Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I smell a fuel/oil mix located in the engine compartment after driving and then stopping and turning off the engine....it dissipates over time...is this normal for direct injected engines? Does anyone else experience the same smell?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My underhood doesn't emit any noticeable smells after a drive now, however there was a warm oil smell from a small oil pan leak, plus a burnt oil smell from the PTU leak I had. Never noticed a fuel smell.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Apparently fuel contamination of the oil is pretty standard with the Ecoboost GDI engines-no one is sure if it's looser rings, or just running real rich to prevent detonation in the reading I've done. As long as you're using full synthetic, changing every 5k miles or so and the oil level isn't actually growing significantly from fill to fill, you should be OK. It's possible a catch can would helpful when one is available.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
moved from intro forum.

Please be sure to post in the appropriate forum sections. The intro forum is there to introduce yourself and your sweet ride. Please head on over and make a proper introduction and tell us more about your car. Also, pics are a must!

Unfortunately, I can't help much with your funky aroma without more details. If the car is stock and the oil cap is secure, I personally wouldn't be too concerned unless it's a REALLY strong smell. So far, it seems these engines like to dilute the oil pretty heavily during break in, so if you're still on factory oil, you might consider changing it depending on your mileage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts