Ford Fusion V6 Sport Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this happen twice so far and was wondering if any other owner has experienced the same. As I was pulling into my garage, the cooling fan suddenly runs at full blast even after the ignition has turned off. It will stay running forever if I don't disconnect the battery. My instrument panel's temp gauge was right under the mid point and my Ultragauge reported normal temperatures of under 200 degrees on both occasions.
I pulled the car out of the garage to see if that would reduce any trapped heat but it made no difference. Neither does starting and shutting off the engine. The last time, I drove it for an errand it and when I arrived at my destination 20 minutes later, the cooling fan did not turn on when I parked it - luckily.
No trouble codes/pending trouble codes or check engine lights were triggered. No signs of lost coolant.
This is the only problem I've had with my Fusion Sport (besides the dead battery which was fixed with SSM 46433). I wish I could find a way to permanently fix this...

·
Registered
149 Posts
are you driving the car hard and then just turning it off? i know some cars have a "failsafe" for the turbos to not burn up and the fans will go on for 1 to 2 mins to help cool them down. But they should turn off. If i run my car hard ill always let it sit with the engine on for a few mins before turning it off. ive had the fans turn on before but they do turn off after a min or so

·
Registered
127 Posts
My fans run sometimes after I shut the car off. Usually not more than 10 seconds but I never run my car hard before I shut it down. I agree with BenFtWorth though. If you run it hard, let it run for a few minutes before shutoff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't run my car hard prior to the 2 incidents. I am acutely aware of letting the turbos cool down before turning off the engine especially on very hot days with the AC running. The 3 stops signs on my street further reinforces taking it easy on the way home.

The first time it happened, I drove to my Ford dealer and they were able to see if for themselves. There was no danger of overheating according to the temperature gauge. Unfortunately, they let it run for at least 30 minutes and by the time they went to pull it into an open bay to work on it, the fans stopped on their own. During that time, they gave me an overnight rental since I needed to have a working vehicle.

·
Registered
149 Posts
wow. ya that's way too long for them to run. please keep us posted on what Ford says.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I didn't run my car hard prior to the 2 incidents. I am acutely aware of letting the turbos cool down before turning off the engine especially on very hot days with the AC running. The 3 stops signs on my street further reinforces taking it easy on the way home.

The first time it happened, I drove to my Ford dealer and they were able to see if for themselves. There was no danger of overheating according to the temperature gauge. Unfortunately, they let it run for at least 30 minutes and by the time they went to pull it into an open bay to work on it, the fans stopped on their own. During that time, they gave me an overnight rental since I needed to have a working vehicle.
I hate to say it but if it does it again grab a beer and time it! See if it kills the battery or not and how long it runs for. You may just make it hot going uphill stop and go to your house? Or maybe a temp sensor issue? But fully letting the car do it's thing and knowing what's happening may help diagnosis.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
626 Posts
His issue is what some of us want after racing to allow better IC cooling, but of course being able to control it.
Vert,
Don't forget about this.
http://www.fusionsportforums.com/forum/377-engine-technical-discussion/11433-manual-fan-switch.html

Anyway, I too have noticed my fans run when shutting the car off, but the thing is it's been in the
teens for temperature, I didn't think they should be running but I also ran my defroster maybe 5 minutes before
I got to the house but turned it off 2 minutes before I shut the car off, since the defrost runs the AC,( which turns the fans on), will the fans continue to run for a few minutes even after the AC/defrost is shut off?
That's what I was assuming it was.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had this happen twice so far and was wondering if any other owner has experienced the same. As I was pulling into my garage, the cooling fan suddenly runs at full blast even after the ignition has turned off. It will stay running forever if I don't disconnect the battery. My instrument panel's temp gauge was right under the mid point and my Ultragauge reported normal temperatures of under 200 degrees on both occasions.
I pulled the car out of the garage to see if that would reduce any trapped heat but it made no difference. Neither does starting and shutting off the engine. The last time, I drove it for an errand it and when I arrived at my destination 20 minutes later, the cooling fan did not turn on when I parked it - luckily.
No trouble codes/pending trouble codes or check engine lights were triggered. No signs of lost coolant.
This is the only problem I've had with my Fusion Sport (besides the dead battery which was fixed with SSM 46433). I wish I could find a way to permanently fix this...
My fusion is doing the same thing n it's killed my battery a couple times I also am not running it hard everything u have said is exactly what iv delt with any suggestions would b great fully appreciated

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Are you running an aftermarket tune? If so, does the fan issue still happen with the stock tune?
Do you have FORScan? Can you monitor some of the fan PIDs to see what's going on? Is your ECT reading super higher? Could be a bad ECT sensor or something causing the fan relay to turn on. I'm not sure if the fan is supposed to have power with the key off / engine off.

I do know that on my SHO sometimes the tuning would cause the PCM to glitch out and cause the fan to run all the time, even after a cold start in the winter. But it would always turn off when the key was off / engine off.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As the original poster, I haven't experienced this issue ever since and I'm not running a tune. However, I suspect that the root cause is the fan relay getting lazy and stuck on. The relay and fuse box is located in the engine compartment. The owner's manual shows 3 possibilities:
#32 - Electric fan 1 relay​
#38 - Electric fan 2 relay​
#39 - Electric fan coil 2 and 3 relay​

Pulling the correct relay should stop the fan and allow you to verify if it was commanded to turn on by checking for voltage on the input pin or if is stuck on by measuring for continuity on the relay.

I have personally verified a failed relay that was stuck in the energized (on) position on a washing machine. Luckily, it turned out to be a much cheaper fix than a control board in that case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts