn poser to enhance the intake sound, they do it on the ST also

Reactions: qwerty3089

·
Registered
624 Posts
I agree, doesn't sound bad, but it isn't authentic. Knowing that bothers me more than the actual sound.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would guess that they have a way of electronically enhancing the existing sound; I was just curious whether there has been a definitive explanation.

Ken

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think Ford did it for a couple of reasons, one is to keep the sound levels down in the back and enhance them in the cockpit, Idk just my 2 cents. To me it still needs a little exhaust note, I plan on removing the muffler"rear drag anchor " LOL and replacing it with the Borla Pro Xs soon and see how that works? and new tips, I will post some sound clips when I am done, probably not till Jan with the Holidays and such.

Reactions: Komplx

·
Registered
624 Posts
They use a sound syn poser to enhance the intake sound, they do it on the ST also
I'm pretty sure there is no sound symposer like on the ST, purely produced/enhanced with the audio system. I am very curious to the exact particulars though, as I find it interesting that those with new air filters hear a noticeable difference. DaveE, is this difference noticeable with Windows up?

The general consensus regarding as to why Ford used the audio system to give owners a semblance of sporting sound, is that they are also trying to make the car quiet by using increased sound proofing (which limits the engine/exhaust sound from entering the cabin in the first place) and the use of noise cancelling. So in their efforts to remove the noise we don't want to hear their removing the "authentic" sounds some would like to hear. Catch22. Which could be one reason they didn't engineer the Sport to have the sounds we want to hear in the first place. Oh, and the fact that we are still actually driving a family sedan.

Hopefully in the future we will get improved noise cancelling that has the ability to remove undesirable noise while still allowing authentic desired sounds to be heard. Pipe dream?

I'm curious to learn how much improved in-cabin sound we can get with exhaust modifications, without being able to disable the noise cancellation and artifical audio effects. The volume or perceived volume of "sporting sounds" is increased in sport mode. Is this due to increased volume by the audio system, or decreased noise cancellation or both?

Wow, didn't think I could talk so much about this topic.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I have the AFE filter as well, and while I can hear a difference, it is not an extreme difference. Not sure what the difference between Dave's and mine is, but I don't get the same feeling he does.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I have the AFE dry as well and I have put it in / taken it out a few times. Once for an oil change. But I do notice a difference. It is a noticeable amount deeper with the AFE. Not a TON, but noticeable. Also, low end power seems to me more "available" than with the stock filter. Definitely feels "free'er".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts